are turret rings possible to get ?
would there be various sizes.
any info would be appreciated.
Hoffman Grink

Re: turret rings

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yes
yes
and more info from you would be helpful in the first instance...... What size? (Diameter)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

PS
Don't expect a bargain either....... :shock:
nelz

Post by nelz »

depending what type and size , they can be fookin expensive !!

As the mighty Hoff has said , more info required !

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
panzerspaher

Post by panzerspaher »

hi hoffman ,
sorry i didnt get back to your replies earlier but we attended duncannon military show.(great weekend)
basically after i saw the panzer 3 based on the 432, i have been dreaming ever since .i think it belongs to stahlkrieger (correct me if im wrong) wasnt it built by john phillips ?.now that i am in a position to try one myself i would welcome suggestions on what i would need.i remember the build pictures on the forum but cant find them.so what turret size do you think i would need ?.
would a bmp ot-90 be a better choice than the 432.i know these are alot more expensive but have 6 road wheels which were the most common.
so what should i use if im building a repo panzer 3?
i was also thinking about putting one into a 222 etc.but would it be worth it
i know we had problems with our own new 221 trying to make it work without a ring (overcome now but a lot of trouble)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

panzerspaher wrote:hi hoffman ,
sorry i didnt get back to your replies earlier but we attended duncannon military show.(great weekend)
basically after i saw the panzer 3 based on the 432, i have been dreaming ever since .i think it belongs to stahlkrieger (correct me if im wrong) wasnt it built by john phillips ?.now that i am in a position to try one myself i would welcome suggestions on what i would need.i remember the build pictures on the forum but cant find them.so what turret size do you think i would need ?.
would a bmp ot-90 be a better choice than the 432.i know these are alot more expensive but have 6 road wheels which were the most common.
so what should i use if im building a repo panzer 3?
i was also thinking about putting one into a 222 etc.but would it be worth it
i know we had problems with our own new 221 trying to make it work without a ring (overcome now but a lot of trouble)
Easy - contact Nelz on here - His crew just built one for a group in the Channel Islands....... I would heartily recommend them - And my reasoning is -They have built one - They know how much steel, where form, what to cut, where to weld and how to ship...... Dunno what they charge but my feeling is they will save you time and money in the long run - And make a SPARKLING replica in the bargain.......
There is an old czech APC which I can't recall at present - would make a SUPERB PzIII/IV - I'll look it up.
wilhelm 222

Post by wilhelm 222 »

hi i built a 222 and instead of a turret ring i ran it on large castors surbmerged in cylinders with a central bearing (a hub of peugot 205) welded to a thick steel tube bolted to a square plate bolted to the floor ,worked ok but you have to make sure the top of the hull is fairly flat.
panzerspaher

Post by panzerspaher »

hi wilhelm,
we also have a 222 which is run pretty much the same way,this looks good as the original had an independant gun platform anyway.when we were making the 221 the turret had to run independantly.what we done was rolled two box irons and cut the top off one and on the other we slotted in bearings to the side and the bottom this allowed the box iron to roll inside the other.biggest problem was that we had to do this a couple of times as the inner circle wasnt true.its ok now but i wouldnt like to have to do it again, too much hassle .putting in bearings into a iron ring and then finding out it doesnt move because the ring is out of shape by a couple of mm's (severe headache).
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi start looking for an old crane slew ring ...it will do the job nicely ! I am an access engineer but ours run a little on the small size ...look up iron fairy or garnet ? what dia size do you need ?? :D :D
AFRA member
nelz

Post by nelz »

You can actually get the rings made , a company in Germany does them at a resonable price , certainly saves the hassle of trying to engineer something yourself.

When delivered, it fits perfectly and turns smooth. Even has adjustment for uneven deck surface.

Not cheap by any standards , but when replicating a vehicle that needs a turret ring , it should function correctly.

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121

Return to “Vehicles”