Gebirgsjaeger pickaxe.

Moderator: les hearn

Bergführer

Gebirgsjaeger pickaxe.

Post by Bergführer »

I really wantet to own one and finally, two weeks ago I got it!
It's identical in almost every detail to original marked with 137 GJ regiment I've seen. The only thing that is different is the length of the wooden part, mine is 8 cm longer, I don't know why, but even ring and small bolt that avoids the it to get lost are the same, maybe some civilian version? I bought it for about £40 and spent seeral hours on cleaning it but I guess it was worth of that effort. Any opinions?

supermario

Post by supermario »

My Experiences with mountain picks is limited, mainly Italian versions. However, Post-war Italian picks are very similar to WW2 German ones. One point on the one you've pictured is the saw teeth on the pick end. Post war Italian versions don't have this feature (whereas wartime Italian ones do) Italian picks also tend to be a little longer than German types. There is a possibility that this is an Italian one, although one feature is that the spade end of the pick on your one is rounded (Concave in profile), and WW2 Italian tend to be a much more subdued shape, bordering flat.

Is the Pick dated at all? I noticed that there is stampings upon the head. Can you give anymore detail?

Neil

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Is there a waffen mark onthe wood and blade?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

Here are the stampings. I was searching and found out that it was
made in Austria/Fulpmes at Stubaital so in the same place where the german army issue ones. I'm adding a few photos of the original ones:

this one is stamped almost like mine: (from germanmilitaria)

and a picture from a book:

I haven't found any waffen marks or other markings, only those shown on the photo so I think it wasn't issued to armed forces but it's identical so still, it's great for a GJ impression.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I would say its post war but the main thing is if your happy with it
ImageImageImageImageImage
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

Maybe it is postwar, for me it could be even a copy - but if the shape and materials are correct, then it's fine ; ) And it was cheap too so I'm happy with it :]
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Here's mine. I just got it for 35 euros (incl p&p). Its surely postwar and civilian issue - but same production spot as for military originals (STUBAI Aschenbrenner). Its also a bit shorter (71 cms). Shown as it is now. Needs cleaning and changing of the handle loop/protective cover.

Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Heeresbergführer

Re: Gebirgsjaeger pickaxe.

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Bergführer und Bergkameraden,

Nice Eispickels! The first Eispickel by Werk Fulpmes could be either pre-war, wartime, or post-war. That's a new "Werk Fulpmes" stamp that I have not seen before. But they are one of the several foundries in the Stubai valley that makes climbing gear...even to this day.

The STUBAI marked Eispickels show the pre-war/wartime marking and the post-war marking.

Pre-war/wartime:

Post-war:

"ASCHENBRENNER" refers to the famous Austrian mountaineer Peter Aschenbrenner. He had led some climbing expeditions into the Himalayas before the war...which is where he got the nickname "Himalaya Peter." During the war, he was a Heeresbergführer. Then after the war, he continued his climbing career. He and his family own several Alpine Hütten in the Kaisergebirge/Kufstein area. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Aschenbrenner
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Gents,

Can I please have opinions on this eispickel? What is the HB stamp?????
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Obergefreiter Hansch

NO-ONE has an opinion on this? I am surprised! :shock:

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

As for the mark/stamp - may mean initials of the owner. Those are relatively easy to stamp with hot metal.

The pick-axe is surely period. Perfect for your impression :) Its probably civilian one, though. Which is not a problem - as usual for GJ :) They were allowed to use their own mountaneering equipment of civilian times...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

AFAIR the HB is the marking of the Norwegian national guard who sold these picks as surplus back in the 90s.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Stubai Aschenbrenner Führerpickel and a Stubai Original Aschenbrenner? I have one of the latter and, in comparing to a Führerpickel, I can't find any differences. Both have the early Stubai diamond logo.
Obergefreiter Hansch

FtrPlt wrote:Can anyone tell me the difference between a Stubai Aschenbrenner Führerpickel and a Stubai Original Aschenbrenner? I have one of the latter and, in comparing to a Führerpickel, I can't find any differences. Both have the early Stubai diamond logo.
No idea about the Stubai models- but mine is a Werk Fulpmes Original Aschenbrenner- so the name is at least popular!!!!!!!!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Aschenbrenner is a name of a man... A very successfull Austrian alpinist... Back in 1930 he constructed the eis-pickel in the form used all around Europe (and more) in more or less similar form until today. 'Aschenbrenner' means same idea, something like 'Aschnebrenner-type'.

Fulpmes and Stubai are producers.

And the rest is "PR&marketing" issue ;)

I dont have Peter Aschenbrenner's bio in English on hand, in German here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Aschenbrenner

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”