THETFORD AFTER EVENT "DEBRIEF"

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
helga

Post by helga »

Not sure anyone values my opinion on this matter but here goes................
This was my frist private battle and I was unsure of what to expect but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it was hot, Yes it was cold on a night but great site and wonderful location for the event.
It could have done with certain areas being looked at further but what event runs smoothly? I think both Pauls need a pat on the back. Also a pat for the pyro team too!!!

Water - you were supposed to bring your own.
I donnated mine and PDs water in good faith but still encountered complaints, no one knew it would be contaminated ( tasted funny) maybe in future groups might bring their own Gerry cans.

Maps - i was under the opinion that few people back in the day would have had direct access to these when out in the field you should all have pads n paper to make notes
After one hour i knew where everyone was, where I was at all times and was able to direct people easily - thought it was women who couldnt read maps.

All other ups and downs are in great scheme of things oo small to mention. I will say one last thing tho'
Those who want to go away for a good old shoot about, thats great but!!! if your not willing to engae the enemy or move around the site or follow a scenario................who you going to shoot?

Dont get grumpy boys none of this is aimed at anyone in particular, just my view on things.

Great to see you all again and great to meet some new faces.

See you all soon

H x :D :D :D :D :D
People who think they know everything only infuriate those of us who do
Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only she did it backwards and in high heels.......

F.R.A.U. Females Re-enacting Axis Units
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Reading this makes me think back to my days in the Army and come on some of you old hands out there must think the same.I will try to get there next year as it sounds like great fun dont know what they will say about me geting on the plane with a K98 :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage
simon

Post by simon »

Franz...if it happens next year,BE THERE.....it was well worth flying to for us Irish lads 8)
Der Dachs mit Dudelsack
---------------
FJ 39-45
Fallschirmjaeger Ang'
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I will Simon I just hope the Good Fwbl wont have me Digging Shithouses cos I am a Pioniere
ImageImageImageImageImage
Davros

Post by Davros »

Throughly enjoyed the event in the end. Turned up Sat morning at 8am and was told by the American on the gate ' Better late than never '. I thought what a great start to the weekend even though on the orders it said be there by 9.30 at the latest. Found German CP to be told by one of my group that noone knows what was happening. Our Oberfeld went and saw the German CO and got orders to stay at the CP until further notice. Eventually given orders to patrol and bump into some Yanks. From that moment until evening was in combat and had a great battle defending the CP with Tiger 1 against the Brits.
Sunday up early and did a hit and run on an American CP. Then joined in the big offensive against the Brit CP. Finally finished the day defending our CP again.

No trouble with water as I had brought enough with me to last the weekend.

Thanks to the organisers for a great weekend and to all the German groups for working so well together.
' And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him '.

Schutze Schreiber
http://www.dasheer.org
Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay »

Turned up Sat morning at 8am and was told by the American on the gate ' Better late than never '. I thought what a great start to the weekend
Yes that was me......i jinxed it all for everyone! Damn!

Anywho...here's some stuff Paul asked me to post for him.

Official Release Debrief

Firstly i'd like to thank everyone for turning up and hoped that they had a good weekend !.
Secondly, i'd like to salute Pete Skillman (who i have never meet to the best of my knowledge). But to be able to put this type of event on and want to do it again and again, he has my utmost respect and who was an asset a lot of you will never realise.

From the MoD perspective they were very pleased with the way the site was left and run we have been welcomed back.( This is the first time that the MoD has allowed civilians on the area for a re-enactment training weekend) So thank you again for helping to keep this site open for other venues should you all wish to come back !
I have never done an event like this before and was told it was hard work, but never realised how hard.

We had to make this thing fly. I had a risk assessment and insurance cover to hand over by Monday morning or the whole thing was off. With over 160 people to keep happy and off my back . Bonds to submit and contracts to sign and countersign, then over to Waterbeach to get the Secretary of states signatory approval, all before Friday. Otherwise no one comes on site and my contact saying that she has a first aide course to attend and we have to work around that for 3 days. Well “ tempest fugit “ 11th hr and we have approval this thing can happen !

All day Thursday getting kit out ready for the event. Someone asked me if I could provide pup tents, as some of his guys needed 3 for the weekend. Yes happy to help where I can. So pulled out 10 just in case more required .Not one was picked up or asked for !

I thought I had all angles covered. We would have comms for the CO’s and Directing staff / pyro teams, and one for a paramedic and these were all that were needed. Little did I realise how splintered the groups were and that everyone wanted a radio, something that had never been brought to an event before .This was a H&S and a timing issue so that the CO’s could kick off together.

I did expect the CO’s to come to the briefings at the stated times, There by to discus the way the battle was to run . I expected that (as these are run on a military theme) that there would be 1 overall commander and 2 IC of each side, and that they would then brief all the other CO’s of the different units (how wrong I was). I had 2 sets of orders printed (which I was up until dark o'clock printing off reams of the stuff and put into envelopes. Germans in one envelope and Americans and allied in another)1 for the CO and another for the 2IC.

I failed in my duty as did some of the commanders of the units in their responsibilities to deliver, as one never showed at all to the briefings. Thereby letting not only themselves down but everyone else. I believed that the orders would be passed to the other unit commanders as it would happen for real. But i failed in checking this had happened as some units were left to sort there own battle. This should not have happened and I apologise for that. If in doubt ask !! A few unit commanders were outstanding and thanks for your help and understanding, it took a bit of pressure off me.

Also many thanks to Paul Dalby “bless him” who worked so hard to put together the scenarios not once twice or three times. But this was the forth time he had worked his ass off putting detail into the event. Directions, maps, aerial photos, timings everything covered. But thrown in the bin 3 out of the 4 times due to the MoD changing the area that we could use. Alas he was going on holiday the week leading up to the event, and the one thing that got left off were the new maps that were to be issued with new grid references. As you are all aware you were on MoD land and there for were NOT permitted to copy and use any maps without the clearance of the MoD, because of copyright and security. So come Saturday morning we have clearance to do so and I get home to copy 10 maps that would be required by CO’s .

7 directing staff were to come to the event. Again I believe this to be a new concept and an addition to the norm. These would oversee the battle plan and guide/sort any issues that may arise. They were to work with the commanders and CP in the overall running of things. 4 out of the 7 never showed for various reasons . This left me very short staffed and gave extra work to those who were present. Many thanks to you guys (you know who you are!).

WATER CONTAMINATION !! Well we were told that the stand pipe was good and usable. Mid morning on Saturday I was told there was a problem with the water. It tasted odd. Well I tried it and I was not happy with it. So told all that I could not to drink the water, and that if you need water I would arrange a water run for you. In all i delivered over 300+ Ltrs of water or arranged for them to be delivered. I am not psychic if you needed water tell me and i'll sort it . It took too much of my time up as i was the only one with a pass for different areas, so took my eye off the ball when it came to the battle.

Then while delivering water to an RV point, i came across the jeep incident. My focus was in this issue and passed command to PD until sorted. I was pleased to hear that the guy is OK and would wish him a speedy recovery. (Where else can you pay £30 and get a free helicopter ride thrown in!).

Also I would like to remind the photographers who were there that the MoD needs to clear the photos before release to anyone, so that they are happy with what is going into the public domain. As this site is still very operational. Also to seek their permission before anything goes to print.

Apologies again to the Brits for the artillery not arriving with the transport. I was very disappointed that never happened. I felt I had let people down due to no fault of mine but the people I had entrusted to come. But the buck stops here. They will not be entertaining us with there presence next time. I would welcome comments good or bad as there has been a lot to learn on this event. Some points have been raised on this forum but I am not a member of this forum and unable to comment on here so please forward your emails to the following address :-

felixuxo@hotmail.com

Thanks again to all,

rgds Paul Heddell.
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

From the MoD perspective they were very pleased with the way the site was left and run we have been welcomed back.
:shock: Never heard that from the MOD before! Are you sure the water wasn't contaminated with LSD?
simon

Post by simon »

The water you were drinking may well have been Tim :lol: :wink:
Der Dachs mit Dudelsack
---------------
FJ 39-45
Fallschirmjaeger Ang'
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

bee wrote:
Some of the americans were awful as usual, not taking hits and not pushing enough. some of the brits were a bit awful as well.

i
It works both ways there bee, each side can complain of not taking hits. The last attack on saturday the americans were getting mullard, and appearently a german soldier with a bolt action took out 4 rangers with one shot, how you work that out :)?

Also there were 2 germans hiding behind bushes and failed to 'act pinned' or take hits when i unloaded a 250round belt and a number of rangers are shooting at them.

so at the end of the day. it takes 2 to tango :)

Tom
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Hans Gowert wrote:Also there were 2 germans hiding behind bushes and failed to 'act pinned' or take hits when i unloaded a 250round belt and a number of rangers are shooting at them.

so at the end of the day. it takes 2 to tango :)

Tom
You talking about on the last attack on the German CP, one guy hiding in some tall grass on the far side of the hill? Because that was me, and it was my first battle. Sorry :oops:
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

It was the last attack on the town on the saturday this happened.

Tin
Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay »

Posted this on WWiireenacting site but not sure if you all use that site too.
Whats your thinking on the weekend now you've had time to reflect?
This is the way i see it so far. During and imediately after the weekend operations, i was in the same mindset as most of you.
Everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and personaly thought it was going to turn into a big f**k up. But after carefully reading
of all the comments made, i eventually realised how close to real events in combat it became!

Firstly, orders were given to deploy troops in their respective areas by 'High Command', based on whatever inteligence was gathered before hand.
Some of these proposed CP's were found to be totaly inadequate and un-defendable. Thus the group leaders decided to relocate
to more suitable terrain. Unable to report new location to HQ or to other groups due to faulty communications or lack of, led to confusion.
There were cases of friendly fire and unintended contact with the enemy. All of which no doubt was common throughout not just WW2 but any war.

Other problems like transportation and the expected artillery not arriving, could have been a case of lost in combat/captured/diverted elsewhere.
In each case Individuals and leaders changed plans accordingly, and acted on their own initiative with the current information at hand.
The Germans coped well and must be attributed to good training, discipline and excellent leadership. Just like they were well known for.
Did all this not happen on a regular basis too?

Now how many of us watched Band of Brothers before-hand to brush up on their Hurtgen? And fully expected to be acting out those scenes?
Well thats what i was eagerly expecting to see and i'm glad i didn't. What i got was a more realistic idea of what the veterans mean when they tell you
" war is nothing like Hollywood ". You can't read about it, watch it in a movie or be told what is was like. You have to experiance it!

Carefully coreographed and executed scenario's i feel are fine for public display. Where the good guys always win in the end. But this was something
totaly different. Something you can't plan or make happen however astute the organisers are, (and i hope most of us agree, was what we were looking for,
realism!). Maybe i should read more books and watch less TV.

Nobody did anything ' wrong ' at the end of the day and everybody did what they decided needed doing at the time. Perhaps next time a loose idea of
a scenario would be better? Rather than saying this or that will happen and Allies/Axis will win/lose. After all the final objective is to win the war in any
way possible.

Am i talking sh*t?....most likely.
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Jay, you hit the nail on the head there mate.

I'll tell you all what..... I am so glad the MoD were happy with the event and will have us back. Only a few folk have any idea how much was at stake with this event.

I was one of the DS that cleared the site on Sunday and you boys did a wonderful job of clearing your respective sties. It is down to you that we can go back, pat yourselves on the back. Job well done.
Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay »

you boys did a wonderful job of clearing your respective sties
Do you mean pig sties...thats a bit harsh mate :lol:
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Jay-Jay wrote:
you boys did a wonderful job of clearing your respective sties
Do you mean pig sties...thats a bit harsh mate :lol:
D'oh! :oops: I had to read my post three times before I saw what you mean :lol:

Well you know what they say.... Dyslexia rules KO

Return to “UK reenactment and events”