Panzer Lehr Uniform

Moderator: Feldjager

Fritz bayerlein

Re: Panzer Lehr Uniform

Post by Fritz bayerlein »

Trouble is that data may be misleading, from a posed picture portraying the ideal panzer grenadier look, what would be nice would be to find a collection of photographes which prove one way or the other but with a strengh of 14,000 who knows what was worn.
[130] Panzer Lehr reg 902 Unit Leader
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

But logically you cannot assume it was used if you cant find evidence for it. That is just ridiculous.
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

The only way to completely resolve this is find a veteran from PL and ask him :)
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

And until then stop wearing the smocks as there is no proof of their use?
Fritz bayerlein

I prefer to keep an open mind until it is proved one way or the other. Late war you see a lot of splinter parkers in news reals.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Agreed but not smocks.
Keeping an open mind surely means you wont be swayed by fashion or dogma but keep your mind open to hard fact and reliable data not an unreliable personal opinion?
Seeing parkas on newsreels no more proves Lehr wore smocks than than seeing parkas on newsreels proves Goering wore french knickers.
andy d

Post by andy d »

Stigroadie wrote:Agreed but not smocks.
Keeping an open mind surely means you wont be swayed by fashion or dogma but keep your mind open to hard fact and reliable data not an unreliable personal opinion?
Seeing parkas on newsreels no more proves Lehr wore smocks than than seeing parkas on newsreels proves Goering wore french knickers.
did you get out of side on the wrong side of bed this morning?
Mr Grumpypants

:mrgreen:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

No, I was feeling just the same about this stupid attitude to re-enactment uniforms last week, the month before that and last year. Search my posts? I would ask if you have nothing constructive to post on the topic to keep it clear, there is enough waffle to wade through as it is.
How can you justify wearing something for which there is no evidence? Simply, you cant.
It is no better than conjecture, a fantasy. FARB.
Dont think I'm angry, seething at my computer, not at all, frustrated yes,that there seem to be some people too stupid not to be able to see the flaws in their logic, if they display any at all, or the errors in what they wear.
It's not hard to find out what WAS worn. You can without fear of contradiction pick up one of the thousands of books containing hundreds of thousands of images and equip yourself how you see in the pictures.
You can ask vets, they are not the most reliable source of info, memories fade and not every soldier was witness to every detail. They often tell you things you dont want to hear too.
Why care? Why bother what other people wear? Well, I dont especially, I'm just a little shocked people dont want to be as good as they could be.
You dont have to listen to me and my views on Lehr wearing smocks, buy your 'L' cypher boards and stug style wrap, cover it with a smock that has no real support from history. get it all correct until the final layer. Why bother at all?
Fritz bayerlein

It's unfair to say to Schottland that they must not wear smocks, surely it's up to their group what they decide to wear, if thats part of thier dress code who are we to argue. At the end of the day it's for them to decide.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

But it isnt down to them is it?
It's down to history to dictate what they should wear, that is the WHOLE point.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Whilst not entering into the Smocks/no smocks debate I will attempt to give some information on USEAGE of smocks and parkas.
Smocks were issued for specific engagements/tasks/missions and then collected back in afterwards. Padded/winter gear was issued at a set date and used throughout the cold months then also recalled and refurbed/stored until required again.

Smocks were not personal issue. For a clue - look in your Soldbuch...... All issue items are recorded in there.........
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Whilst not entering into the Smocks/no smocks debate I will attempt to give some information on USEAGE of smocks and parkas.
Smocks were issued for specific engagements/tasks/missions and then collected back in afterwards. Padded/winter gear was issued at a set date and used throughout the cold months then also recalled and refurbed/stored until required again.

Smocks were not personal issue. For a clue - look in your Soldbuch...... All issue items are recorded in there.........
Actually I've seen a few soldbuchs with issued smocks in them, but not many, and generally speaking your post is correct. The soldbuchs I am talking about had the smock written in them instead of stamped/printed.
Fritz bayerlein

This is what makes the hobby interesting. :)
andy d

Post by andy d »

Fritz bayerlein wrote:This is what makes the hobby interesting. :)
Absolutely.
And I think that the all of the posters on here are adding to the knowledge base of an area which is fascinating.
On occasions many of these type of threads can result in slagging matches, and that benefits noone.
I know that when I joined the SBG, the wealth of knowledge was one reason that I became even more keen history. It rekindled a flame that I had as a kid.
Very informative posts by Stig, Fritz,HG and Sheikh.
So keep up the constructive criticism, as it is for the benefit of us all.
meyer

Post by meyer »

Smock or no smock that is the question :?: got i felling this may run round in rings for weeks lads ,but there's one thing i know they (or anyone else for that matter) don't get issued with were realy bad far east copy italian pants eh bob :lol:

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”