Kniebundhosen

Moderator: les hearn

gebirgsjäger

Kniebundhosen

Post by gebirgsjäger »

Hello
does anyone know if there was knee-pants bunch of mountain troops (WH), officially :?:
I have only seen some pictures where officers and NCOs who had borne.
manfred
Heeresbergführer

Re: Kniebundhosen

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Di' Bergkamerad Manfted,

Here are a few photos of Gebirgsjägers wearing Kniebundhosen:

Bergheil!

Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Halle

Post by Halle »

Perhaps Manfred is asking if there were specific company's of troops wearing kniebundhosen - Papa Kiser has provided evidence that they were worn by all ranks , but these pictures all look like training exercises , and probably pre/early war ? My understanding is that , from 1939 onwards at least , Berghosen were issued ( and later kielhosen) , I have never seen combat pictures of anyone other than senior officers wearing kniebundhosen - were these then a relic from the Reichswehr which the Gebirgsjager carried on ?

Bergheil ,

Steve.
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Is the chap at the back in the first photo wearing read green drill jacket ? making it wartime ?

Lot of these chaps are wearing climbing shoes / rather than burgshoe. If it's not a completely pre-war thing, could it be a high mountain battalion thing ?
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Halle

Post by Halle »

Three of the four pictures show edelweiss , so the earliest is probably 1939 , so yes , probably war , despite some of the pointed schulterklappen . Chap in top picture could be wearing a green Drillich top , equally he could be wearing any piece of civilian/unofficial military clothing , Jagers were renowned for it . The guy in front has a camera , so surely out of combat / during training ? They could be Hochsgebirgschule or hochsgebirgsbattalione , these were raised during the war and then absorbed into other units as being of no practical value . I have never heard of them wearing anything different to normal Gebirgsjager , just being more heavily equipped for their perceived missions . All these pictures , to me , look like training shots , the only exception being the chap with the camera - he looks like he's feeling the pace . So no , to my knowledge , no complete units of Gebirgsjager wore Kniebundhosen in combat , but quite probably did so in training , if anyone knows for sure , I'd love to find out , because I'm putting together a very early/pre war Gebirgsjager impression and am toying with a 33/35 look .

Bergheil und Horrido !
gebirgsjäger

Post by gebirgsjäger »

Servus
Thanks for the answer.
Manfred
George

Post by George »

Dose anyone know where to purchase a pair?
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus George und Bergkameraden,

Don't know of anyone making these. Best bet is to purchase a pair of German trousers and have a tailor alter them into Kniebundhose.

I had a pair of Swedish trousers converted that I use:

Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Halle

Post by Halle »

And I'm having a spare pair of M36 trousers converted . Where did you get those Swedish trousers ?

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”