ZM low boot review

Supplying high-end replicas
and originals of 20th century militaria.

Moderator: Zeugmeister

Sheikh Al Stranghi

ZM low boot review

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Exactly 6 weeks after date of order, my ZM low boots arrived. As always, a very pleasant transaction and good communication.

I was very frustrated because I couldn't find a lowboot that was both affordable and high quality, but it seems I have found just the thing I needed. When I opened the box I was immediately impressed with the thickness of the leather and overall quality of the boot. Externally, the boot looks a bit like cheaper sturm made boots, but nothing is further from the truth. I'm sure they will last ages, even with my abuse of anything you can wear or carry. One thing really surprised me, these things are pretty high which means they actually give ankle support instead of the vietnamese flip-flops sold elsewhere.

Also the hobnails look a lot stronger than the monkey-metal ones on cheaper shoes.

I am very happy with them and I would recommend them to everyone. Buy once, buy quality. Save money, be happy.

I found a single flaw though: The leather laces that come with it are very weak.

Fresh boot:

Boot with 1 layer of dubbin:

Sean

Re: ZM low boot review

Post by Sean »

Indeed they are very nice boots, thinking about getting a new pair myself but I cant see the current pair (like the above) wearing out soon!!
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Sheikh Al Stranghi

:D I am VERY hard on my gear, if this pair survives 1 year of my reenactment abuse (I'll keep you updated) these boots have my personal guarantee.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Well, see you back hear on the 06 April 2010 and lets see how they are, I can pretty much bet they'll look just as good. :lol:
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Sturmgeist

Post by Sturmgeist »

How do the speed laces hold up to abuse?
Brendan
Sheikh Al Stranghi

What do you mean? Strength of the metal hooks?
Sturmgeist

Post by Sturmgeist »

Yep. Do they bend at all if you put any pressure on them? I've just had some past experience with poorly made speed laces on boots (not involving reenacting).
Brendan
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

How much were they ?
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Sheikh Al Stranghi

They are 169 euro.

Yes, the hooks bend a little if I put a lot of pressure on.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

These boots if you look after them will last you a life time ! of reenacting , They will need lots of Lederfett or dubbing to start with but once that is done you will find that they are ok !
To dry these boots Dont Put them on a radiator or they will dry out fast also the studs will fall out ! Pack them with news paper and place them in the warmth of your house . Keep the sole of your boots greased with Lederfett or Dubbing as this will also stop the studs and wooden pegs from comming out !
ImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

I am no expert, but my shoe repairer (who re-soled my low boots) told me not to put dubbin on the soles - he reckoned it softened the leather too much. I now use Carr's leather oil on the soles and dubbin on the top.

Those ZM boots do look very nice, I must say. I shall certainly consider them when my current ones fall to bits. :)
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Steiner wrote:I am no expert, but my shoe repairer (who re-soled my low boots) told me not to put dubbin on the soles - he reckoned it softened the leather too much. I now use Carr's leather oil on the soles and dubbin on the top.
Did not know that one sir It was my old Drill sgt who said leaderfett for the bottom of our drill boots ( The Guards still were issued ammo boots at that time 1989 to 1998 )
ImageImageImageImageImage
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Franz repper wrote:
Steiner wrote:I am no expert, but my shoe repairer (who re-soled my low boots) told me not to put dubbin on the soles - he reckoned it softened the leather too much. I now use Carr's leather oil on the soles and dubbin on the top.
Did not know that one sir It was my old Drill sgt who said leaderfett for the bottom of our drill boots ( The Guards still were issued ammo boots at that time 1989 to 1998 )
You mean you didn't have to bull the soles? Back in my day......etc.
dagda

Post by dagda »

I was told by a very good cobbler to put dubbin on the soles as it keeps the hobs in!! This guy is real oldschool!!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Steiner

Post by Steiner »

dagda wrote:I was told by a very good cobbler to put dubbin on the soles as it keeps the hobs in!! This guy is real oldschool!!
Aye, so was mine. :roll: :lol:
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"

Return to “Zeugmeisterei”