A man who deserves supprt and consideration.

Moderator: Pirkka

Tychsen

A man who deserves supprt and consideration.

Post by Tychsen »

Mark Yerger has recently published Volume 4 in his series of books which covers holders of the German Cross in Gold who held rank in the SS and Police.
Whilst this is not intended as a book review anyone who has read Mark's work will be aware of the standards to which he works and that this is reflected in the research based quality of what Rodger Bender has published over the past 6 years.

The following link takes you to a thread on his most recent volume on Wehrmacht Awards.
(See post 23).

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ost3201145

This is a man who has invested his time in bringing an unwritten history to a bookshelf near you , to your own if you want put a few pounds / Euros on the table - a small outlay considering what the author and publisher have taken on.

Presently he is well into Volume 5 and has prepared parts of what will form , 6 , 7 and 8.

If anyone feels they may be able to lend a hand with research material , or photos please do so - this is to be honest an unashamed plug on behalf of a man who has enriched us all by what he has produced over the years and it didn't just happen - it took time and effort to put lines on pages.

This is a man who deserves support , if you can - give it and give it willingly.
Thank you.
West-Front

Re: A man who deserves supprt and consideration.

Post by West-Front »

Excellent book JS, looks like one to include in my library. Do you have the contact details of a distributor for it ?
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Cam. , Rodger Bender is the publisher - most good internet outlets will have this.
http://www.bender-publishing.com/New.html

I do feel very strongly that authors like Mark Yerger deserve our support , history is not owned by anyone and "for my eyes only" has never worked for me nor do I believe it serves any purpose , not least that of the historical record.

If anyone can help Mark in developing this series and who might be able to make a valid contribution may I speak bluntly - "Don't just stand there hands in pocket , a ball in each hand" - help the man create something worthwhile , in the long run you will feel better about it.
Last edited by Tychsen on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Thanks JS, appreciate the link. I for one will try and source a copy, the quality of the photos look superb
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Mark is A nice guy and a hard worker ,I do enjoy his work .

I will move this to books
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ost3206795[/
"My deepest thanks to all for their kind comments and support.

The general scope of the series is obviously the German Cross holders of the SS and Police. Past books on KC holders or other biographical topic books always frustrated me with a lack of explanation. They give information without explaining the where, what, or who relative to fully understand the plain career facts listed.

So one goal in the series for me was to explain all the relevant data, actually what a school or unit was that an individual attended or was posted to it, who the man was that commanded him or recommended him for the award. Who preceded or succeeded him, both confirming the post as well as details of those individuals. And within the unit topic of a given volume, a full understanding of the element he was with, it’s development, titles, composition, etc. Within the limits of my ability I’ve done that with each volume in as much depth as possible while keeping the general focus on the primary topic.

Being a combat award, the obvious emphasis in the relevant data as far as each volume is the combat elements, even though some support unit data is also in appendix information. However, even for combat element commanders not every one is possible to include within the primary scope and direct tangent data parameters. Some commanders are not connected to the primary biographies to allow an expanded footnote biography or a photo is unavailable for a similar caption. Finding reason and a place to include some individuals is not always possible. In many divisions there were literally dozens of commanders at battalion or detachment level, those men exceeding the number exceeds the number of German Cross holders of the division being examined. To include them all would be more in line with a divisional history addendum instead of a study of specific award winners. In this series it would be impossible and to far off topic in many cases.

Despite these obvious limitations, there are a huge number of various level commanders, other personalities, and non-biographical significant data (units, schools, etc) covered in detail within each volume of the series with many personalities being illustrated. The vast majority of that information has not been detailed in any other texts on any SS topic. This aside from complete and corrected information for the divisional commanders and Ia for each unit covered, details on the latter being noticeably absent or complete previously. No single book on any unit can examine every commander at every level in detail. But hopefully this series starts the process in as much detail as possible within the scope I originally decided upon.

When am image of someone detailed or not shown previously becomes available, I’ve included them in the addendum of the following volumes, as well as updating any unit or biographical information that can be documented.

So the search for information for any unit already covered continues and the help of readers to add to that information.

I want to extend my thanks and appreciation to all who have helped thus far and I’m humbled by the enthusiasm many readers of the series have expressed. It makes an often frustrating project of this obvious size and scope worthwhile."
86 people look , 2 post a reply , that is what I call major interest.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ost3244159

If anyone has the info , please help Mark out - its your chance to make a contribution to recording history , take it.
Stuart Humphrey

Post by Stuart Humphrey »

Just seen this post and happy to promote in our book review section in the new mag.

www.reenactingww2.co.uk

many thanks

Stu
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Stuart Humphrey wrote:Just seen this post and happy to promote in our book review section in the new mag.

http://www.reenactingww2.co.uk

many thanks

Stu
Stu Mark is a nice guy and works very hard on his books they are a true joy to read
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Books, films & other media”