Looking for correct fabric and/or pattern?

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Reich Crispies wrote:Hiya guys....
I have to agree with Jo most books state the SS uniform was a field grey not a pale grey. Ive come to some understanding that early on they were both but when materials became scarce they were all field grey as thats what they were already using for the mens uniform. As for the breast disc il email u the link kel....just gotta find it first.

Helgi!!
Thanks, Helga...err...Neil...err... I'm so confused!! :wink:

Heidi
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
klara

Post by klara »

Right

I've got photos of an original Heer jacket which was on sale at Beltring a few years ago. I spoke to the seller and spent about an hour looking at it, inside and out, and photographing it and I can definitely say that it was NOT made of wool. The material was more like a smooth knit wool gaberdine suiting weight and anyway why would helferins be wearing wool weight uniforms when working in an office.

Also some of you will remember that Steve has bought me the Heer Helferins photo album which has original photos.

If anyone is interested in seeing the photos of the jacket from Beltring pm me with your email address and I will gladly send them to you.

Kel - I will send you the copies today.
Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once!
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Funny you mention wool gabardine. Looking at some of the larger sized portraits of Helferinnen, their uniforms seem to be a thinner weight, smooth weave kind of fabric. And, while this might not be completely helpful here, the BDM leader uniforms which consisted of a dark blue skirt and a dark blue jacket, were also made from wool gabardine.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Sorry to digress from Helferin, but my other half wants to make a NS-Frauenschaft uniform and the Osprey book if not specific on material. We assumed it was wool but talking to Michelle at Bushy she seem to thinks it should be a cotton drill. Anyone got any ideas?
craigob

Post by craigob »

great thread this one,

Some of you know already that I look after a radio side of GD USA and we have 1 Blitz Madel at the minute and a couple more lined up,. Although her tunic is great for the summer, its will not be so good in the winter , It a thinner gaberdine cloth, I noticed from photos that there was a thicker cloth/wool used and this is what i'm looking for, I dont want the girls to be too cold.

I'm looking for a pattern for said tunic but these things seem to be as rare as hens teeth!!. no amout of $$$ seems to get me one :( or if i could get someone to make a thicker cloth tunic

Anyhoose pic below of Lisal ( she picked up an original overcoat a while back that helps the warmth but you cannot wear it all the time)

If you guys need original photos, i can post a ton... some you have prolly already seen but I bet there is few you havnt
Leutnant

Nachrichtenhelferin Uniform Fabric

Post by Leutnant »

Hello,

On page 214 of Volume 2 of Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army, 1933-1945 (Angolia and Schlicht), the text notes in regards to Army Helferin uniforms, "The cap, suits, and greatcoats were made of stone-grey wool or wool gabardine cloth (existing in some minor color variations due to dye lots)."

Craig

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”