Iron Cross 2nd class

Moderator: Feldjager

MountainWiess

Iron Cross 2nd class

Post by MountainWiess »

I've noticed some tunics with the Iron cross 2nd class ribbons in the 2nd button hole and the actual cross on the breast pocket. Some have just the ribbon. Do you have to wear the cross on the breast pocket also? or just the ribbon on the second button hole? and why?
Cheers!
mario33

Re: Iron Cross 2nd class

Post by mario33 »

hold on your horses... What exactly is your target ? Are you still planning to make a film or else ? How real is it going to be? Have you seen an officer being active front-line sniper ? (apart from that silly 'enemy at the gates' stuff).

If an officer - then your problem is relevant (and your planned film isnt). If not an officer - why wear ribbons IN BATTLE ???

BTW. I will move the thread as its not really GJ-related. Pls keep the place tidy. Otherwise soon you would not find anything around :)
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Whats the iron corss got to do with being an officer mario? Plenty of Snipers were awarded both Iron crosses. Awards were worn in Battle. We know this.

Weiss. The second class is just a ribbon worn from the button hole. The fist class is the Cross worn on the pocket.
MountainWiess

Post by MountainWiess »

Cheers Ropes!
you've been nothing but helpful, Thank you!

Mario, I just like to post questions that I have here in hopes that you'all be good enough to help out, thats what I thought a forum was for. If I'm annoying anyone I could join another forum site and the reason I post in the GJ forum is because the questions I have are in relation to the GJ. Also, posting on a forum keeps it alive, you can visit it frequently and have something to read and interact with, keeps it interesting! :D

Oh, by the way Mario, not an officer but Oberfeldwebel. Pray I never get assigned to your troop!
Last edited by MountainWiess on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Ropes wrote:Whats the iron corss got to do with being an officer mario? /cut/ Awards were worn in Battle. We know this.
OBJECTION, SIR ! :) Photos pls - not staged by Berichters, but real battle photos. I would say otherwise - awards were predominantly worn on dress tunics, not in the field - there awards would rather obstruct movement and collide with equipment. I cant see myself crawl with award badges on... that was the 99% rule I suppose. If you think otherwise - I would love to see the appropriate photo to prove me wrong.

For snipers - see Wacker's book. Allerberger states that quite clearly - NO awards or unnecessary insignia - they form bright or shiny spots that attract enemy fire, which I presume is something he might like to avoid...

For officers it was rather different story. Awards, especially such esteemed like RK, were proudly worn, even in battle.
Ropes wrote:Plenty of Snipers were awarded both Iron crosses.
All THREE ? :mrgreen: Including Mr. Allerberger's one that is doubtful (no official records exist). Joking a bit, but EM being awarded RK was really rare, and for him being a sniper was even rarer (most of them awarded to EM were for close combat achievements, like destroying tanks etc). For officers it was surely easier ;) (even some MDs were awarded RK).

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

mario33

Post by mario33 »

MountainWiess wrote: If I'm annoying anyone I could join another forum site and the reason I post in the GJ forum is because the questions I have are in relation to the GJ.
You're not annoying anyone, including myself :) If I 'sound' annoyed - surely its overinterpretation :)
MountainWiess wrote: Pray I never get assigned to your troop!
why ? :D Nothing wrong with 'my troop' :)

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

MountainWiess

Post by MountainWiess »

MountainWiess

Post by MountainWiess »

MountainWiess wrote: Pray I never get assigned to your troop!
why ? :D Nothing wrong with 'my troop' :)[/quote]
Just having fun Mario, I've seen pictures of your troop! very impressive!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

And it proves my point, sir :) It was a series of photos that Kregsberichter made of Marcus (Hetzenauer) and Sepp (Allerberger) while Sepp was in sniper school for training. Sepp mentioned that in Wacker's book... the pics were taken for propaganda purposes.

If you want to portray sniper off front line - its a perfect photo... Depends on your story.

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

I think each unit,NCO or officers could had medals or ribbons on their tunics.
(was their own choice)

But wearing the medal WITH same ribbon was not common.

The best repro is an original...
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

The Picture is of Matthäus Hetzenauer. More than likely taken during training. Cant remember Alleberger saying that all reflective items were removed in his book Mario. Im reading it again at the moment so ill check. I was always under the impression awards were worn in the field. 3 KC were issued too snipers Mario (with sepps being unconfirmed) but snipers were awarded the Iron cross for there actions. Thats one of the reasons the snipers badge was introduced.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Just my POV but surely uniforms with insignia/decorations were covered up in combat using camo smocks/zelts etc ???,
i can't see your sniper or Grenadier for that matter removing all decorations before entering a combat zone.

Good hunting, Pipes :wink:
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

Peiper wrote:Just my POV but surely uniforms with insignia/decorations were covered up in combat using camo smocks/zelts etc ???,
i can't see your sniper or Grenadier for that matter removing all decorations before entering a combat zone.

Remember not every unit had acces to these camouflage materials ;)
CDB taking it way too serious!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

erikbozwo2 wrote:
Peiper wrote:Just my POV but surely uniforms with insignia/decorations were covered up in combat using camo smocks/zelts etc ???,

Remember not every unit had acces to these camouflage materials ;)
Cheers Erik, please excuse my ignorance, but perhaps a greatcoat/overcoat would suffice,
surely this would cut down on the amount of bling being seen if covertness is to be achieved??
Regards Pipes
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Talk about laying down the gauntlet mario. Its hard too find picutres on landers in combat that arent taken from behind (for obvious reasons lol) Heres what ive come up with. Of course it could be argued that all these are staged.

Anyhow. Weiss your best bet if you want too give your sniper awards is an iron cross ribbon. they were sewn on too the tunic button hole so taking them off before battle wouldnt have happend. A smock if its later war would probably make more sense though.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”