Quick KC question

Moderator: pzrwest

Ropes

Quick KC question

Post by Ropes »

Looking to put a Tunic together Based on a particular person for Display Purposes. What was used to tie the Knights cross at the back of the neck? A quick google search shows either a thinner KC ribbon or just black ties.

Hoffman Grink

Re: Quick KC question

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Black ribbon was popular (I had a RK for a while and that's what I did)
Elastic like a modern Bow tie was also used (hook and eye fastening)
The one you show was the posh version.
Many RKT had an EKII modified for wear in the field as a RK was far too valuable to be lost in battle so beware of battlefield pics.

IF you are doing a dress uniform, do it right and get some RK ribbon - BEWARE - it is different from EK ribbon - and have it made up to fit properly - use a cheap bow tie and salvage the elastic and tensioners from that to add to your ribbon. Also watch out for the ribbon creasing up and being a little wrinkled bit of something in the neck........ Use a backing such as card or buckram to keep it broad and smooth in the neck of the collar.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Cheers paul. Im doing a field uniform so will now be going with black ribbon. Will be using a field alterd iron cross too serve as my KC. Apart from twisting the loop at the top is there anything else that was alterd?
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Hi
Below is a link to a nice Junkers RK with a period altered ribbon currently for sale on the ruptured duck website. The owner has used thick elastic but also a sliding buckle such as found on braces - worked for him!

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages ... /m003a.htm

The 'field-awarded' RK-alikes were used until the award of the actual item, and then sometimes to prevent loss - replacements/copies for lost or damaged RKs were banned as early as 22 Oct 1941, so the one you got was all you were going to get!

In terms of further alterations, the EK2 was just put on its ribbon and tied anyway possible under the collar around the neck, but the EK1 was also used as an RK replacment too on rare occasions - pinned through the knot of the necktie.

Dont forget that if you're doing a waffen ss image, RK holders automatically qualified for the Death's Head ring too.

Hope that adds something
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

The person the tunic doing it on was awarded the KC in 1945. He stated he actually recived a modified iron cross and Never actually got his KC. Its a heer impression so no ring is needed. Ill prob just go with a Iron cross with a twisted top loop and probably keep the same ribbon as I Cant see why they would of had to improvise with an Iron cross but managed to get a KC ribbon. Will use some black ribbon as a tie I think. Whats the score with sewing it in place? The chap in the link below seems to have done this.

http://www.warcolorphotos.com/113-ritterkreuz
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Nice pic!
Very unusual way of keeping the medal in place in that pic - it does appear to be stitched directly to the tunic. Clearly he wasnt worried about taking it off and would have wanted the real one for parade wear.

As a medal collector i can only suggest just go for it with the sewing. Field improvised were exactly that - you made as good a job as you could with what you had to hand. Most that i have seen do follow the general pattern of folding the ends into a triangle/point aroung the extra cord/elastic and sew the whole lot up tight. Have a look at www.oakleafmilitaria.com, they have several RKs - nearly all sold but you can still access the pics. Most have jerry-rigged securers so take your pic but they again are nearly all pointed sew-overs. Just keep security and comfort in mind as they were the two features of 'home made' ribbons.

Return to “Medals and Awards”