German POW´s

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
axis sally

German POW´s

Post by axis sally »

Found this website while surfing the www to find out more about Cannock Chase.

http://www.kriegsgefangen.de/
grenadier heeder

Post by grenadier heeder »

Good site. Thanks for the link b
bee

Post by bee »

yip, seen it too, but doesnt say anything about the women.... interns maybe. anyway. good site.
bee.
--
the greatest pet i had was a flat rat.
tutburytim

Post by tutburytim »

There were German prisoners of war up the chase in the Great War. Near the Brocton camp. I found a Imperial button up there once and the broken remains of one of those fancy china pipes with an Iron Cross in a wreath painted on. Beautifull bit of painting and tiny details too.
If you get chance, go early and see the deer roaming around . Plenty of traces of the camps too .
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Know any good dogging spots Tim? :wink:
tutburytim

Post by tutburytim »

Well when i was a nipper i knew an old bloke who had done his training in Rugeley camp as it then was . He mentioned how they used to tip any rubbish into ash tips he called them. Always wondered why they did'nt use bins but there you go. Anyway i was up there once many years ago and amongst the hut indentations i saw a small mound. A rabbit had obviously been digging there (the shite was me clue Watson) and i noticed that there was ash in the spoil.
Well turns out the old chap was right and they did chuck broken gear etc onto ash tips as there were GS buttons, heel plates, assorted buckles, those little old inkwells in brown clay, ceramic jam pots dated wartime, buttons even old pocket watches, knackered but still nice which the squadies had chucked as no good. Even found toothbrushes, no hair just bone handles. I dont think there has ever been a serious dig up there (cept for dumping rabbits of course) but if you imagine how many soldiers were up there, usualy division strength at least and for three or four years then those ash tips must be bursting with stuff. And if you look amongst the old hut outlines you will see little raised mounds and there be treasure cos thats probably your ash tips.
Naturaly its all forestry land as far as i know so best not dig . I have'nt been up in years so dont know how the law stands but no one seemed to care years ago. Its nice to wander amongst the old huts though and if you go to the 'Little Fawn' cafe in Brocton you can get a decent meal, best fish and chips for miles . To me while the cemetries up there commemorate the dead the camp sites to me commemorate those about to go to war.
There were two camps on the chase, Rugeley and Brocton, a hospital and prisoner of war camp ,both of these were at Brocton.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

No mate - not DIGGING spots - DOGGING spots...
(God I can't wipe the tears away fast enough!!!!)
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

at least he didnt reply about acne.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I though Acne was a borough in London? Doesn't Les live there?
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

if Les lives in london he can set up a meet at the bavarian beerhouse :) noch ein bier bitte :)
tutburytim

Post by tutburytim »

Strewth, i gotta get me bleedin eyes checked! Anyway, yes, loads of places......er i have heard.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

LOL Tim!
We have technicians who work on cell sites (Mobile phone masts) up there - Can see for miles apparently - Usually have a pair of very high powered Binos for doing line of sight on microwave dishes (yeah - - - - right!) and the things they see from up there are quite..... well..... you know...... :wink:
tutburytim

Post by tutburytim »

Me application forms now in the post!
the man who put the dig in dogging

Return to “Internet and links”