New Gebirgsjäger Book Coming Out!!!

Moderator: les hearn

Heeresbergführer

New Gebirgsjäger Book Coming Out!!!

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Gott Bergkameraden,

Keep on the lookout next month for a new book on German Army Mountain Troops by Wade Krawczyk and Bart Jansen....looks to be a good one. Bart Jensen is one of the premiere Gebirgsjäger collectors in the world and we all know the quality of Wade's previous books.

https://secure.tesco.com/books/product. ... erch_name=

Berg Heil!
Patrick
Last edited by Heeresbergführer on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Mikkel

Re: New Gebirgsjäger Book Coming Out!!!

Post by Mikkel »

Thanks for the tip!
It have made it's way to my wishlist :)
Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heeresbergführer

Servus Jägermeister,

Good to hear. I'm still waiting for it to be released here in the USA. Can you give us a more detailed review of the book?

Berg Heil und Horrido!
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

mario33

Post by mario33 »

Well, I have this book for some time now. I have some mixed feelings though...

Firstly, its by no means an encyclopaedia af GJ equipment. Its a review of a collection. Full stop. Its by no means a complete view.

The good parts are devoted to review of feldblusen, hosen, bergmutzen, other headgear, including early Austrian items (thats a good part for me as I reenact an Austrian person). I think this part is lacking some important items, eg. snow cover for bergmutze (missing in collection huh ? ;) ).

Named groups of documents, photos and uniform pieces are the best part I think (8 individuals, including 1 of them demoted in rank).

The equipment part is dissapoiniting though, e.g. climbing equipment is summarised on 2 pages, while half of it is devoted to icepicks. Other climbing gear (ropes, hammers, hooks, crampons etc) is presented on THREE photos, no close-ups whatsoever. Skiing part is ONE page showing ONE pair of standard skis. Here in this part the attitude - show the collection not wider range - 'kills' the book really. Almost each element of equipment is presented in ONE example, with no space for variation, details. Only one large rucksack is presented, only one windbluse etc... Disappointing... They should have consulted your collection Patrick.

There was on item I found extremely interesting though - hochgebirgsjager sleeping bag. Very rare.

In the end there are some sections clearly focused on collecting - dogtags, sterbebildern, various remembrance items, a few photos. Just some ideas on GJ collecting.

To sum up, your knowledge/collection Papa is much much more than this book. When sb wants a short, one-book review, then should get this book.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

I agree with Mario on this- I waited eagerly for months for this to come out and was almost disappointed when it did. Very limited and shows basically someone's collection off, nothing more. Ah well, we shall have to wait until a good book comes out, won't we? :roll:

How about a colour book similar to the reenacting paperbacks out there depicting a pre-war Gebirgs unit actually on a mountain...now where could we get such a band of enthusiasts together to gain so many climbing and "field living" pictures???? hhmmmmmmm?
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Let's start it, Hansch! And the "Unternehmen Edelweiss 2010" can be an excelent source of good climbing and mountaneering images.
Of course, with a few of Papa Kiser equipment collection photos to ilustrate it much better!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

gebirgsjaeger100 wrote:Let's start it, Hansch! And the "Unternehmen Edelweiss 2010" can be an excelent source of good climbing and mountaneering images.
Of course, with a few of Papa Kiser equipment collection photos to ilustrate it much better!
Yes and we a SS Nord could help out with Nord Items
ImageImageImageImageImage
gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

And your winter training can also be an escelent source, Franz!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Heeresbergführer

Grüß Di' Bergkameraden,

I finally got the book in the mail. A nice reference to some of Bart's collection.

Now let me ask you, Bergkameraden, what kind of information would you like to see in a book about Gebirgsjägers.

Horrido!
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I would like to see one that deals with uniform and equpment that was used no need for Div or Reg Historys .
ImageImageImageImageImage
Maleme

Post by Maleme »

...a little chapter about the training, equipment and organisation and preferably with photographs of the Hochgebirgs-Jäger Battalions!

Paul.
PK.-Bildberichter.: Meyer.
Oberjäger-Gebirgstruppe
Fotos für Presse und Propaganda.
Berlin SW 68
Lindenstraße 38
Telef. Sammel-Nr 17 3988-89
Markl

Post by Markl »

The book looks interesting. I am new to this site and have a question for all of you who appear to have some real insights and knowledge about Gebirgsjager uniforms and equiptment. My question is about Bergmutze. I have seem some wool repro's that have vent holes in the crown of the cap. Is this accurate? Did the wool caps have vent holes or not or did this feature vary? Your insights would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your upcoming thoughts!
Markl

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”