If doing a Battle of the Bulge event, What would you wear?

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

waffen44

If doing a Battle of the Bulge event, What would you wear?

Post by waffen44 »

If you were to participate in a Battle of the Bulge event as a fallschirmjaeger, what would you wear?

Would you wear a parka set in either field-grey or Sumpftarn an overwhite set or would you go fj wools with a type 2 Splinter B or Type 3 Splinter B or sumpftarn jump smock?
paulmfjr2

Re: If doing a Battle of the Bulge event, What would you wear?

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Yes to all of the above and also throw in a greatcoat or two!!!
waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

I will be partaking in a Battle of the Bulge reenactment soon and it's going to be cold out, I'm talking actual weather conditions as it was during the actual battle. I'm tempted to go the layers under the jumpsmock route but the parka set is tempting but heavier. What would people like to see more of?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

What would people like to see more of?

It's not next year's collection you're building..... What people would like to see is you, after research emulating the soldiers of Winter '44 and wearing what they did. Freunde Marsh has intimated that you ought to wear you wools under a smock under a greatcoat under a parka......... THAT WOULD BE ACCURATE........

And would look absolutely divine dahling. :lol:

Oh and don't forget to accessorise - Toque, Ear Warmers, Scarf, Gloves, you know it finishes an outfit off.
waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

A friend of mine was wondering if the fj were issued just the feldblau mantel or if they could have also ended up with a feldgrau m36 40 or 42? I am leaning towards the feldblau since it's the norm but anythings possible.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Feldblau mantel.
I've seen original pics of FJ in the Bulge with standard wools, all variations of the jump smock with gloves and scarves. I've seen full winter suit white side out, grey side out, splinter side out.

The best one for me is, standard wools, reversable trousers white side out, greatcoat then 3rd pattern splinter smock over the mantel. Your choice, depends if your going for a uniform look with the rest of your group, or just an individual look. Also if you plan to do lots of running don't wear the reverible as you will sweat like a pig!!!!, which will then freeze and you will be very unhappy :(
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I was out with Herr Marsh in March and the temps fell to -13C
I wore a service shirt, long johns, Wool uniform and a Mantel. A toque, scarf and gloves. Wool socks and marschstiefel. I was warm enough. I slept on straw in 2 wool blankets inside a zelt and I loaned my padded suit to a kid in a foxhole. I wore my M43 buttoned under my chin and I got a full nights sleep. I removed my boots and socks and wrapped my feet in the folds of the blankets.
When going to bed - prepare your Esbit, pour water into your cup as it will freeze in the bottle during the night - stir in coffee granules and sugar (whether you take sugar or not) and if cold in the night - light the stove, brew a hot joe and get a drink inside you......... keep that core temperature up.
waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

That's what I was thinking with the parka set. Great if standing around or limited activity. I'm probabily going to go with jump pants, jump boots, splinter b type 2 smock and helmet with netting.
waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

Thank you for posting some sound advice backed by experience.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

And don't forget lip salve...... those tubes aren't for fancy!
waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

but they are fancy tubes.Also don't forget foot powder
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

All good suggestions but I'd suggest just looking at the dozens of photos in the scores of excellent books on the BOB that show every version you mentioned. I'm partial to a smock with mantel underneath.

My 2 pfenigs,
Jim
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

mauser98 wrote:All good suggestions but I'd suggest just looking at the dozens of photos in the scores of excellent books on the BOB that show every version you mentioned. I'm partial to a smock with mantel underneath.

My 2 pfenigs,
Jim
For God's sake don't suggest looking in books of all things. Antiquated objects made of paper! No one uses books any more - it has to be the net or a good movie full of CGI Panthers..... Better still ask on a forum for anecdotal opinion. Noooooooo - don't use anything even approaching a physical, stands on a shelf volume of paper sheets containing period photographs..... They can't be trusted - They might be miscaptioned or even from the wrong theatre of operations. Worse still - someone might have reversed it or aitbrushed it. Can't trust books - Not these days anyway. And besides - why spend £25 on a book when you can have the latest Soldier of Underwood Dot Front combat spoon with RZM No and correct waffenampts.

(* other forms of humour are available)
dagda

Post by dagda »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
mauser98 wrote:All good suggestions but I'd suggest just looking at the dozens of photos in the scores of excellent books on the BOB that show every version you mentioned. I'm partial to a smock with mantel underneath.

My 2 pfenigs,
Jim
For God's sake don't suggest looking in books of all things. Antiquated objects made of paper! No one uses books any more - it has to be the net or a good movie full of CGI Panthers..... Better still ask on a forum for anecdotal opinion. Noooooooo - don't use anything even approaching a physical, stands on a shelf volume of paper sheets containing period photographs..... They can't be trusted - They might be miscaptioned or even from the wrong theatre of operations. Worse still - someone might have reversed it or aitbrushed it. Can't trust books - Not these days anyway. And besides - why spend £25 on a book when you can have the latest Soldier of Underwood Dot Front combat spoon with RZM No and correct waffenampts.

(* other forms of humour are available)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ! sadly so true
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

waffen44

Post by waffen44 »

book hunting is always the best part next to finding the item that you have been looking for.

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”