Sahariana Tunic

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

nimsiemilitaria

Sahariana Tunic

Post by nimsiemilitaria »

Hello Chaps, anyone know the best source for the Waffen ss style Saharina tunic, trousers, etc. :)
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Re: Sahariana Tunic

Post by Der Spiess »

If he has them at the moment: Antz militaria on ebay.com.
Excellent quality altho from the Far East, better than the norm! :wink:
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
nimsiemilitaria

Post by nimsiemilitaria »

Thanks for the info.
John
missyd

Post by missyd »

Ci vediamo
Daniela

Dove c'e' da Rievocare noi Rievochiamo - Dove c'e' da Ricostruire noi Ricostruiamo
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads, i just thought i'd point this out (some of you probably already know). The Sahariana jacket was Italian issue, a good testimony to the comfort of this uniform is that both British and German troops were quick to wear it if they could get hold of captured supplies, it was not an SS style or SS issued tunic, ciao for now, Peiper. [quote] "I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

Peiper wrote:Servus lads, i just thought i'd point this out (some of you probably already know). The Sahariana jacket was Italian issue, a good testimony to the comfort of this uniform is that both British and German troops were quick to wear it if they could get hold of captured supplies, it was not an SS style or SS issued tunic, ciao for now, Peiper.
"I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Not accoring to Schiffers "Uniforms of the SS" the Sahariana was taken up by the SS as there standard for tropical uniforms. Given that they were issued to entire divisions (Richfuhrer SS, 4th SS etc) it couldn't have been just captured Italian stock.
Unless I've read it wrong! :D
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=4077

Time to put two threads together?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads, greetings Der Speiss, didn't mean to step on your toes. Your information is quite correct from your reference book (i know it well), however it looks as though it failed to mention where all these Sahariana's came from. Apparantly when the Germans took over some of these Italian held bases (such as many of the Greek Islands, Cephallonia or "Kefalonia" and Kos etc), the Italian army left many of their supplies behind especially when they threw in the towel in 43/44, this is what i refer to as captured stock. These supplies were uttilised by the German Army as a whole (the SS in particular), you will also see the SS wearing Italian camo, the Hitler Jugend Regiment in particular during late 43/ early 44. This Italian stock was issued generously until supplies ran out, some supply depots even stamped them when issued (i have seen such examples), as a collector of German Militaria of over 20 years i have some limited knowledge on the subject, (not wanting to blow my own trumpet), however this is what this site is for, to pool our knowledge and learn more about our favourite subject. If anyone else has a query, what little i know i will share. The trouble with reference books is sometimes they can be a little vague as the old saying goes, "History is written by the victors", thats why i look at all reference books and combine the info together and make my own conclusions. Ciao for now chaps, Peiper. [quote]"I'll show you where the hero sandwiches are made!"
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

excellent postings lads , good to learn new knowledge for future reference on the italian cammo etc thanks
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

Peiper wrote:Servus lads, greetings Der Speiss, didn't mean to step on your toes. Your information is quite correct from your reference book (i know it well), however it looks as though it failed to mention where all these Sahariana's came from. Peiper.
"I'll show you where the hero sandwiches are made!"
Peiper, Ol' fruit, my toes feel completely un-stepped upon. No bother. I would just say that altho I've quoted 1 set of books (and always do as lots of people at least have them) I own a few more (the wife says I'm a tad obsessive). I would aggree whole heartedly re Italiam Camo, but that was captured as "bolts" of material and therefore made up to German styles and was not issued on a Division or even Regiment basis. The 12th HJ Div did get Italian camo as the LAH liberated it from the Italians and the cardre of the HJ was LAH. But the Sahariana was issued on a Divisional basis and changed style, loosing the pleat down the pocket (like the change from M40 to the M42/43) so altho the style is I aggree an Italian design I'm still not convinced :oops: all the Tunics were aquired from the Italians and not manifactured by the SS in that style.
As with yourself this is a hobby that is full of new stuff to learn so if your right (and you may well be) I'd be interested to see the details etc.
All the best.
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gruss gott lads, greetings Der Speiss thanks for your response which i more or less agree with, i admitt there were changes in the design of the Sahariana (such as extra pockets and pleats etc) but i have found no evidance to support that this new example was made by German manufacters, if you have then thats impressive (obviously you have more than one ref book). As for bolts of captured Italian camo material being used there were also vast quantities of camo uniforms being pressed into service too, as the Hitler Jugend was a new unit they were issued what ever the suppliers had at that time, (such as excess quantities of captured surplus). As you probably know from late 43 onwards the Germans supplies were drastically running short and their own industry could not meet demand, this accounts for an increasing lack of consistancy in the appearance of German troops at the front at this time, hence the use of "captured " items. Some of the factors contributing to this (in my opinion) was the loss of territories where some of these items were made and also the closure of some of the Jewish Ghettos where the majority of the German uniforms were manufactured. In fact i once possesed an m44 tunic that was made in Paris along with a pair of K98 pouches that were stamped with a Brussels marking so basically towards the end of the war the Germans were using what ever they could get hold of. Anyway good luck with your research Der Speiss, as for myself iam learning something new every day, good hunting kameraden!, regards Peiper. [quote] "I'll show you where the hero sandwiches are made!"
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads, i have found a dealer selling the Sahariana tunic, it is a seller on Ebay under the name, "Panzerfaust 1943-depot 75". He is selling them for £60.00 each ($120.00) and has all sizes, looking at them myself they look the business, good hunting, regards Peiper.

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”