German Reenactors Handbook

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Hoffman Grink

Re: German Reenactors Handbook

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I guarantee you'd get some busted arse telling you the info in that book was wrong..... ha ha ha ha
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

For 1939 or 1945 it is? :?
Well, some of it is.
That is one of the problems with this reenactor book idea. The German armies were not static unchanging monoliths, they morphed and evolved as the war and the tactics needed to fight that war changed.
As has been highlighted you would need several editions to cover the changes over time, more to cover organisational differences, FJR, KM, SS, WH, Gebirgs and Police etc.
Its a lifetimes work, if I were to embark on such an effort I'd expect some remuneration for the weeks and months of time it would take. Not just the copy but commissioning and collating the photos and illustrations would be costly and time consuming, it may shock some but you have to pay to have photos in your books unless you own the original. People expect to be paid for collecting news items for reenactors, providing the foundation stones for the hobby should be no different.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Stigroadie wrote:For 1939 or 1945 it is? :?
Well, some of it is.
That is one of the problems with this reenactor book idea. The German armies were not static unchanging monoliths, they morphed and evolved as the war and the tactics needed to fight that war changed.
As has been highlighted you would need several editions to cover the changes over time, more to cover organisational differences, FJR, KM, SS, WH, Gebirgs and Police etc.
Its a lifetimes work, if I were to embark on such an effort I'd expect some remuneration for the weeks and months of time it would take. Not just the copy but commissioning and collating the photos and illustrations would be costly and time consuming, it may shock some but you have to pay to have photos in your books unless you own the original. People expect to be paid for collecting news items for reenactors, providing the foundation stones for the hobby should be no different.
Makes perfect sense, and like I said, I am interested in doing a WH Heer 1944-45 edition, as it seems reenactors portray that the most. I do believe we need foundation stones for this hobby to continue. If I do decide to do this, I will most likely use my own unit as the starting point for pictures, etc. and see if I can incorporate it into the group. Thanks for all the constructive criticism gents.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
der Blutiger Eimer

Post by der Blutiger Eimer »

My recommendation, being primarily a visual learner, would be to have a significant number of reference photos for each unit you are interested in for each engagement/battle/period you are interested in. Know how to pick your unit out in photos when possible (distinctive insignia, vehicle markings, tactical symbols, etc.) and compile a reference.
For example, I am interested in the 5. Gebirgsjäger at Kreta, so I've collected all the photos I can find showing the battle and occupation, and use that as a basis. Ditto for units at Stalingrad, I've collected all the photos I can find, for reference on what kind of gear was most common, what uniforms were prevalent, how they were worn, what wasn't worn, how the changing tide of battle and change of weather affected everything, etc. You can debate a single photo, but basing a particular impression on a majority of photos of a particular situation is safer.
Just my zwei pfennigs.
Matthäus Klieber
97. Jäger-Division
71. Infanterie-Division
5. Gebirgsjäger-Division
T/5 Matthew Cleaver
165th Signal Photo Company
Gott Mit Uns
Hurra die Gams!
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

I think this thing might happen, but on the level of my unit I reenact, to see how it goes. The idea was actually introduced by another member, so I think they want one too. :)
Kampfgruppe Steiner

Return to “General”