New Book - Russian Asphalt

Moderator: Pirkka

SS3

New Book - Russian Asphalt

Post by SS3 »

Russian Asphalt: Memoirs of the Waffen-SS Soldier on the Eastern Front

This new title, written by Hazel Toon-Thorn (wife of LSSAH Panzer IV driver, Manfred Thorn), who has compiled a series of recollections from former soldiers of the Waffen-SS.

These recollections cover all aspects of the fighting against the Soviets between 1941 and 1945, from the heady days of advance into Russia, right up to fighting near Berlin. The book features lots of interview excerpts and is placed within an overall framework of what was unfolding during those years.

This is a collection of personal memories from various soldiers who ranged from Grenadiers to Kompanie Commanders, and also include a soldier recognised at the highest level for his bravery by being awarded the Knight’s Cross to the Iron Cross. These memories begin the heady days of the initial Barbarossa invasion in mid-1941 and end near the capital of the Third Reich, Berlin, in 1945.

The men who have been kind enough to recount their memories served in the following Waffen-SS formations: Leibstandarte SS-Adolf Hitler (Friedel Speckhardt, Manfred Thorn, Kurt Sametreiter, Erwin Bartmann, Georg Ott, Gert Pries), SS-Wiking (Paul Rosch, Gunther Adam, Jan Munk and Heinz Graber), plus Hans Kemnitzer who provides a great insight into life as a Russian prisoner of war.

A great insight into the personal experiences of the 'soldier on the ground' during this titanic military struggle.

Soft cover, A5 format, 236 pages, 70 photographs and 6 maps. Price: £17.00

Postage prices to be confirmed once location is known.

PM me for your order.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 20.32.03.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 20.32.03.png (82.29 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
SS3

Re: New Book - Russian Asphalt

Post by SS3 »

109 copies reserved or paid for / posted to date.

21 left of the first print run.
SS3

Post by SS3 »

Update - all copies of the first run have been sold.

Some will be available through the trade though. (details to follow)

If you still seek a copy, do let me know, as we will get more printed.

Regards
SS3
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Got a copy and am half way throught it already , great read . Very special to me as I have had the honour and pleasure to meet some of the people featured in the book .
Am must for anybody interested in the Waffen SS who fought on the Eastern Front .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
SS3

Post by SS3 »

Re-print ordered today and expect late next week.

If you are not on the waiting list already, and would like a copy, please PM me.

Thanks
SS3
SS3

Post by SS3 »

Books in stock now - PM to reserve your copy, shipping has begun on those already ordered.

Regards
SS3

Return to “Books, films & other media”