Painted Anoraks

Moderator: les hearn

Grabenkater

Painted Anoraks

Post by Grabenkater »

I have come across several mentions of anoraks being painted white, either as a way to make them white or as a way to cover up any soiling that the white fabric may be showing.

Does anyone know if they were produced by being painted or were they painted in the field?

The reason I ask is, I have a HKK anorak that was very bright green (Irish green) when I received it shortly before his demise. I could not return it in exchange for a tan as I had ordered. I used some dark tan dye to darken the green, but in the process I lost the white side. I have been considering painting it to return it to its white state.
Franz repper

Re: Painted Anoraks

Post by Franz repper »

Good sir it was done in the field as far as I know got some photos some place of white painted anoraks . I think I posted some in the Gebirgs photos
ImageImageImageImageImage
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Bergkameraden,

I have an original Windbluse (anorak) and Windhose (wind pants) set that is olive/white(painted). These types were made from a heavier canvas duck material. The tan/white anoraks are made from a lightweight cotton/rayon material. The canvas ones are olive green in color...similar to the GJ rucksack...and the painted white side is factory applied and seems to be a type of rubberized paint. The disadvantage of the painted type is that they don't breath like the cotton/rayon material...while the painted type is more waterproof...you end up getting soaked from the persperation building up on the inside.

Here's my original set with the green side out:

Horrido!
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Maleme

Post by Maleme »

I also was sent one of the Green Version HKK Anorak's shortly before his demise instead of the Tan one that I ordered and could not exchange it back. However, I put it through four or five full 90 degree washes and it really toned the green down and without any shrinkage.
PK.-Bildberichter.: Meyer.
Oberjäger-Gebirgstruppe
Fotos für Presse und Propaganda.
Berlin SW 68
Lindenstraße 38
Telef. Sammel-Nr 17 3988-89

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”