Some 1/35th armor and 1/16th figures

labrador

Some 1/35th armor and 1/16th figures

Post by labrador »

Hello,

I thought i'd share some of my recent work:

First up is a Dragon 1/35th scale porsche turreted king tiger. Marked up as Anneliese of the Schwere Heer Panzer Abteilung 503 in Hungary. Anneliese was photographed in early 1945 with a pristine coat of white paint. This is how i imagined she'd look after a couple of weeks action during the battle around lake Balaton and operation fruhlingserwachen

Next is the old Dragon 1/35th kit modified with the stowage pattern of Schwere Heeres Panzer Jager Abteilung 654 in Normandy. Zimmerit was applied using Grumbacher acrylic Gesso and a scribing knife.

Lastly, a Tamiya 1/16th scale SS grenadier in pea pattern camouflage:

Hans Gowert

Re: Some 1/35th armor and 1/16th figures

Post by Hans Gowert »

outstanding
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Love the first one with the worn winter cam who did you do it ?
ImageImageImageImageImage
labrador

Post by labrador »

Thanks guys,

I used the hairspray weathering method:

The winter scheme was done by spraying the standard german three color paint scheme in wavy lines on the model in acrylic paint. The finish was then sealed with a lacquer based clear spray and given some time to dry. When dry, I used hairspray to liberally cover the model in a thick semi permanent clear coat. Before the hairspray dried completely, i sprayed a liberal coat of white paint. ( i could have cried when i did that. I was really happy with the three color scheme). Now the fun part... when the white paint is dry to the touch but not fully stable, take a stiff brush. dip it in warm water and sweep it across the white finish. Parts of the hairspray undercoat will come off and begin to look like chipped and worn paint. Repeat the process over well worn areas where the crew would normally pass. Use a stabbing motion for more wear until satisfied. it's best to practice on an old kit or scrap plastic to gain confidence.

Subsequent weathering was done using oil paint washes (diluted burnt sienna thinned in lighter fluid and made to flow into the detail areas...subseqently wipe with tissue dipped in more lighter fluid), artists pastel chalk for rust and mud and even soil to get that final gritty muddy effect.

I have tried the technique as well to simulate chipped three color paint on a dark blue fallschirmjager helmet:

Not sure if it comes of as authentic but i'm pretty happy with it.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Ah so thats the Hair spray weathering method thanks for that info I will give it a try
ImageImageImageImageImage
labrador

Post by labrador »

You're welcome! good luck with your attempt. feel free to ask any more questions if you need more info.
Martin Webster

Post by Martin Webster »

I know you posted a few months back but if your interested here is a article on the hairspay method.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... =&ie=UTF-8
Martin Ernst

Kp.2-PzGren.Rgt.60-116.Pz.Div "Der Windhund"
http://www.windhund.org.uk
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
(Murphy's Law)
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

wow ..very very nice work labrador
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
labrador

Post by labrador »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! thought i'd post a few more...

Dragon 1/35th scale Tiger 1 done up as one of Scwere Paz abt 101 at Villers Bocage:

A Panther A from Wiking:

My take on a late war Jagdpanther:

Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Gotta say I like your restraint with the paint chipping effects - you see some models that look as if they've spent a year on a construction site when in practice they might have lasted a month before being knocked out!

I'm trying to work up the courage to build up some old Dragon kits I've had for years now... so much good work around it's a bit daunting! :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
labrador

Post by labrador »

I know what you mean about dragon kits. It takes me about half a month to actually attempt to separate 1 part from the sprue. The number of parts in kits these days is really daunting. A far cry from the days of the old tamiya kits before reference books taught us everything we had was wrong. The work people churn out these days is really amazing compared to what was around when i started out in the 70's.
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

amazing work 8) 8)
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
warren007

Post by warren007 »

outstanding and thanks for the chance to see such fine workmanship im sure if you ever came to sell them you would have many offers me for 1
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

You have an excellent eye for detail and great skill - fantastic work, thank you for showing your work. Excellent, really excellent.

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”