General Assault Badge or Infantry Assault Badge?

Moderator: pzrwest

Liebstandarte

Re: General Assault Badge or Infantry Assault Badge?

Post by Liebstandarte »

Danke ! Peiper - That`s claridied the matter for me :D
ImageImageImage

Am Arsch der Welt
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

If you are in a infantry unit, and you earn the infantry assault badge, then you a transferred to a pioneer unit, would you have your infantry assault badge, or would you get a general assault badge instead?
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

You would keep your Infantry assault badge,you wear what you are awarded you see panzer men wearing Inf;assault badges and SS and heer wearing naval badges for example after they have transfered from the navy.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Cheers!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:You would keep your Infantry assault badge,you wear what you are awarded you see panzer men wearing Inf;assault badges and SS and heer wearing naval badges for example after they have transfered from the navy.
Greetings gents :D
Apparantly there were a lot of Luftwaffe personel transfered over to the SS as well after
1942 under the authority of Gen-Hausser, this explains some of the pics that are about of
SS-personel wearing Lufty badges.

Regards Peiper.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Peiper wrote:
Brigardefuhrer wrote:You would keep your Infantry assault badge,you wear what you are awarded you see panzer men wearing Inf;assault badges and SS and heer wearing naval badges for example after they have transfered from the navy.
Greetings gents :D
Apparantly there were a lot of Luftwaffe personel transfered over to the SS as well after
1942 under the authority of Gen-Hausser, this explains some of the pics that are about of
SS-personel wearing Lufty badges.

Regards Peiper.
1942 ? Mr peiper what referance did you use ? as I dont find any large scale movement on KM or Luftwaffe troops during this time scale ? it is more 1944 to 1945
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Franz repper wrote: 1942 ? Mr peiper what referance did you use ? as I dont find any large scale movement on KM or Luftwaffe troops during this time scale ? it is more 1944 to 1945
Hi Franz :D
I will have to dig out the ref book as i was going from memory, but as far as i can remember
the SS had a new batch of personel fom the Luftwaffe in late 42 early 43 to replace losses
killed in Russia.
Regards Peiper.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I know this is rather an old post, but to simplify matters when I was with my former group I 'served' in various different sections with them.

I wore bronze infantry assault badge when I was in the PZgrenadiers, silver infantry assault badge when in the infantry section and the general assault badge when I was with the pionier (black waffenfarbe) section. When I finally transferred to the Aufklarungs section I wore the PZ assault badge in bronze along with the golden-yellow waffenfarbe.

Really, I suppose the member concerned could just buy an infantry assault badge in order to conform with what he's now doing, but that's just my two pfennig's worth!
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Nice photo, Franz.

I'm aware of some former paras and ground force personnel who served in Northern Ireland that wore the fallschirmjager and anti-partisan abzeichen, respectively, with their re-enactment group, but this practice was discontinued by the group's hierarchy.

*I've noticed something in the photos, why are W-SS soldaten wearing Heer helmets?
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Another interesting thing of note,

When I had the privilege of crewing Mike Gibbs Jagdpanther at Detling a few years ago I had to research the subject in order to wear the correct uniform and insignia.

This came into two possible categories:-

Jagdpanther, Hetzer and Jagdtiger crews were classed as Panzerjager (Tank hunters.) They wore grey PZ wrap uniforms with pink waffenfarbe and qualified for the silver panzerabzeichen.

However, crews of self-propelled guns, such as Marders or the open topped Puma with 75mm PAK gun, for instance, also wore grey PZ wrap uniforms. They wore red waffenfarbe and the general assault badge, because they were classed as artillery and not PZ personnel.

I just thought I'd share that with you :wink:

Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Schäfer wrote:
However, crews of self-propelled guns, such as Marders or the open topped Puma with 75mm PAK gun, for instance, also wore grey PZ wrap uniforms. They wore red waffenfarbe and the general assault badge, because they were classed as artillery and not PZ personnel.

I just thought I'd share that with you :wink:
Good point Schafer :wink:
This was because as you know these men were SP crews and classed the same as Artillerymen,
even though they drove around in a tank, the fact that it was open-topped (un armoured) placed
them in this catagory, so as such would wear (unless re-assigned from another branch/service)
the General assault badge in silver/bronze and also in my opinion the Artillery badge as they met
the rigid criteria.

As for your question on WH helmets on the pic above, my guess is either they still wore there LW
helmets on transfer to another branch or are part of the SS Feldpolizei/Feldgendarmerie, i would
imagine the LW helmet insignia would probably be painted out later :?:

Pipes :)
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Thanks for the info, Peips.

It was quite interesting carrying out that research as I acquired some new knowledge along the way, as well.

The helmets had Heer eagles on them but I accept your point, as you say they probably painted them over and applied the SS decals later.

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

The gents in the photo are from LAH no reason is given for the use of the Heer helmet
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Thanks Franz :)

Return to “Medals and Awards”