Ration Help Wanted

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

colonel blimp

Ration Help Wanted

Post by colonel blimp »

Hi everyone - big ask here. Does anyone have any scans or photos of the packaging for original German field rations (we've alrerady trawled the yahoo rero sights and don't know between us what's good, bad or indifferent) ? Perhaps, if there was specific mountain ration issued to the Gerbirgs - That they can send to us ??

We're running a photo shoot for as many different nationalities of Mountain troop as we can get together on March 1st and we've got the yank and brit stuff sorted but would really like to make sure that the guys from the 85th Gerbirgs get the same attention to detail as we've managed for the allies.

Thanks in advance guys.

Paul
(The enemy in your midst --- :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Steinmetz

Re: Ration Help Wanted

Post by Steinmetz »

There is a nice selection on this very site!
Here is a quick link:
http://www.panzergrenadier.net/resources-labels.php
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
colonel blimp

Post by colonel blimp »

Steinmetz - You and Botty are absolute stars - thanks guys.

Me ? I was going to nip down to Lidl for half a loaf of black bread and a salami each - our local health food shop does the roast acorn coffee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
bilko

Post by bilko »

Were just missing a Alpini contingent......

Dave.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

colonel blimp wrote:Hi everyone - big ask here. Does anyone have any scans or photos of the packaging for original German field rations (we've alrerady trawled the yahoo rero sights and don't know between us what's good, bad or indifferent) ? Perhaps, if there was specific mountain ration issued to the Gerbirgs - That they can send to us ??

We're running a photo shoot for as many different nationalities of Mountain troop as we can get together on March 1st and we've got the yank and brit stuff sorted but would really like to make sure that the guys from the 85th Gerbirgs get the same attention to detail as we've managed for the allies.

Thanks in advance guys.

Paul
(The enemy in your midst --- :lol: :lol: :lol: )

:lol: Im sorted :wink:
colonel blimp

Post by colonel blimp »

Is that the same for the rest of your lads, Dave ?

Paul
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

ok, as far as I know, 'branded tins' and food labels etc didn't exist. jolly useful on the field as a re-enactor cos you need your soup labelling.
Actual labels on food stuffs are very far between. Big sacks of corn with WH on it seems to be the usual. Porridge anyone?

Consider the fat tin. with that, you could cook anything!

For realism you either have a big regimental style cook up or some crap fried in fat.

-- Stein, the stuff there is for re-enactors not historians :) :) A lot of it is very useful, very good for the public but not historically accurate. Some of it is though :) you choose :)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Alex wrote:ok, as far as I know, 'branded tins' and food labels etc didn't exist. jolly useful on the field as a re-enactor cos you need your soup labelling.
Actual labels on food stuffs are very far between. Big sacks of corn with WH on it seems to be the usual. Porridge anyone?

For realism you either have a big regimental style cook up or some crap fried in fat.

-- Stein, the stuff there is for re-enactors not historians :) :) A lot of it is very useful, very good for the public but not historically accurate. Some of it is though :) you choose :)
A goods point :D
Obviously most of these labelled items were for civillian consumtion,
but soldiers often purchased these items as "extras" to add to their
measly/small Army food rations :D

Regards Peiper :D
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

Most of those labels are still fantasy items though - I'd still like to see the original sources for the labels. If they did exsit, then great!

Civilian items? I've got a few dozen of them, here's the few I've reproduced so far:
personal_food.jpg
personal_food.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
personal_food2.jpg
personal_food2.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Peiper wrote:
Alex wrote:ok, as far as I know, 'branded tins' and food labels etc didn't exist. jolly useful on the field as a re-enactor cos you need your soup labelling.

A goods point :D
Obviously most of these labelled items were for civillian consumtion,
but soldiers often purchased these items as "extras" to add to their
measly/small Army food rations :D

Regards Peiper :D
Civilian items they would find there way into the supply chain used by the Wehrmacht still with there labels on .As Alex said most cooking would be done via the Fieldkitchen
Then moved Forward ok this was done on the more static fronts or rest areas
Captured Foods were used as well
Unloading rations from the train (thats what it says on the back ) no labels
A soldiers home here in Finland a place were small items could be purchased
Of corse fresh Fish was not always of the Menu
Willkommene abwechslung.
Für eine Schützenpanzerwagen-Besatzung wenige Kilometer hinter der Hauptkampflinie: Verteilung der Marketenderware!
ImageImageImageImageImage
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Hi Franz. Whats the Dot pattern item the guy on the right of the picture is wearing??? My monitor is really dark so can't make it out. Doesn't look like a wrap or a tunic. Can't see any fastenings down the front but that may be due to my monitor.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

colonel blimp

Post by colonel blimp »

dog green 1 wrote:Hi Franz. Whats the Dot pattern item the guy on the right of the picture is wearing??? My monitor is really dark so can't make it out. Doesn't look like a wrap or a tunic. Can't see any fastenings down the front but that may be due to my monitor.
It's pulling under the right collar and looks like it's fastened there, so I'd assume a wrap.

Paul
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

dog green 1 wrote:Hi Franz. Whats the Dot pattern item the guy on the right of the picture is wearing??? My monitor is really dark so can't make it out. Doesn't look like a wrap or a tunic. Can't see any fastenings down the front but that may be due to my monitor.
The guy standing its a wrap the guy kneeling looks like a wrap as well but on the upstairs monitor it looks like a overall
ImageImageImageImageImage
colonel blimp

Post by colonel blimp »

Franz repper wrote:
The guy standing its a wrap the guy kneeling looks like a wrap as well but on the upstairs monitor it looks like a overall
It's a wrap - time for a wrap party boys :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Ok thats a wrap then :lol: now back on track please guys. :wink:
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo

Return to “General”