General Assault Badge or Infantry Assault Badge?

Moderator: pzrwest

Gren-Schell

General Assault Badge or Infantry Assault Badge?

Post by Gren-Schell »

Can someone help me clear this up? During a night of debauchery at the Military Odyssey last weekend, I got into an argument with my Kameraden over what medal/badge he should or should not be wearing on his tunic.

As part of the Groups criteria, after a certain number of battles, one is entitled to wear the “Das Infantrie-Sturmabzeichen” in bronze for being a Panzer-grenadier. Sometimes this was also issued in silver, depending on availability at the time.
He wears a General Assault Badge because at one time he was in the Pioneer Detachment, which would appear to be correct?
If you are in a support Zug (i.e. mortars), what badge would you wear?
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
Gliderinf

Re: General Assault Badge or Infantry Assault Badge?

Post by Gliderinf »

Shouldnt make any differance - as its not a differant branch -
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Gliderinf wrote:Shouldnt make any differance - as its not a differant branch -
So if you are a Panzer-grenadier on mortars, its the bronze Infantry Assault Badge then? :?
martin12ss

Post by martin12ss »

However if he was a pioneer and wearing a different waffenfarbe he would have the general assault badge.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

The General Assault Badge intended tobe awarded to those who were not infantry per seand did not qualify for the Infantry Assault Badge .Ie Pioneers,Anti-tank Artillery and Medical personnel serving in combat conditions
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

:wink: That's cleared up then.. I'll tell him to get rid of the General Assault Badge!!!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings lads :D , just thought id pipe up!. The Infantry Assault badge in silver was awarded to Gebirgs and Rifle/Infantry Regts, the Infantry Assault in bronze was for Panzer Gren Regts, however when some Panzer and Infantry Regts were changed to Panzer Grenadier Regts (Im talking about SS Regts here) the recipients continued to wear their original awards, this is where it gets complicated. There was also the Panzer Assault badge in bronze which is supposed to have been issued to Pz Gren Regts as well. It is intresting to note that the General Assault badge was also issued in bronze as well but unfortunately not a lot is written about this badge (i have an original ), my guess was this badge was awarded to SP crews or Anti tank, the version in silver was awarded to Units supporting Infantry but not officially classed as Infantry (see i told you it got complicated), basically Recon, Radio and other Infantry Support Units. There is a good book on the subject by the author Angolia who was also a collector, good hunting, regards Peiper :wink:
Last edited by Peiper on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Peiper wrote:Greetings lads :D , just thought id pipe up!. The Infantry Assault badge in silver was awarded to Gebirgs and Rifle/Infantry Regts, the Infantry Assault in bronze was for Panzer Gren Regts, however when some Panzer and Infantry Regts were changed to Panzer Grenadier Regts (Im talking about SS Regts here) the recipients continued to wear their original awards, this is where it gets complicated. There was also the Panzer Assault badge in bronze which is supposed to have been issued to Pz Gren Regts as well. It is intresting to note that the General Assault badge was also issued in bronze as well but unfortunately not a lot is written about this badge (i have an original ), my guess was this badge was awarded to SP crews or Anti tank, the version in silver was awarded to Units supporting Infantry but not officially classed as Infantry (see i told you it got complicated), basically Recon, Radio and other Infantry Support Units. There isa good book on the subject by the author Angolia who was also a collector, regards
Peiper
You have put it in a nut shell i have the Angolia book your correct
Peiper
Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Well what can I say guys.... the Forum works. Thanks to you all 8)
Liebstandarte

Post by Liebstandarte »

Hmm... this has puzzled me too. What about SS-FG troops ? what would they wear ?
ImageImageImage

Am Arsch der Welt
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings lads :D , hi "Liebstandarte" if you are a collector or even just into reenacting it really is worth getting a few good reference books, a good one i can recommend is "COMBAT MEDALS OF THE THIRD REICH" by Christopher Ailsby. It is a very good book and has the complete list of combat badges worn by Army, Navy and Airforce, (Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS, Kreigsmarine and Luftwaffe) including descriptions, battle criteria (how they were won) and where they were made etc. As for your question, the Waffen SS wore the same combat badges and decorations as the Wehrmacht (with one or two exceptions) and the FJ (Falschirmjager) were issued their own badges such as LW-ground combat badges and clasps. The LW (Luftwaffe) also had their own Tank Battle badge awarded to troops belonging to the "Herman-Goring" Tank Regiment. Anyway good hunting, regards Peiper :wink:
Liebstandarte

Post by Liebstandarte »

Greetings Peiper. Methinks you may have mis-read my post - It`s SS Feldgendarme - not FJ :D
MFG !
ImageImageImage

Am Arsch der Welt
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings gents :D , my appologies Leibstandarte :roll: , SS-Feldgendarmrie were awarded similar combat badges to Waffen-SS/Wehrmacht units. The photographs ive seen show personel wearing the silver General Assault badge, according to criteria of German Combat Badges this is correct as the SS-Feldgendarmrie were not classed as Infantry but as Infantry support Units. There were SS Field Police Units based on the occupied Greek islands during the war as well as seeing service in the Balkans and Warsaw and these Units did see some combat in late 43 early 44 onwards, i have also seen the Anti-Partisan Badge being worn by these Units as well. The same criteria is the same with this badge as with Waffen-SS/Wehrmacht Combat badges/Clasps, basically troops would have to serve a certain number of days to be awarded this badge, 30 days-bronze, 75 days-silver, 100 days-gold was the combat criteria for this particular badge. Hope my insight has been helpfull, good hunting, regards Peiper :wink: , ps; (it is always usefull to put abbreviations in brackets) :) :) :)
Last edited by Peiper on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Peiper,
You seem to know your stuff all right!!!! :wink:
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hi lads :D ,
Cheers Gren-Schell, German combat badges are my favourite, ive been colecting them since i
was a kid, the info is only what ive read anyway.
Ive got a few books on the subject (some out of print), so if i can help/advise i will kameraden,
it is always useful to get some ref books as it pays off in the long run.
Good hunting, regards Peiper. :D
Last edited by Peiper on Fri May 15, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Medals and Awards”