Shoes and other stuff for ladies

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

Peter Bauer

Shoes and other stuff for ladies

Post by Peter Bauer »

Hey

My lady is quite interested in doing Helferin things with us guys in our meetings, so we ordered her a uniform with skirt and all sorts of other little details.

It seems that quite a few of the ladies used trousers instead of skirt (and would be better during winter especially) so I was wondering if they used some special trousers or just regular issued trousers (m43?). Shoes are a big trouble for us, there seems to be very few proper shoes available here in Finland and all of them are ment for summer... we'd need something for winter use too. We ordered some shoes that were somewhat period correct, but I would love to know more about the shoes the ladies used.

So if anyone has any photos, ideas or suggestions....!
Peter Bauer

Re: Shoes and other stuff for ladies

Post by Peter Bauer »

Wrong forum! There was women re-enactment there, which I seem to have missed!

Could the moderators move this there?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Moro Good sir look here for the web site www.f-r-a-u.co.uk and here for the Forum http://frau.forumieren.com/index.htm
ImageImageImageImageImage
FRAU

Post by FRAU »

As I note you're in Finland things are different for a start you have way more snow and cold weather than we do (we just do variations of wet). Trousers worn by women were in duties involving the colder climates and duties where a skirt would be impractical such as flakhelferin, that doesn't mean just because there was a lot of snow the trousers came out, sadly that wasn't the case. I have pictures of women in trousers but they're isolated to those in leisure time enjoying the piste rather than in duties unless they're doing flak duties in the Kreigsmarinehelferinnen or Luftwaffe Flakhelferinnen. I also have far more pictures of women in thick snow with skirts and woolie stockings on than trousers and know from other collectors and pictures online that others have found this to be the case.

It depends what role she is doing, but anything adminstrational would require a skirt to be worn, most helferin weren't even issued trousers so if she's going to wear them I'd look into what would be a suitable role for her to use them for.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Thanks for the info!

At the moment she's going to use pair of boots from her grandmother (1930's) and nice, thick gray wool stockings when going outside the house. But based on what you said above, I don't think she'd get to use trousers. She'd rather play the part of signalhelferin or DRK-helferin rather than anti-air, so I gues she'll stick with the skirt :)

But then again, weather like -20 and thigh deep snow are somewhat of a trouble. Luckily she's not really going to jump around the woods with us.

Do you have any photos of the trousers, just because I'm curious.

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”