Swiss mountain boots question.

Moderator: les hearn

3rdssmann

Swiss mountain boots question.

Post by 3rdssmann »

I have a question about Swiss mountain boots. I have found a source for them, but I am unsure if it would be worth converting. After scouring the forum, particularly everything under the Topic Gebirgsjager, I have found that Swiss mountain boots are an acceptable form of boot in the reenacting community. However, I find that the ones I have sourced have a Rubber sole that appears to have a modern tread. I see that a lot of reenactors have what looks to be 1950's era Swiss boots that are hobnailed and such. Do the swiss boots come with rubber soles after a particular date, or does one need to have them re-soled to make them correct for reenacting purposes? To follow that question, if a pair of leather soled swiss mountain boots are found will they have the correct hobnails or would that need to be corrected?

Forgive me if I am asking a dumb question, I am a reenactor who is branching out from his primary impression and trying to create a second one. Gebirgsjager has always interested me, and now I am starting to persue it as a nice breath of fresh air from SS.
Halle

Re: Swiss mountain boots question.

Post by Halle »

Hello 3rdssman ,
Glad to hear you are branching out into Gebirgsjager . As to the boots , as you say, many Gebirgs reenactors use Swiss army mountain boots , and the answer to yout question is simple . Rubber soles are a no no , and the uppers must be all leather . If they come with leather soles they will in all probability have the nails and cleats in them already , so no worries . If you want to convert them , it's ; cost of boot £50-70 , leather resole and addition of nails etc . , purchase of nails and cleats (48/50 per boot ) . Total ; £200 + ? You can get some really nice repros now for £280-320 depending on where you get them ( loads of info about this on the forum ) .

Hope that's of some help , just out of interest , which Gebirgs unit / period are you thinking of doing ?

Bergheil , Steve .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
3rdssmann

Re: Swiss mountain boots question.

Post by 3rdssmann »

Thanks Halle! Although I like projects, I think I am going to take your advice and save up for a nice pair of repros. After much studying (which will never end! :lol: ) I found that the 85. Gebirgsjäger Rgt. Is exactly what I am looking for in a second impression! I have always been intrigued by Gebirgsjäger units and the 85.GJR would allow me to take a breath of fresh air from having an Eastern front impression and the SS as a whole. I also like that it is still does not fit the Normandie or Bulge area of operations. There are too many events here in the US centered on those campaigns only.

I have not found much in the way of Gebirgsjäger units here in the middle of the US, additionally, I have a few members of my unit interested in pursuing this with me as a second impression as well. The 85. GJR seems to have a lot to offer and will continually build upon itself. The 85. fought from Kreta to the end in Italy. I am still starting with the basics, only so much of my current impression can be carried over to Heer and is even more limited to Gebirgsjäger! I appreciate any help and constructive criticism too.

Birgheil!
Brad

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”