Couple of questions

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

gedj2

Couple of questions

Post by gedj2 »

Afternoon All,

a couple of questions if I may, firstly, for a DAK tunic would I need tunic hooks? And secondly, what would be the Ral number for tan paint used by the DAK?

Kind regards,

Ged
christiandbn

Re: Couple of questions

Post by christiandbn »

Hi Ged,

the hooks on the tunic are a personal preference, but they would help you if you're carrying a heavy load.

paint in north Africa varied from that supplied in 1941 (a tan gray mix) to that which was issued by late 1942 (more goldenish colour). Italian and British captured paints were often used and put in the mix, so it really depends on weather you want an early or late. I can help you out with RAL numbers for both German paints.

The period of your impression might dictate which pattern of the tropical uniform you need to go for.

My group does DAK impressions (so love those tropical uniforms) so let me know if I can be of any help :)
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
gedj2

Post by gedj2 »

Thanks for that Christian,

not sure yet whether will be an early or late impression so both ral numbers would be great if you don't mind.

All the best,

Ged
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

Hi Ged, I think RAL8000 is generally regarded as the most common "classic" DAK colour and luckily is still available...
gedj2

Post by gedj2 »

Evening Stefan,

thanks for that.

Ged
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Hi Ged,

As promised. Here are the colours for the different issue of paint in tropical regions from 1940 till 1943. This is the collection of research from various sources, but unfortunately I didn't keep note of all the material I looked into to cite the sources correctly. However, here they:

March 1941
2 parts: GelbBraun - RAL 8000
1 part: GrauGrun - RAL 7008

March 1942
2 parts: sandgelb: RAL 8020
1 part: Grau: RAL 7027

February 1943
Dunkelgelb RAL 7028

From 1943, Dunkelgelb was the standard factory paint issue on all Wehrmacht hardware, including vehicles and tanks. This was often used as a base for different splotches and camouflage patterns.

Most of these paints are available, but RAL 8020 and RAL 7027 do not. The closest one can find off the shelf nowadays are possibly RAL 1001 and RAL 1002 respectively.

Bear in mind that these paints were issued to vehicle maintenance sections, and you'd find them spray painted by units which were in close operations to these vehicles. Other units, such as FJ, used any paint they could get hold on, even captured ones. These were hand brush painted, not sprayed.

Hope this is what you want and that you find this useful.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”