Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Walther

Re: Tankfest 2011 – The Most Explosive Weekend In History!

Post by Walther »

Just sent our attendance list over to you - let me know if you get it ok mate.

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Got it - Impressive - Have replied and mind is working overtime as to how to display to best effect.
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
FMROMMEL wrote:It all sound very good Paul, Having worked with the museum in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 during Tankfest, I know exactly what sort of things you and your crew are having to deal with, and I really do wish you all the very best with this event. Lets hope you have the weather to go with the battle. I look forward to seeing the many pictures when the event is over.
Exactly the sort of things we are having to deal with are a very conscientious and enthusiastic Workshop Manager. Who has been so helpful and accommodating to the best of his ability given the short notice at which we took on this event. A Commercial Manager and His Events Manager who have been brilliant the whole way through - going the extra mile where needed and making us feel welcome on each and every one of our arranged visits...... Pleased as they are to be working in close partnership with an outside entity. And finally a curatorial staff who, whilst having different goals and outlooks, have been superb in their efforts to provide the resources needed by these strange people who dress up in order that Tankfest can continue to be a major fixture in the Museum's Calendar.

And that's not bullshit - that's the situation as it stands.

Our outlook is that this is a commercial show to entertain the public and to raise much needed revenue for a Nationally Important Museum. We don't mind or care if it's a "Little Bit Disneyland" - We will forgive the odd coke can or incorrect web strap. Our primary function is to provide a service to the Museum. Our secondary function is to provide a good experience to our friends and guests in the re-enactment/living history community. AFRA is about people and choice and freedom and expression. Not about personality and position. I hope that makes ours and the museum's position crystal clear.

Sorry Paul, I think you are reading my post a little off there, when I said "I know exactly what sort of things you and your crew are having to deal with" I was refering to getting every one the best locations for their groups, making sure the right Armour was in the right place and was easily removable for the museums needs during the days events, making sure the Straw, Water and Fire wood are all on order, The digger driver knows whats he has to do, and is sure we will be able to restore the ground to is former look, these and the many logistical problems that need sorting for getting all the armoured vehicles for other collections and all the reenactors their. I know both David and Mike are working very hard and there is no question about the museums efforts. Just wanting to clear that up before people get the wrong idea, We have had a good run of events there and we are glad you have decided to all the way south to entertain the locals. Good luck and all the Best
http://www.forceschildrenstrust.org
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

No need to apologise Wayne - Just good old Yorkshire straight talking. Being originally from Rovrum (well Rawmarsh) you can probably appreciate that. So no offence taken, perceived or given.
As yet we have had no problems - logistical or otherwise - This event is very laid back and is falling into place organically. Different crew, different approach. Simples.

Back on topic please.
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

Paul, I know you will have everything under control, but should you need any local assistance please let me know.
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Looking forward to this event, my first at Bovie
(Secretly bricking it too, in case I screw up!)
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Milische

Post by Milische »

Hi is there anyone from the North that needs a lift or can give me a lift down to Bovington as this is the only way I can afford to make it if I can share fuel costs! I live in Leeds and would be happy to pick up on the way there!
Cheers Steve Fjr6
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Aaaaw Steve - I'd love to but have only booked a short wheelbase - Have to set off evening Wednesday - Might be too early for ya........... And we got LOADS of kit to cram in......... :cry:
Milische

Post by Milische »

Lmao thanks mate , ye Wednesday is a tad early for me ! I seem to remember it taking 12 hours to get to Bovington the last time Andy and I got a lift from your good self :shock:
hansritter

Post by hansritter »

Is the Tiger coming out to play?
Feldgendarmerie Hauptfeldwebel Johann Ritter.
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

12th May 2011 Tiger 131 - Conservation Update

Conservation work has continued on Tiger 131 over the spring, with a detailed inspection of its engine concluding that running the vehicle has not caused any undue damage.

The findings support the Museum’s position of running this historic vehicle for the previous 6 years, and serves to reinforce the intention to return Tiger 131 to full running order. The project has been sponsored by the Heritage Lottery Fund, PRISM Fund, and generous Museum supporters who combined have contributed over £47,000 to the project, but had the evidence indicated undue damage and wear from such usage, this would not have been an option.

But the news is not good on all fronts, with this complex war machine continuing to present some major engineering challenges which have required detailed solutions.

Despite a great deal of optimism at the start of the year, and no less hard work form the museum’s Workshop staff, it is now clear that Tiger 131 will not be in running order until later this year. Whilst it will remain on public display during this time, it will not be ready to take part in arena displays during TANKFEST 2011.

“Our initial completion target was always TANKFEST,” said Tank Museum Curator David Willey. “But we can’t afford to cut corners on such an important conservation project. Whilst this will be a disappointment we know that Tiger fans will understand this.”

There will still be plenty of other unique and fascinating vehicles on show during this year’s TANKFEST such as the imposing Tortoise – which will be running for the first time in 60 years. There will also be two mock battles this year, with both the British Army and the All Fronts Re-enactment Association providing explosive combat demonstrations.

David said; “We know that a lot of our supporters and visitors will be disappointed at this news”, “but the Tiger will be on display in the museum and we are pushing on with the work and hope it will be completed this autumn.”

from theMuseums own website.
http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexpl ... XMENU_=top
Marlene Weissfeld

Post by Marlene Weissfeld »

Hoffman Grink wrote:I have booked a van for the Living History pitch specially -
Period of course!
now i am glad we will be there :D :D :D
Marlene Weissfeld

Post by Marlene Weissfeld »

Reinhard wrote:More information for all those attending :D
There will be a Genuine 40s Hairdresser available to give all participation re-enactors a FREE haircut or if needed a pincurl or roll! Genuine German Red Cross Nurse will be operating from a Soldatenheim and First Aid post so book your slot early! Finish off your impression with a real, 1940s Short back and sides.
Rich (AFRA)
my salon is packed ready to go
looking forward to see you all there

feel free to book now --- limited slots left
(just send a pm)

micky :)
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

Marlene Weissfeld wrote:
Hoffman Grink wrote:I have booked a van for the Living History pitch specially -
Period of course!
now i am glad we will be there :D :D :D
cheers pd :roll:
i will need a second mortgage now..you know what madam is like for her ice cream :wink:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well there is a week to go and the exhilaration is almost beyond bearing. So many people have contributed to this event. So many people coming many, many miles to take part. So many good displays being planned and so much co-operation between various groups.
The Museum is being very helpful. They are looking forwards to a new approach and what it will yield. We haven't put as many armoured vehicles on to re-enactor/living history displays as we would have liked and for various reasons too. This is being looked at with the Museum team and we will look to make more available in 2012.

The battle is planned and the props are being assembled. Pyrotechnics are ordered and will be collected on the way down. This is promising to be phenomenal as it is the AFRA pyro team who are doing this. We are known for our spectacle and this will be no exception. Simple storyline with exciting visuals - helped by many re-enactors who we have worked with before including some of the most experienced "Battlers" in the UK. If everyone gets their bit right it should come together and be the icing on the cake. As already kindly pointed out, Tiger 131 is not going to be moving but a rare treat is going to be a restored Panzer IV which the Museum has also said we can have in the battle........ Hopefully this will be achievable and it will add to the North African Flavour...... Two PzIIIs and a PzIV as well as Rommel!!!!! what more could we ask for?

The AFRA team are on site from Thursday AM and will be helping exhibitors to get set up and settled. There is a Re-enactor camping area on site behind Heras fencing and we aim to get those who need quiet or off display camping set up too.

If you need a contact number for me then PM me - I can access this wherever I am so will be looking in all week.

If you are involved in the battle and have not yet registered - do so please.

Most importantly - When you come, come with a can do attitude, don't expect everything to be perfect and go 100% smoothly. Be prepared to compromise here and there and give and take. That way we will not have any "problems" but will meet any challenges we encounter. Come with a cheerful head on and keep smiling - Be prepared to have some fun and talk to loads of people. Everyone who does will qualify for a free ice cream - Nicky's buying! (not Nick Beardshaw!!!! :o )

Return to “UK reenactment and events”