The amazing story of Lauri Törni

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
LHistorian

The amazing story of Lauri Törni

Post by LHistorian »

Is there a *reason why this gents story hasn't been made more popular???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_T%C3%B6rni

Lauri Törni Is an amazing and quite diverse character, fighting for Finland, SS Nord and then US special forces in Vietnam?! This has got to be made into a movie!! He ranks up there with Erich Hartmann in my humble opinion. Whoever said history was boring eh?

*Answering my own question, bloody political correctness :lol: :evil:
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"
saddler

Re: The amazing story of Lauri Törni

Post by saddler »

Define "more popular"?

He's very well known in Finland & quite a lot of articles/books are out about his life - just the majority are in Finnish not English.

Lack of popularity in the USA is not always a bad thing with the "Hollywood" treatment often falling short of the truth or otherwise giving a half arsed attempt with lots of added BS for dramatic effect, plot streamlining, etc.

The Finnish national war archive photos are all on-line now & several of them are of Torni during his Finnish army service.
LHistorian

Re: The amazing story of Lauri Törni

Post by LHistorian »

I totally agree with you on that saddler, the film industry has been quite known to take some great historical characters and events just to twist, botch, fantasize etc. just to apply them to mainstream, which is extremely sad most times. But I still hold true on the fact that if a decent director, even one who must abide to most "hollywoodisms" if you will, was able to bring to the silver screen a story on him would still be an interesting watch than to have none at all.

I also apologize, i do keep forgetting that this is a multi-national reaching forum and some countries have much more access to some areas of studies than others. So should have better phrased my ''More Popular" statement to "More widespread". But it did get my point across that I was meaning to alleviate to the forum users :D

All in all a fantastic research on the man, and would be awesome to see any web links you might have for him?
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"

Return to “Anything WWII!”