kettenkrads

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

panzerspaher

kettenkrads

Post by panzerspaher »

i have heard that kettenkrads were produced under licence from us army 1945 to 1948.
is this true ?
Sturmschar

Re: kettenkrads

Post by Sturmschar »

To the best of my knowledge the only Kettenkrads produced after the war were only those capable of being built from parts already existing in the factory at Neckarsulm, wether this was carried out under American licence or not is a matter of conjecture. There was no manufacture carried out post war.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
sparky

Post by sparky »

what are the vineyard kk's that i here people waffling on about all the time? Were these the ones assembled from left over parts or are they a very similar looking machine. I hear a lot about fake kk's as well :?
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Sound like the ones 'claimed' and adapted by French farmers after the war - quite a useful vehicle on small farms! More than a few abandoned in the Rückmarsch across the Seine in 1944 I would imagine...

Others have turned up being used by the Norwegian Postal Service, again useful for mail deliveries in snow!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Lochner

Post by Lochner »

Kettenkrads (had an Opel engine) and at least 531 were produced after the war, from '46 on and partially modified, also in France. Used in agriculture, forestry and rebuilding (useful machine - they could pull half ton). A planned large scale continuation of production at NSU, however, did not take place.

Ref: Opel Military Vehicles 1906-1956, Rckhart Bartels, 1997.

Would agree with Sturmschar likely built from wartime production excess as per Merc, Opel trucks

Lochner
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

"Vinyard vehicles" included such exotica as SdKfz250 too - I know a man who recovered a Neue from a Pear Orchard in Normandie and it had the rear armour removed and a wooden "truck back" added - they used to drive it round the orchard stood inside picking pears directly into the back of the halbkette. Fell into disrepair after some local kids lit a fire inside it.......

As Dave said, Ketten were used by the Norgie Posties for a long while...... some Ketten around today are either wholly or part Norge rescues....... but I always thought they had NSU engines...... I will stand correction but I thought NSU and Stoewer were the only manufacturers.........? Anyone?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Having just Googled Dave is indeed correct - They used the same inline 4 cylinder engine as the Opel Olympia "Noddy Car" :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry John, it had to be done!)
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

avatar_17434.gif (57.53 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
I despair :lol:
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Amazingly that looks just like me out clubbing........

Return to “Vehicles”