1/6th Welbike Mods

pzrwest

1/6th Welbike Mods

Post by pzrwest »

I received a Welbike from my good friend and fellow 1/6th'r dario, and decided to see if I could make the front end stearable and here's what I came up with.
I removed the front end from the frame and separated it into 3 main sections, the handlebar section, stearing post section, and the front fork section. I drilled a hole through the fork section and inserted a length of brass tubing. I then drilled out the stearing post and the lower end of the handlebar section.
the next 2 pics show the parts temporarily fitted together
next 2 pics show the stearing post re-attached to the bike frame
The next group of pics show the handlebars and forks re-installed into the stearing post
The last 2 pics have none other than Wilber Write sitting astride the Welbike
I will be adding control cables as I go along. I may try and see if I can make the back wheel rotate. I have managed to free up the brake drum side, now it is just a matter of figureing out how to do the sprocket side. As always comments are welcomed....Harold
PS... Just curious...How did they start these bikes as I don't see any kick starter or pull cord starter on it?
Hans Gowert

Re: 1/6th Welbike Mods

Post by Hans Gowert »

i think you have to bump start welbikes, not to sure
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

very good as always Harold ,there was a mad old man in my village when I was a kid and he had one of these bikes
ImageImageImageImageImage
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Hans you are correct I did a google search and found out that is exactly how they were started, or as we used to call it "Bum Starting"
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

h i am allways amazed at your work
simple and fun

and well presented
nice one fella
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

pzrwest wrote:Hans you are correct I did a google search and found out that is exactly how they were started, or as we used to call it "Bum Starting"

i only know this because when i was in oosterbeek in sept , 2 guys had welbikes and they kept running with it to start it so presumed they were bump starting :) or there was something seriously wrong with it :)
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

[Update:
Well I decided to make the rear wheel rotate. I first slipped the chain off the sprocket then drilled out the axel from the sprocket side. I separated the sprocket and the brake flange from the wheel and glued them back in place useing a piece of brass tubing to aligh them. I then drilled the hole in the wheel to the size of the brass tubing. I glued a section of stretched sprue into the end of the tubing for something to grip while inserting the axel. Now it's just a matter of putting a drop of cyano to secure the brass axel, trim the sprue flush and and add a dab of OD paint. here are a couple pics

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”