Jackboots

Moderator: Feldjager

valkyrie895

Jackboots

Post by valkyrie895 »

Gentlemen, I have an opportunity to get a pair of At The Front Jackboots(not the new "Texled" ones). How are they sized? I bought a pair of the lowboots, despite being warned otherwise, and I am tickled pink about them. Anything anybody says about them having bad quality is absolutely untrue in my opinion. As long as you grease them, and clean them, they will servo you well. I was at an event where the mud was knee-deep and there were puddles everywhere. I walked wherever i wanted because i had greased them so well not a drop of moisture touched my precious feet. I cleaned them VERY well afterwards and put a large amount of grease in them. they are now a very attractive"mocha" color. But anyway, do the jackboots fit tight or do they fit loose? Wide or narrow?
Thank you for your help,
GN
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
Rentsel

Re: Jackboots

Post by Rentsel »

Compared to the lowboots, the jackboots fit much tighter and they seem narrower too. For example I ordered a pair of lowboots and jackboots from ATF, both size 11 - the lowboots had a lot of room in them but the jackboots were too small to wear at all. So if you wear half size, go up not down.

I don't know if ATF has improved their jackboots over the time, but the cut of these has never seemed very good to me - to wide calf etc... I would stick with lowboots if possible...

I have worn my ATF lowboots heavily for 4 years now... and probably next 4 years too.
valkyrie895

Post by valkyrie895 »

will keep that in mind. have you ever tried the "vinegar and steel wool" blackening method? I would like to give that a shot.
Obergefreiter Bodo Fehrmann
II./984. Grenadier Regiment, 275. Infanterie Division

"Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!"
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I have a pair of ATF low boots and am happy with them. However, I recently purchased a pair of low boots from Jan Berger. All I can say is WOW!. Not cheap but great quality. I donated my ATF boots to my son and now wear Jan's boots. I also bought a pair of his WW1 jackboots and they are awesome as well.
Most guys I know who have the older ATF jackboots don't like them. I read he reworked them so I suspect they must be alot better.
I've done the steel wool/vinegar method and it works pretty well. You'll need to let it soak for quite some time though before it will darken properly (30 days).
Good luck,
mauser98

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”