GJ badges

Moderator: les hearn

Grenadier82

GJ badges

Post by Grenadier82 »

Hello everybody,

last year I got these badges from my family. They belonged to the brother of my grandma. He was a member of "L.Pi.Kol. Geb.Pi 85".

Can someone tell me something about the Edelweiß with the ski in the center of the picture and below about the two flat Edelweiß?

Hope someone can help me!

Best regards!

Stephan

P.s. The "real" Edelweiß is about 70 years old :shock:
Attachments
DSC00829.jpg
DSC00829.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
unsam

Re: GJ badges

Post by unsam »

Grenadier82 wrote:
Can someone tell me something about the Edelweiß with the ski in the center of the picture and below about the two flat Edelweiß?
1.Edelweiß with the ski-I saw a photo... But I do not remember (but - hande made)
2.two flat Edelweiß-Emblems of mountain troop Austrian to 1938
Image, Image
Grenadier82

Post by Grenadier82 »

Aha perfect! That fits. I have got also a picture of him in Austrian-Uniform.

One detail more in the puzzle :wink:

Thanks!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Is it possible that you may tell us more about him ? I'm very much interested in stories about austrian GJ being transferred to Wehrmacht.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Grenadier82

Post by Grenadier82 »

Yes of course :D But I don't know much about his military career yet. I'm waiting for the WAST Information.
I have one picture of him with austrian uniform and some in Wehrmacht tunics. One fighting place I know is greek. He was holder of the EKI, EKII, KVK and "Sudentenland" medal.

Does anyone know more about the Edelwiß with the ski?

Regards

Stephan
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Lets speculate a bit...

Judging on your info he was probably a soldier of Gebirgs-Pionier-Bataillon 85:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... iBat85.htm

Facts:
Aufgestellt am 1. Juli 1938 mit Friedensstandort Salzburg im Wehrkreis XVIII. Zur Aufstellung wurde Personal des Pionier-Bataillon 8 des östereichischen Bundesheeres verwendet.
Dord schuf das Bataillon die Voraussetzungen für den Vormarsch deutscher Kräfte nach Griechenland im Straßenbau. Das Bataillon kämpfte an der Metaxas-Linie und schlug bei Xanthi eine Brücke über den Nestos
Am 10. November 1943 wurde es auf 4 Kompanien verstärkt und in Ski-Pionier-Bataillon 85 umbenannt und der 1. Ski-Brigade (später 1. Ski-Division) unterstellt.

The last one answers your question I suppose - I think its a remade cap Edelweiss to form 'ski-jager' insignia. Different from official one but very interesting. Quite interesting man...If he's a EK holder - he might be easier to track. Is it possible to get his name ? a short query around might bring better results than you think :)

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Stephan,

****Mario beat be to the punch!**** ;-)

What a great collection from your great uncle. From the information you have provided, he must have been from the Salzburg area originally served with the Salzburger Pionierbataillon 8...after the Anschluss was transformed into the Gebirgspionier Battalion 85 where he served in the leichte Pioneer Kolonne. The Geb.Pi.Btl. 85 was an independent unit which was controlled at the Army level. The shoulderboards that you have are pre-war types and for the rank of Oberjäger.

They fought in Poland in 1939, France in 1940, Greece (the Metaxas Line) in 1941, then Russia in June of 41.

In November 1943, the Geb.Pi.Btl. 85 was changed to Ski Pionier Btl. 85 and became part of the 1. Skijäger Division....the Edelweiss with the ski was the unit emblem.

If you can read German, I would recommend that you get Manfred Benkel's book "Gebirgspioniere: Die Geschichte einer Spezialtruppe."

As well as Georg Gunter's book "Die deutschen Skijäger."

Here's an item that I have in my collection from Geb.Pi.Btl. 85:

Gebirgspioniere vor!

Papa
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Grenadier82

Post by Grenadier82 »

Hey Heeresbergführer!

Tahnks a lot for these great informations!! Yes I can read German :wink: I'm from Germany/ Munich.
My grand uncle lived until his death in Salzburg. Maybe I also will get his Soldbuch - but it is still missing :cry:

@ Papa: You item from the Geb.Pi.Btl. 85 is wonderful :shock: Have you got other items from the unit which you can show me?

Has someone also such an Edelweiß/ski badge?
When I get new infos about my grand uncle I will post them!

Best regards!
Stephan
LuftwaffeFD

Post by LuftwaffeFD »

Thanks for posting up such fantastic information and pictures of your Great Uncle :D

Danny
"Chorlitz|12.SS|": With that many mp40s i dont think anyone had a chance.
"Gott Mit Uns": Your right - they were all picked off 300 meters away by riflemen.
Grenadier82

Post by Grenadier82 »

Is it possible to get some informations about austrain soldiers before 1938? Is there a similar instition like the WAST in Germany where I can ask?

Stephan
gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Realy interesting!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Di' Stephan,

Do you still live in München? I lived there from 1987-91 at McGraw Kaserne (old RZM Headquarters) in Perlacher Forst. I'll have to see if I have any other items from Geb.Pi.Btl. 85. As for the Edelweiss with the ski, I have seen one before that I was bidding on ebay, but I did not win it.

I'm sure that there is a similar Austrian organization like WAST, but I don't know what it is. You may want to also try the Gebirgsjäger Veterans Association which is in München.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Grenadier82

Post by Grenadier82 »

Hey Patrick,

yes I'm still living near Munich :D HAve you got an adress from the "Gebirgsjäger Veterans Association" for me?

Horrdio!

Stephan
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”