Infantry Assault Badge

Moderator: pzrwest

Casbah Rock

Infantry Assault Badge

Post by Casbah Rock »

I will be putting the Infantry Assault Badge on my tunic - I understand it was fastened on the left upper pocket of the tunic- What is the the best way of securing this and should you try to push the pin through the tunic or not ? Any ideas and pics greatly appreciated :)
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Sturmgeist

Re: Infantry Assault Badge

Post by Sturmgeist »

You would use medal loops. I've heard they're pretty easy to make, but you have to make them right. Look at Sturm tunics, that have one already installed in the middle of the left breastpocket. If you can't make them right Cyrus Lee from Soldat FHQ can. I beleive On-the-March does too!
Brendan
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

There has been alot of discussion about badge loops. I have talked with a few german vets and was told they(these vets) only used badge loops on walking out dress tunics. On their field tunics they just poked the pin through the material. They said when they were awarded their badges the awarding officer just poked the pin through the pocket material and walked to the next man. They said they were never given any advance warning of the awards so no loops were put on the pocket. They also said to prevent loss of their badges they would also sew the badge to the pocket in a couple places. They also said how long do think a bage would remain on the pocket just held by the loops? Not long! very easy to snag the badge on something and pull it off. So for my field tunic I just poke it through the material, on my dress or walking out tunic I use the badge loops
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Thanks for that - I will go for the poke and stitch method I think :)

(Sounds rather naughty :wink: )
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Sturmgeist

Post by Sturmgeist »

pzrwest wrote:There has been alot of discussion about badge loops. I have talked with a few german vets and was told they(these vets) only used badge loops on walking out dress tunics. On their field tunics they just poked the pin through the material. They said when they were awarded their badges the awarding officer just poked the pin through the pocket material and walked to the next man. They said they were never given any advance warning of the awards so no loops were put on the pocket. They also said to prevent loss of their badges they would also sew the badge to the pocket in a couple places. They also said how long do think a bage would remain on the pocket just held by the loops? Not long! very easy to snag the badge on something and pull it off. So for my field tunic I just poke it through the material, on my dress or walking out tunic I use the badge loops
Thanks for the info! I just had a thought...

How would an officer attach a full EKII to a newly awarded soldier quickly?
Brendan
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

I am sorry but i believe this to be bullshit, and I am calling shenanigans. Harold, Go have a look see on the WH awards forum and look a combat used tunic. I am personally not a collector, but the original tunics that have any sort of trace of an award all have medal loops. When you were Issued Your award it was poked through the buttonhole of the breast pocket. this i have seen pics of, remember this is the Reich's property. Medals poked through the Fabric create unnecessary wear and tear, especially in the field, thread loops you can always cut off.

Marc
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

marc,

fix bayonets anyone ? as harold has said, he has spoken to veterans and they have said that it was just poked through the tunic, and for dress it was done through loops. Thats good enough for me, yeah some might make loops and some poked it through, but i believe that the majority was just poked through, due to combat conditions that loops wont last long and when are you going to find time to make god damn loops for your tunic when you have artillery hitting down on you. and i think the remark 'this is the reichs property' is abit bull shit really. Unnecessary wear ? christ your in the bloody field and you think your going to worry about 2 little holes in your breast pocket when your trying to find a pair of boots to wear because yours is nackerd ??

are you a tamiya kit reenacter ?

Tom
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

Sturmgeist wrote:
pzrwest wrote:Thanks for the info! I just had a thought...

How would an officer attach a full EKII to a newly awarded soldier quickly?
The EK2 ribbon was very long and as it was only worn on the day of issue it was just wrapped through the button hole.

As for all the uses of the phrase "bullshit" in this thread, blimey you colonial types get hot under the collar lining quickly.... Chaps "calm" :roll:
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Jugendkrieger

Post by Jugendkrieger »

Sorry I used the bullshit phrase too quickly, and believe me I was not hot under the collar, But there is a lot of Cyber reenacting by people who say what they want with out any real knowledge ,(not aimed at you harold) and it really screws up newbs, because for some reason they feel like any info on the forums is good info, and the circle keeps repeating itself over and over, anyone can say they are anyone on the net.

Hans, What is a "tamyia reenactor" if that means that i don't go to events, nor read actual(read:not online) literature, or get first hand veteran accounts you are dead wrong. i take pride in taking my impression as close to authentic as humanly possible, and Living ww2 at events. so don't look at original em combat worn tunics with loops. I am telling you have a look see. tunics that have any trace of awards applied have loops. The proper way to do it is to make the loops, stick the pin in the loops, and sew your badge down so it is not as easily snagged on all kinds of stuff. and that comes from experience, I have found my my infantry assault badge on the ground or hanging off of a hole in my pocket, many times from doing it improperly. I'm sorry if I have a rather prickly attitude but I simply cannot change it. I enjoy these forums for what they are. you really have to take what cyber-reenactors say with a grain of salt because who knows if they have actually done the research they have said.

Marc
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

What I'm thinking of right now is how many tunics left the factory with these loops later on in the war?
What about the awards that were awarded in battle, so the recipient could wear them at a parade? (wound badges etc?)
Surely the logical outcome would be if you got an award that there wasn't loops for, you would stitch them yourself?
(I'm just thinking about where the repro tunics have only got provisions for 1 medal in the centre of the breast pocket.)
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

at the end of the day, people recieve different infomation. A veteran said this, and another veteran can say the total opposite. Its all down to your resources. harold's resources say other things, and marc, your resources say other wise. You see all these so called 'comabt tunics' that people say are totally original and have never been touched, you dont know this, for all you know that these loops could of been put on after the war so not to damage the tunic.

The period i go for is between the years of 1943 and 1945. My resources say that bagde loops were not a common thing as it added to production time and eventually came unnecessary. The M43 uniform were the budget uniform of germany, badge loops would of been one of the items they would of cut back on, on that uniform!

Tom
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Plus, it is only a few bits of loose stitching after all :roll: ,
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Right thanks for the info guys ;) Still waiting for some close up pics tho !
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

No need for any pics bud, just pretend you're stitching a button on, but without the button :wink:

IT'S EASY!
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Okay - So does it just go in the middle of the left hand breast pocket or to the left or right side :) ?
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue

Return to “Medals and Awards”