Moderator: pzrwest

will44b

? how to make new medals look aged

Post by will44b »

does anyone know a trick to age new medals to look old
Salacious Crumb

Re: ? how to make new medals look aged

Post by Salacious Crumb »

vinagre or sulpfer from eggs or something with acid in like lemons, oranges, cola...

you can hang them offcourse in a ceptic tank, also alot of sulpher and acid fumes in that...

or trow them in the garden for a few months
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
KapitanPrien

Post by KapitanPrien »

What I do is use flat black enamel paint and paint on them and then wipe the paint down to how ever 'old' you want them to look.

I've also done this with the 'piston rings' on my reefer jacket, as well as the buttons, stars and N.S. eagle.
"German submariners were first class - there has never been a better submarine force than the German." - General Douglas MacArthur
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Leave them in a damp or steamy environment like the kitchen or bathroom, that will age them. Alternatively, leave them in a garage or shed during wet or cold weather.

However, take it from me, wearing them at events in all weathers will age them naturally, anyway.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I would go with what the above guy just said...

After all wearing them makes them look worn! A little logic 8)
That dosent mean down to the Local on a Saturday night .. :lol: :lol:

My Uniform is aged through wear..
Witch makes it look allot more realistic..Than paint or Chemicals...

But again its your own choice! :wink:
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Why would you want to age repro medals? If for reenacting purposes they should look new anyway. They would have been bright and new looking in WW2, a soldat would naturally kept them very clean or he would be on a charge unless you want to pass repros off as originals of course....
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

barnaclebill wrote:Why would you want to age repro medals? If for reenacting purposes they should look new anyway. They would have been bright and new looking in WW2, a soldat would naturally kept them very clean or he would be on a charge unless you want to pass repros off as originals of course....

Ermmm Good point never thought of that one...

But the a matter of fact a Repro is ALWAYS a Repro..

They are getting good but with the Communication mediums nowadays like Wehrmact Awards you will never pass a repro as an Original...

Regards

Jonny
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Jonny wrote:
barnaclebill wrote:Why would you want to age repro medals? If for reenacting purposes they should look new anyway. They would have been bright and new looking in WW2, a soldat would naturally kept them very clean or he would be on a charge unless you want to pass repros off as originals of course....
They are getting good but with the Communication mediums nowadays like Wehrmact Awards you will never pass a repro as an Original...
You will to the stupid, eager and naïve. I get your point though, if you do your homework you can hopefully avoid being stung.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.

Return to “Medals and Awards”