Sd.Kfz.302

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

West-Front

Sd.Kfz.302

Post by West-Front »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLLQYz-leUE

Garage Built Replica of the famous Sd.Kfz.302 Demolitions Carrier, check our website out for more details. 21stpanzer.co.uk
HGKanonier

Re: Sd.Kfz.302

Post by HGKanonier »

Looks good. Bet the individual track shoes can be made on a mandrel using a 20ton shop press. I kicked this around before but couldn't figure out a wireless command system for braking each drive sprocket to steer the vehicle.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

This was originally built by Dave M and Allan S when in the 116 Windhund (AFRA) around 2004-5 - The motors are two wheelchair motors and the batteries are heavy duty lorry batteries. The tracks were individually made from sheet steel. It was exhibited at GCR and Whittington Barracks as well as appearing briefly in D-Day the Final Conflict trundling up a beach..... IT always suffered from track throwing when attempting to turn. An authentic "bikewheel" trailer was built for it too - The type that you hook under it and swing on to hang it..... Visits were arranged to the Wheartcroft Collection (he has at least three!) and Duxford (another oenof Kevin's) to take measurements. It was shown to Kevin also and he was most impressed - The control system was simply a RC set up. IT was built with a pyrotechnic compartment in it that unfortunately was never used but would have been spectacular if ooperated.

It languished in DAve's garage for a number of years until being taken to the hinterlands near Hull to be ressurected.

A unique replica and oneof the first running replicas in the UK I believe.

The plans for it still exist but attempts to get the owner to share them have so far failed.
HGKanonier

Post by HGKanonier »

I had a hundred photos of the Aberdeen Goliath, but lost them when my harddrive broke in January.

Can use the Dragon 1/6 model for reference. Go with 18 or 20 ga sheet for the side panels with the raised sections. You can make a primative stamping die using 3/4" oak, and a 20ton shop press. The rest is just angled 3mm plate.

A skilled machinist can cut the drive sprocket teeth. Heck, it would probably be easier to have them water jet cut in 3/8" plate.

Wheelchair motors, huh? Hmmmmmm..........

Return to “Vehicles”