What do your Family think of reenacting?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

grenmartens

Re: What do your Family think of reenacting?

Post by grenmartens »

No comment - sorry, I really would like to comment but it wouldn't be fair :shock:
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

my wife and parents are all in the hobby anyway so it is all perfectly normal for them. The wife's parents over in Sweden have really grasped what we do and why etc and think it is great (they come to Normandy with us last year and were dressed in uniform etc and really got into it).

Other family members just think we are eccentric! :P

Ashley
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
Reinhard Litzen

Post by Reinhard Litzen »

Very supporting! They even help out as much they can and they are very interested in what I do. My grand-father is most because he is a history head ;)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

grenmartens wrote:No comment - sorry, I really would like to comment but it wouldn't be fair :shock:
Heh heh...... don't be shy everybody else has thrown in their two cents about me lol :D
Riedmuller

Post by Riedmuller »

well when i started out it was just me and my family where why do you wanna be a kraut!!
now my step dad has a willys jeep and BSA M20 my brother is building up his american kit my mum wont stop listening to glenn miller :evil: and started 1940s dancing with my dad and my sister and her boyfriend dress as civilians aswell all because my step dad took me to Beltring and i suggested he should buy a willys jeep :D wish it was as easy as that with the missies
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

In general:

"It's just an excuse for a bunch of blokes to dress up and get pissed at weekends!"

My elderly relatives (all now gone) mainly frowned but only one (who was strafed and bombed) really got upset.

However, my friend's wife, who was a born-again Christian and who was aware I was in the Freemasons (at that time) and re-enacted W-SS, once said "I don't mind you being in the SS but I don't like you being in the masons as they are all devil worshippers :shock: !!" :lol:
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

JDR

Post by JDR »

Schäfer wrote:In general:

"It's just an excuse for a bunch of blokes to dress up and get pissed at weekends!"

My elderly relatives (all now gone) mainly frowned but only one (who was strafed and bombed) really got upset.

However, my friend's wife, who was a born-again Christian and who was aware I was in the Freemasons (at that time) and re-enacted W-SS, once said "I don't mind you being in the SS but I don't like you being in the masons as they are all devil worshippers :shock: !!" :lol:
You were happy to tell them you were a W-SS re-enactor and in the masons but i bet you didnt mention you supported the Hammers thou lol
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

JDR wrote: You were happy to tell them you were a W-SS re-enactor and in the masons but i bet you didnt mention you supported the Hammers thou lol
There are some things Jon that are just *too* embarrasing to divulge, lol!
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

My wife says she loves me but says that she cannot believe she's married to me... as I stand there in the kitchen peeling spuds in my Obergrenadier uniform!
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
MrKris

Post by MrKris »

Ironically, only the German side of my family likes my reenacting lol
Rodian

Post by Rodian »

I'm quite fortunate to have full support from all my friends and family, including grandparents. :)

Ironically, if my great-grandparents still lived they would probably have had a problem with me having a brit impression instead of a german one :shock:
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Mostly I get made fun of while "playing dress up". I don't mention it to the girls, but sometimes it slips...doesn't go over too well here in Switzerland as most of the people dislike the Germans as it is, I already get a lot of booing while supporting the Deutsche Fussball Bund...so WWII Germans.... :roll:

When I was in Canada, almost everyone thought it was cool, even better that I was reenacting the Germans! The Canadians often have quite a bit of respect for them and they're pretty open to reenactment, so are the Yanks.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
crossofiron

Post by crossofiron »

some interesting comments, ive never really thought of family thinking re-enacting was odd! but then i have an odd family :)

max
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

My mother once suggested all my German kit should be burned...thats about the only conversation they ever had about it. :roll:
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

I think I am very lucky with the family. My dad loves it, like one other person said aswell,my dad did the same and also brought a willys jeep, he loves the events. My mum finds it weird but doesn't mind. Just doesn't like all the guns lmao. The wife does it aswell even better. Reenactment is where I met her. So winner all round. I think if my grandmother was still around she would really disagree with me doing German, she was worried when one day I was round hers reading a book about th SS and Wehrmacht. God only knows what she would say now. Lol. Me dad had to explain to her I had an interest and that was pushing it. Lol. I don't keep it a secret I'm proud to do it. It's good to give something back from history. A few people ar work think its wrong but when you explain why they seem to understand and think its cool.
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr

Return to “General”