OPERATION DALESMAN Aug 30/31 2008

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
crossofiron

OPERATION DALESMAN Aug 30/31 2008

Post by crossofiron »

This years effort by Comb. Opps.

Re-enactors contact Karl Walls AFRA, (grenadier181)

Stallholders contact me

General contact col. blimp or give the number on the flyer a ring and talk to Col. Roberts.
Attachments
comdoppsflyer.jpg
comdoppsflyer.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Reich Crispies

Re: OPERATION DALESMAN Aug 30/31 2008

Post by Reich Crispies »

As I'm not doing Detling this year, and if I can locate a friendly group with room for one more (with a fair bit of kit) I wouldnt mind doing this one.
Failing that I shall see you there as a MOP :wink:
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Reich Crispies wrote:As I'm not doing Detling this year, and if I can locate a friendly group with room for one more (with a fair bit of kit) I wouldnt mind doing this one.
Failing that I shall see you there as a MOP :wink:
Then contact Karl and join the melee!!!!!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!!
This event has room for 24 German Troops who will each get a bed in a specially booked bunkhouse... Heated, kitchen area, wash facilities with HOT WATER.........
http://www.afra.org.uk/eventsview.aspx?Eventid=24

This is the perfect opportunity for a group or groups to get in on the ground floor of a new event that, under the Combined Ops team is sure to become a North England Winner!

Comb Ops were responsible in partnership with Bob Tomsett for the building up and success of GCR - This project should be no different.

So - whether you are AFRA or not - contact Karl or myself PDQ to book your places. This year they require a static display - After the event we will be appraising it and working with the Railway to look into a battle display etc.

SS Welcome - What they won't have is cartoon Gestapo or Algemeine etc.

(PS - we have room for more than 24 but the first to book get the bunkhouse obviously)
Emil

Post by Emil »

Does this mean that individuals will be welcomed if their Group (in my case Tiger 1 KSK) can't make it en masse, or is it organised groups only?

Emil
colonel blimp

Post by colonel blimp »

Allow me to post the answer to this, old boy. Since I now seem to be left with the problem of filling the bunkhouse as response from all sides has been ... minimal :roll: Individuals, small groups (you don't have to be allied with AFRA but do have to have valid PLI) are welcome to come and make something of the building - this year it's indoor accomodation and Alan Roberts tells me we'll suck the complete cost of hiring the building - so it's FREE indoor accomodation.

If you're interested and think you can add something to the mix, either give Max and Alex and e-mail or call Herr Roberts on 0114 2307531 - this is one of the central stations to the event as this and Leyburn are the principal 'steam' stations where the majority of the public will be congregating on the railway.

The alternative is, apparently me... on my own ... with a British Mountain Troops display.

C'mon guys - you're always complaining about having no where to play - here's one to get your feet under the table at (and it won't be on this date next year, promise).

Paul
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

well, I'll definitely be doing this as I have to go to help with all the lugging for Max's militaria stall. Currently the axis are going to be outnumbered about 100-1!

Would be cool to get a bit of a kampfgruppe going on ... if we have a late war scenario there is scope for all sorts of flotsam and jetsam :)
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

well we got a few lads from here going already.

We have a whole railway station to ourselves!
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

Right, I got an update with some more info ...

so will need some definite confirmation from people by tomorrow evening.

The station we have is Redmire station ... see a google satellite image here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 3&t=h&z=17

We have a boarding house all to ourselves, with kitchen and towels; and strangely they say that if we kill any rabbits or pheasants there we can eat them. Don't really understand the last bit myself but they seemed to think it was important enough to mention!

If we can get a few more lads along to this I think it could be very memorable, PM me to confirm attendance :)
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

This fell on my lap a week or so ago, and I have had a good go at getting some of our re-enactors from this forum to go along.

Sadly, only 3 axis re-enactors have said they will turn up! despite the organisers paying hundreds of pounds on facilities for us.

I am going to (via a third party as they never asked me to do this in the first place) let them know that sadly there will be no axis presence at this show.

This reflects very badly on AFRA and on axis re-enactors in general. The place is going to be full of allieds and despite us having facilities that crabby beltring or money-grubbing detling's organisers could only envy, nobody is going to show.

Sad, really. see you at the big shows!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I take objection there Alex - It does not reflect badly on either AFRA or Axis re-enactors in general.
Karl tried - and could not drum up enough interest.
I tried and fared no better.
The event has been staged inbetween other more established events and as a result people husband their resources so it seems.
The following weekend I personally have to sort out the huge battle display that is Victory and as a result ALL my spare time is taken organising this - Paperwork, passes, pyrotechnics, consumables, food, transport - all have to be organised.
Wensleydale is a brave venture - but as usual Alan forges ahead with no real communication or thought for others. the long suffering Blimp will tell you this is true.
He tried, it hasn't been the hit he hoped for - I think it is an indication of how saturated the genre is with events. People can and do pick and choose......

You yourself have admitted that you can only rustle up 3 bodies..... well that's about the same as we managed.

But to say what you have infers people have not discharged their responsibilities corectly and that just isn't true. It's a hobby and you can NOT force people to an event. Although some groups and organisations try (and in cases succeed)
sparky

Post by sparky »

shame this event will have no axis forces present :(
The yanks are already arriving in force!
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

I WISH YOU ALL WELL IN THIS EVENT , only that we have pressing committments in Ireland this weekend and over the next few weekends we would have sent some of our ever expanding club to attend .
sparky

Post by sparky »

any news on a 2009 event up here?
matt
Proud to be a member of - WARS Das Reich -
Where the party never ends!
robin

Post by robin »

I have just found details of the 2009 event on the Allied forum

Return to “UK reenactment and events”