Best retailer for FJ kit?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Fenech wrote:
FJR6 wrote: To be honest, there are countless FJ reenactors out there who would not recognize the difference between Splittermuster 31 and Splittermuster 41 and still think they are well dressed and kitted out first class.

This forum (& the other one) is testament to that!!!

But we mean them no harm, we just want to help them get it right (although making the same points over & over again does get a bit tedious but the struggle must go on!!)
Young Padawan dagda, listen to Master Geoff.
Really, I'm sorry if all this sounds discouraging, but I know exactly how you feel. The first jump smock I had bought from a German mailorder supplier 15 or so years ago was so bad, it was unbelieveable. Some of that batch still show up on Ebay occasionally, so buyer beware.
It was followed by an SM Wholesale smock which was better, but still not what I envisioned.
I'm glad that my wife showed a lot of understanding in this respect and I'm even more glad that I finally could lay my hands on a really good repro.
If you can, try to send your ATF smock back to ATF and get one of Barry Lyndon's smocks if a Zeugmeisterei smock is beyond your financial scope. You won't regret it.

best regards,
Volker
KDF

Advice

Post by KDF »

Fenech,
Thankyou for that...I`ve heard that the Gasmask bags sold by SOF are not to good, and that someone makes them?

The boots will be the next thing....The sheer amount of kit for FJ is quite stunning.

Kind regards,

Keith
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Keith,
trouble is that for a decent FJ kit you just don't buy a new jacket and another pair of trousers, it's essentially a complete new, unfortunately, very expensive kit from head to toe.
Unless you want to portray the exception you couldn't even use the Heer y-straps and the old belt buckle.
If you want to do a good FJ impression, there are no shortcuts.

best regards,
Volker
dagda

Post by dagda »

Thanks guys for all your help!! I will just have to stick with ATF smock(fighting back the tears and save for the zeugmeisterei boots and smock!! Again thanks for all!! :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops:
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

KDF

Ahhh kit

Post by KDF »

Volker,

Thankyou for your help.I am a new comer to all of this.Money is of course for us all a "sticky" question,but I`d love to try and get some reasonable kit together. So without sounding as per your standard questions ...any help is greatly apppreiacted.

My thanks to all FJ lads for any help in advance.

Keith
Fenech

Re: Advice

Post by Fenech »

KDF wrote:Fenech,
Thankyou for that...I`ve heard that the Gasmask bags sold by SOF are not to good, and that someone makes them?

The boots will be the next thing....The sheer amount of kit for FJ is quite stunning.

Kind regards,

Keith
One of our guys - Duncan - makes gasmask bags, even got the little rubber bung & 'bone' zip tag. If you see us (FJR6) at an event just come up & ask.

SASAK - the Society for the Abolition of Splinter A Knochensack
KDF

Swag

Post by KDF »

Hi again,
Sorry to hijack this thread.....

Maybe if there was a set of folk who agreed what the ...best kit to advise to buy from etc...almost a kit list and type of kit it would help?
Keith
dagda

Post by dagda »

A kit list with preferred suppliers that would be good!! superb idea!

paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

My list of basic Uniform with suppliers, it combines quality products with items that allow you to portray the Fallschirmjager in the majority of historical scenario's.

Uniform
Side cap – Richard Underwood
Grey pull over shirt with collar and x2 breast pockets– Richard Underwood
FleigerBluse– Richard Underwood
Jump trousers– Richard Underwood/Zeugmeister
Front lacing jump boots– Richard Underwood
Jump Helmet – keith hong kong (Ebay) - I would suggesat a dull dark grey finish with eagle decal only + a clip on green helmet cover.
Step in green smock – keith hong kong (Ebay)
Brown leather belt + buckle
Brown leather 'Y' straps
Water bottle (with tin cup)
Blue bread bag
Blue/grey bandoleers
Bayonet and frog.

This will allow you to do any impression from Crete to fall of the Reich (including Italy but not North Africa.)
dagda

Post by dagda »

Thanks! That helps a lot!!

Noily

Post by Noily »

paulmfjr2 wrote: Jump Helmet – keith hong kong (Ebay) - I would suggesat a dull dark grey finish with eagle decal only + a clip on green helmet cover.
Step in green smock – keith hong kong (Ebay)
(including Italy but not North Africa.)
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ww2militaria-keith7524fnl Keith Hong Kong Step in green smock

http://stores.ebay.com/Spearhead-Militaria Barry L Singapore/Canada Jump Helmet and Splinter Smocks
Last edited by Noily on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
dagda

Post by dagda »

I have never noticed much difference! because recently both of them have up the quality of the kit they provided!! :lol:

FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Hi,
Keith and Barry have strengths and weaknesses.
Usually the kit items which have been helped developed by reenactors are better than those they decided to shell out without further advice.
But you are right, the overall quality of their stuff is increasing.

best regards,
Volker
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

oli4vercammen wrote:Image

Ronny didn't know but again probably an At the front M40 / unknown, but to brown: bad and cheap copy

the Leutnant didn't know, but probably an At the front smock that was modified from M40 to M42 by the previous owner / Volker, help us? / the unknown smock withe the dark brown spots????
Ronny's should be an older ATF smock, mine is an NAME EDITED OUT AS REQUESTED BY NAMED PERSON smock, the one on Mark G. is a G-Max smock.
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Don't know, it could be a G-Max, but I'm not sure.
Mine was custom-made for NAME EDITED OUT AS REQUESTED BY NAMED PERSON who also reenacts WW2.
He had a smock custom-made for him and that one ended up with me some years ago.

Yes, Mark is the guy on the right in that picture.

best regards,
Volker

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”