The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Peiper

Re: The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing

Post by Peiper »

GD,obergrenadier wrote: Peiper,the dealers that are "ripping you off" are a BUSINESS,they can't afford to buy your stuff or anyone else's at full value,it would put them OUT of business.Regardless of what you paid for the items,it would still be considered "used" by their standards (this is especially true of specialty items and uniforms)and to stay in business they have to buy low sell high(I grant you that sometimes the prices are retardedly high or ridiculous)not to mention that reenacting gear in general is a very small market and as a result the profit margin is even tighter.Bluntly put, if you don't like it don't sell or for that matter buy....
Thats fair enough nobody is disputing that, businesses have to make a profit, im not saying that
dealers pay the full price for things but at least be a bit more fairer :roll:

For instance as an example you sell something for say £200 which is the highest a dealer will give you
for an item then they sell it for £700, that is just plain greed and there's no need for it in my opinion
and they are not playing the game, basically they are taking the piss (iam referring to genuine items
here not repros)

As for things that have been found (battle relics) i too have given away things, but items i have paid
for i expect something back for them which the money would be put towards other items, anyway
this is my point of view, you either agree or not the same as i do with opinions then you move on....
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Peiper wrote:
GD,obergrenadier wrote: Peiper,the dealers that are "ripping you off" are a BUSINESS,they can't afford to buy your stuff or anyone else's at full value,it would put them OUT of business.Regardless of what you paid for the items,it would still be considered "used" by their standards (this is especially true of specialty items and uniforms)and to stay in business they have to buy low sell high(I grant you that sometimes the prices are retardedly high or ridiculous)not to mention that reenacting gear in general is a very small market and as a result the profit margin is even tighter.Bluntly put, if you don't like it don't sell or for that matter buy....
Thats fair enough nobody is disputing that, businesses have to make a profit, im not saying that
dealers pay the full price for things but at least be a bit more fairer :roll:

For instance as an example you sell something for say £200 which is the highest a dealer will give you
for an item then they sell it for £700, that is just plain greed and there's no need for it in my opinion
and they are not playing the game, basically they are taking the piss (iam referring to genuine items
here not repros)

As for things that have been found (battle relics) i too have given away things, but items i have paid
for i expect something back for them which the money would be put towards other items, anyway
this is my point of view, you either agree or not the same as i do with opinions then you move on....

I understand where you are coming from Peiper, dealers do want stuff at a lower price than what we would expect at times and sell for a premium, I think time and experience teach us to buy and sell more wisely after getting our fingers burnt, when I sell anything I would normally give a few other wee bits and pieces as an added gift as a good will gesture. Having personally dealt with you Peiper I do have to say you were an extremely decent and fair person to deal or trade with and you got the items you required and I vice versa, however that extra little item you placed in the package I was very pleased with and you have my thanks and many regards, Mairtin.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

berlin1945 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from Peiper, dealers do want stuff at a lower price than what we would expect at times and sell for a premium, I think time and experience teach us to buy and sell more wisely after getting our fingers burnt, when I sell anything I would normally give a few other wee bits and pieces as an added gift as a good will gesture. Having personally dealt with you Peiper I do have to say you were an extremely decent and fair person to deal or trade with and you got the items you required and I vice versa, however that extra little item you placed in the package I was very pleased with and you have my thanks and many regards, Mairtin.
No probs mate, as i said if i have duplicate items or the few things the same i would rather give
them away to a good home and to someone who needs them (re-enactors), especially when
"thinning" out my stuff and if i have no use for it, i will try to help anybody out if i can, that sort
of thing isn't a problem, i was referring to military antique dealers (not repro traders) who seem to go
out their way to fleece you, anyway you live and learn lol :lol:

Good hunting, Pipes

Return to “General”