private battles were have they all gone?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

meyer

private battles were have they all gone?

Post by meyer »

Now don't get me wrong i an't haveing a pop at anyone but is it just me or is there a total lack of battles this winter apart from dukes c :?:
Hans Gowert

Re: private battles were have they all gone?

Post by Hans Gowert »

money ?
paul das reich

Post by paul das reich »

at nearly ten bob a shot they can go as far away as poss, especialy as we axis tend to put rounds at a rate or 10 to 1 against any allied forces.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I'm new to this, is it because of a lack of organization?
Regards,
Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Where to start!?

1) A thankless task to organise one - lots of bureaucracy theses days (H&S, Risk assessments, Insurance, permissions etc)

2) A financial risk to take, attendances have got lower over past few years

3) Disagreements as to what type of event to put on - a full blown tactical 'living history' weekend or at the other end of the scale an out-and-out blatfest? The two 'camps' do not see eye to eye!

4) WW2 Airsoft seems to have made a lot of progress and I'm sure has diverted a lot of folk who would formerly have done these reenactment jollies...

Sad all the same...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Or, eveyone is shell-shocked from all the events during the spring and summer and have gone into 'winter quarters' to recoop and rest!!! :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
JDR

Post by JDR »

You can add the loss of sites to battle on to the list.

Also it seemed to get popular for many reenactors to just battle on the saturday and leave on the saturday teatime thus leaving the sunday to be an half empty event, which can put a downer on things.

I used to enjoy the private battles in the winter months but the older ive got the more i have started to feel the cold and im only 41 :shock: :lol: So i dont bother with them any more for that reason. Just dont like the idea of a drive home without having a decent sleep.

i know when i 1st started reenacting there were more private events then public in the year just goes to show how things have chnaged over the years.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Pug42 wrote:Where to start!?

4) WW2 Airsoft seems to have made a lot of progress and I'm sure has diverted a lot of folk who would formerly have done these reenactment jollies...

Sad all the same...
I have known a few lads move onto airsoft and it does have a big part in re-enactment's future. Post war conflicts have alot of airsofters. I plan to get an airsoft weapon at some point.

I assume that in the past large groups organized their own private battles, guaranteeing numbers who will commit to the event. Now, there are smaller groups and not many of them talk to each other.

H & S is a little more complicated nowadays!

Any idea how to fix these problems, folks?

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Organised WWII airsoft events have only really been happening for less than three years in the UK, but great progress has been made by some groups in putting on events which are leaning towards living history, rather than the open day blatfest that you will experience at airsoft sites around the country. There is a crossover occurring both ways, e.g. the 16th SS attending many reenactment shows. Having helped organise two WWII airsoft events, I know all about the stresses and strains of it - I think it's essential to have a good team of people organising together and pulling in the same direction.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
JDR

Post by JDR »

Another cause may be that more groups over the winter go on oversea trips to the likes of Berlin, Normandy etc with the cost of cheap flights and hotels booked over the net you can have a lads jolly for roughly the same price you would spend attending private battle.

Has the hobby just moved towards a different direction? like i mentioned before when i 1st started out reenacting there were more battles than shows now your lucky to have 1 or 2 battles in a year.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Well, "Das Reich" will have done 4 this year after "Dukes" next month.
4 private events and 9 'official' public events. Its been a busy year for us.

I'm looking to organise something on a small scale "up North" early next year........ :wink:
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Theres a good one in Jan/Feb time. :D
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Edelweise

Post by Edelweise »

we at GD kampf group have organised a really good living history ost front battle in march. senarios, piro and vehicles, a battle with the correct regiments in place at the correct time of year should be good. :twisted:
Pete Skillman

Post by Pete Skillman »

Pug42 wrote:Where to start!?

1) A thankless task to organise one - lots of bureaucracy theses days (H&S, Risk assessments, Insurance, permissions etc)

2) A financial risk to take, attendances have got lower over past few years

3) Disagreements as to what type of event to put on - a full blown tactical 'living history' weekend or at the other end of the scale an out-and-out blatfest? The two 'camps' do not see eye to eye!

Sad all the same...
Well David has hit the nail there...
I have booked Pip Pk for a private battle/Liv Hist event with John Oxlade in attendance, all squared away at his usual hut!...
The scenario is good and simple, plenty for front line digging along a valley,european wooded area etc..
HOWEVER... trying to get some enthusiasm from groups to go is like trying to raise the dead!...

Financialy I cannot afford the $$ on the Ins/Land hire on the risk that some groups may turn up or not, some say they will go then just dont bother informiong me that their pulling out..but its too late by then as I have booked and paid up etc.. some dont want it which is fine, others cant get their groups motivated if there is not pub about...at the moment its a goer but seeing that GD have one in March maybe that will do it for those who want to battle?..
Pete
Edelweise

Post by Edelweise »

pete the one we have is gd groups only and maybe an ss group as the senario is written sorry if this has f*&%) up for you it wasnt intensional. what are the dates you have booked mate ?

also i would love you to book the swinerton battle again this was and still is the best battle ever done please keep intouch and we will try and help out best we can.

if you want to chat contact me on skype carlbourke@hotmail.co.uk ( its free) :wink:
regards

carl
Last edited by Edelweise on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”