Formation of New Volksgrenadier Unit

Any group news, info or publicity you'd like to share.
Seidler

Formation of New Volksgrenadier Unit

Post by Seidler »

Hello,

I am looking to form a Volksgrenadier unit as i am now 50 and feel a bit old to be doing elite units. I have spent most of my 10 + years re-enacting SS & figured i had 3 ways I could go:

1. Promote myself, although as living history/battling is mainly my thing I cant really see myself running around a field with a red stripe down my leg,
2 Volkssturm - as above its not really applicable for battling or
3. Volksgrenadier.

I always was interested in the generic Heer look and wanted to do something that wasnt elite or 'political' - just late war draftees in standard heer field greys with smocks and helmet covers as appropriate.

My idea was to form an umbrella organization to let people do as much or as little as they liked. I can only do 3 or 4 things a year & my preference is for battling/living history in the field. Static displays arent particularly my thing but if thats what interests you then fine do that - I know some people do it brilliantly... or you can do both.

I wanted this to be a serious organization with high standards but i expect people to police themselves - it wouldnt be an excuse for sloppy dress or low standards. I would expect this to appeal to people who have been doing this for a while but possibly want to be a bit more flexible. And by being a serious 'official' organization we could benefit from event invitations and private battle invitations

My idea was that people can transfer 'sideways' - ie keep any rank they have if they want. The unit would need Nco's and officers or you could start at the bottom - my rank has always been SS-Mann as i have had no particular interest in promotion. I also have no particular desire to be in charge of this unit

If anyone is good at organization that would be great - its not particularly my forte, or if someone wanted to do a website that would also be great

My idea is to put back the enjoyment into re-enacting - i am aware of how units disintegrate and tear themselves apart internally & if we can set things up so that people can participate however thay want/are able maybe we could avoid this?

I had thought maybe rather than portraying an actual historical unit we could create a generic unit so we can be involved in every opportunity available. There is a list of German divisions in WW2 on Wiki - there are plenty of gaps in the numbering system to create one of our own

So if this appeals to anyone please contact me through here or on my email guy.siddle1@btinternet.com & hoepfully we could sort something out

Regards, Guy
Salerno43

Re: Formation of New Volksgrenadier Unit

Post by Salerno43 »

I'm interested mate.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Why not keep the group name generic and change the regiment/division number to suit the event? Volks'44? Grenadier UK?
Tags could be for ersatz battalions?
Seidler

Post by Seidler »

SplinterA wrote:Why not keep the group name generic and change the regiment/division number to suit the event? Volks'44? Grenadier UK?
Tags could be for ersatz battalions?
Yep that could work.. I'm up for any suggestions
Seidler

Post by Seidler »

Salerno43 wrote:I'm interested mate.
Great, that makes 2 of us then!

As for a unit name I had thought about 'Volksgrenadier der Wehrmacht' which could be abbreviated to VW, i'm sure theres some catchy logo we could use...
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Guy, I've PM'd you.
Seidler

Post by Seidler »

paulmfjr2 wrote:Guy, I've PM'd you.
Thanks Paul, reply sent

Guy
Salerno43

Post by Salerno43 »

Go with Volks Deutch - that way we abbreviate as VD :lol:

I'll get my coat...
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Sounds interesting, Guy. :)
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

If anyone else is interested in a front line, 1943-45 Heer based living history group, please take a look at our website, and if you like what you see, get in touch.
'Die Soldaten' - www.germansoldier.co.uk

Cheers,

Paul

Return to “Your Reenactment Group”