Luftwafe backpacks?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

brayney

Luftwafe backpacks?

Post by brayney »

Hi all, I was wondering what sort of rucksack the Luftwaffe field division/flak would of worn? Around 193-44 Any pictures and answers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan Brayne.
mauser98

Re: Luftwafe backpacks?

Post by mauser98 »

Rucksacks worn by the Luftwaffe were pretty much identical to the Heer version. However, they were constructed from Blue-Grey cloth instead of Olive. Earlier versions had shoulder straps and were brown. In 1941-2 they made ones with blue-grey webbing straps (possibly for Afrika?). Most after that had black leather straps and finally (like the Heer version) removed the shoulder straps and added "A" frame hooks to attach to the "D" rings on Y-straps.
As far as Field Divisions are concerned, by November 1943 the Heer was in command of all Luftwaffe Field Divisions and that included all logistical supplies (uniforms & equipment). It became very common to see FD troops in a mix of Luftwaffe and Army clothing and kit.
My FD unit does it that way. Some all Luftwaffe kit, some with a mix of both. So, actually a Heer rucksack would also be correct. Do a Google Images search for Luftwaffe Rucksack and they have plenty of photos to show you good examples of them.

Hope this helps,
Jim
mauser98
brayney

Re: Luftwafe backpacks?

Post by brayney »

Thanks Jim, That helps a lot so i can just wear a regular army backpack!

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”