Best retailer for FJ kit?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

KDF

Boots

Post by KDF »

Well with some luck before the season starts I may just find some.

Keith
paulmfjr2

Re: gloves

Post by paulmfjr2 »

KDF wrote:Thankyou Darren.

I think i`d be best off still asking you lads before i buy more stuff.The boots ( and I`ve read the other thread) seem to be the biggest priced thingy.
Keith
Exactly, to many people are happy to go along thinking ' i'll do it cheaper and just as good', why reinvent the wheel twice!, this forum has several experienced reenactors who are happy to help before you spend the big bucks.
Last edited by paulmfjr2 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KDF

Re: gloves

Post by KDF »

paulmfjr2 wrote:
KDF wrote:Thankyou Darren.

I think i`d be best off still asking you lads before i buy more stuff.The boots ( and I`ve read the other thread) seem to be the biggest priced thingy.
Keith
Exactly, to many people are happy to go along thinking ' i'll do it cheaper and just as good', why reinvent the wheel twice!, this forum has several experienced reenactors who are happy to help before you spend the big books.
Sounds ideal folk to me.:)
dagda

Post by dagda »

Ive ordered some stuff from keith 752, a FJ helmet, a gebergsjager anorak and a green helmet cover. The helmet arrived nice!, as did the anorak but no helmet cover!! I send emails, but all I get is that he will look into it!! And Ive noticed some of the stiching is not the best on the anorak!! I know you pay for what you get!

What is the quality of his stuff versus barry lyndon,or are they both the same!!ie getting it from the same source!! I ask this as a good friend of mine ordered stuff from both of them and it arrived at the same time!!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Send the helmet cover back if you get it or just ask for a refund now as it is WRONG!
dagda

Post by dagda »

I know, I know!! But it opens a whole quality debate! I mean I got a pair of luftwaffe tropical trousers from SOF and didnt really think twice about it! I was looking over them the other day and the stiching around the eyes for the buttons is, in a word shite! so this got me checking all the other bits and pieces Ive got in the uniform department and the quality from decnt suppliers to moody ones, the finishing is not great considering the amount of cash you have to pay!

paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Yes but there is a difference between quality of construction and accuracy of manufacture. An item that is historically accurate in manufacture is better than an item that is wrong but made in a better way.

EXAMPLE - the green helmet cover you have ordered, maybe good quality material and well made but as it is not historically accurate it is useless.

A pair of jump trousers that are accurate in cut, but badly stitched can just be restiched or strengthend when you get then.

yes there is abalancing act but some items do come along which give you both historical accuracy and are well manufactured.

EXAMPLE

Janke Fleigerbluse - accurate, well made, expensive.
Underwod fleigerbluse - accurate, well made, moderate price
Keith Fleigerbluse - fairly accurate, manufacturing ok but not great, cheap.

My money is on the Underwood fleigerbluse, buy it, look after it, use it to all events and it will last you years. The keith fleigerbluse will be ok for a couple of years but will not be as warm and the stitching will part with use, would need to replace after 2 years. If your serious about your hobby you can do the math.

Advice, join a group that has been around the block a few times they will show you what and where to buy kit that will mean you dont have to buy the same thing twice. Hell I have been doing this for 18 years and have replaced my entire kit about 3 times as quality has improved over the years. Now you dont have to the quality is there.
dagda

Post by dagda »

Good call Paul!!
Things have got a lot better, due to in part greater communication between individuals, before it was a afew like minded friends trying to work out the best place to get kit without massive financial pain!! It felt for a long time we were ploughing our own furrow so to speak! I sent an email to Keith to refund me the cash! Yoy pays your money and make your choice!! :lol:

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Where is the best place to get the M38 helmet and liner?

I have heard that the chinese copies are actually not bad, but may need to have the liner replaced?
fjr5rolf

Post by fjr5rolf »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (though it sounds if everyone's off ATF smocks already) is that the color/ dye on current run of ATF smocks fade out very quickly, in as little as two turns in the tub-

The browns go FAST, then the dark green.

After a few events, it turns into a camouflage-less olive smock with indistinct patterns...
carentan

Post by carentan »

Hi Rolf, You mean you've washed your smock - what a bizzare concept! :lol:
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
fjr5rolf

Post by fjr5rolf »

heheheh...had no choice, did a flying dive for cover only to land in a pile of cow $#!*....... :?
carentan

Post by carentan »

Cow sh*t, I dream of getting that on my smock :wink:
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Rob Sellers

Post by Rob Sellers »

Hi Guys,
I shall have the Rolls Royce of jump smocks with me at Odessey,namely a Tom Gulliver 2nd pattern splinter "step in" one of only 2 of this model that he has made.If you want to come and drool over it ,take pictures,try it on then be my guest and come over to the FJR2 display.
Cheers
Rob
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

And dont forget the Clean EX :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”