Ribbon bar question?

Moderator: pzrwest

sapper44

Ribbon bar question?

Post by sapper44 »

Guys;
I have been at this for just over 21yrs, and have noticed many levels of bling come and go on uniforms at events. For example when I got started allot of guys ran around looking like they were wearing everything they could find, now it is just the opposite for the most part many guys just a few things. My questions is what number of ribbons on a ribbon bar is to many? I have one ribbon bar that I wear sometimes that has the EK2, Russian Front, War Merit with swords and a Romanian Crusade Against Communism, is this to much?
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
Brigardefuhrer

Re: Ribbon bar question?

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I do not think its too much,most in WWII could have recieved three,if you were older and did service in WWI (officers and older nco's)you could have more.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
sapper44

Post by sapper44 »

My impression is pre-war volunteer, 60th IR, 16th Inf. Div, they were in the Balkan's, southern Russia, and later as the 116th in Normandy. I am now 37yrs old with bad knees, and hip from my real life military service. Jump School, AIT, to much abuse to a young body that got old, etc. So I was thinking of a static division impression, as I have a bit of a limp and I'm not as skinny as I used to be. This is a photo from my last outing. It was a late war public battle USA - USSR link up type thing. I am in the Italian camo pants and M44 tunic. Didn't shave for a couple of days and was really expecting a cold weather event, but it went up into the Mid 80's and I don't have a pair of HBT pants yet.
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

This post brings-up a good question.

What was the order of precedence, from left to right as viewed by an observer, for various awards?

For example, an IC 2nd Class, a War Merit Cross 2nd Class, an Ostmedaile, and a Long Service ribbon.

I haven't found an Order of Precedence for the Wehrmacht similar to what the U.S. Army has. Any suggestions?
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Hi
In the scenario you just quoted you've got it just right. Ek first, the KVK, then ostmedal then long service.
If you wanted a shorter bar, then you could wear the Russian campaign medal as a ribbon only from the tunic button hole and knock it off the bar.
Check out wehrmacht awards website for lots of medal bar info.
If you are looking for a company to make you one, I'd personally recommend quarterdeck militaria in Australia. They take a while to arrive and aren't cheap but they're very good.
Hope that helps.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

I can recommend ebay seller "gerst"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GERMAN-WWII- ... 43a99312c6

Good quality, prompt postage etc
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

Thanks for the great responses!
Objr. Ernst Stosser