Camouflage caps used by Army

Moderator: Feldjager

Hannibal Brooks

Camouflage caps used by Army

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Hello all,

There are plenty of repro M41/M43 style caps out there being produced in splinter, sumpfmuster and Italian camouflage material. But has anyone got pictorial evidence showing a typical infantryman actually wearing one? Even a sniper training film I saw recently shows army snipers wearing the standard feldgrau M43 (you would expect these guys to be wearing the fancy kit if anyone would). I've seen pictures of army personnel in Italy wearing tunics and trousers made from Italian camouflage cloth, but I don't think I've ever seen a cap. Any info much appreciated!
Peiper

Re: Camouflage caps used by Army

Post by Peiper »

Servus gents, in response to your query about camo caps Hannibal, i have seen the SS spotted "Tarnmutze" being worn (SS camo cap) but not the splinter or Italian camo variety, it looks as though they were "fantasy" items which along with other mythological pieces of kit had been dreamt up over the years. However i have seen the Italian camo helmet cover being worn by German Infantrymen in a number of photo's (especially by SS personel). I hope my comments have been helpful, ps: just to let you know not many normal Infantry men of the Wehrmacht wore camo anyway apart from the zeltbahn, sometimes officers in combat Infantry Regiments such as Gross Deutchland wore splinter camo helmet covers or smocks but not many judging from the photo's i have seen. Usually the common soldier used old Mother natures invention on his helmet, good old mud! Auf wiedersehen for now kameraden, good hunting, regards Peiper. [quote] "I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
jan

Post by jan »

These caps were tailor or unit field made, very rare or never used by the typical soldier, mostly officer or NCO's had them made up if you see one on a period photo.

here is Max Wünsche wearing a cap and overall in Italian camo, Normandie front "44,

and here an Heer officer in a captured jeep with a side cap and panzer style jackets made in Italian camo, Italian front "'44,
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

There certainly were splinter caps in use, not many but they were there. Originals and original photographs can be seen in werner palinckx's book on german army camo.
kiler

Post by kiler »

Peiper wrote: but not the splinter or Italian camo variety, it looks as though they were "fantasy" items which along with other mythological pieces of kit had been dreamt up over the years.
Sometimes "fantasies" come true :wink: - here`s link to picture posted by one of the members of WAF:

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/6 ... b1ad04.jpg

However I`d be grateful if you posted a wartime photo of Italian camo helmet cover in use - I`ve never seen one but would like to (its always nice to learn new things :D )
von papen

Post by von papen »

Most of the fieldmade camo uniforms and caps i have seen have all been worn by officers and NCOs, so if yer a shutze/grenadier i'd stay away from field made camo gear! Stick to an m40 or m43 (depending on what you do.)

Vp
SS-Sturmmann Papen 7te Kompanie. II Batl. LSSAH
Zweite Zug , Aufklärungs
wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

Italian helmet covers were actually the removed hood from a parka either stuffed into the liner to hold it in place or tied on some other way, there was no official production of helmet covers in this material - nto to say they weren't made in the field
Frontschweine, Regiment 409
Jack

Post by Jack »

wolfsangel wrote:Italian helmet covers were actually the removed hood from a parka either stuffed into the liner to hold it in place or tied on some other way, there was no official production of helmet covers in this material - nto to say they weren't made in the field

Oh Matt, your such a closet anorak :lol: :lol:

Your my wife now.................. :shock: :lol: :lol:
"My wife had a go at me last night. She said 'You'll drive me to my grave'.
I had the car out in thirty seconds. "
Helmut Schegel

Post by Helmut Schegel »

The LHA acquired a large amount of Italian camouflage material while in Italy and had it made up into various items of clothing, 'privately' so to speak. Some of it made its way to 12 SS HJ(it's cadre came from LHA).
Any splinter pattern field caps, tunic, trousers etc were made up 'privately' by regimental tailors etc from zeltbahn material usually for officers or senior NCOs.
Camouflage clothing was a restricted issue to the Heer and usually on a 'when needed' basis, the only camouflage item the landser was sure to have was his zelt.
Some items like the sniper/MG team splinter pattern face mask were made, but rarely issued.
3 Kp./Jäger Regiment 83
" Regimenter sterben zehnmahl, aber es bleibt....das Regiment."
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

The Living History Association gets about don't it? :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Jack

Post by Jack »

Pug42 wrote:The Living History Association gets about don't it? :D

:lol: :lol: Yes never knew they'd been going that long.
"My wife had a go at me last night. She said 'You'll drive me to my grave'.
I had the car out in thirty seconds. "
Helmut Schegel

Post by Helmut Schegel »

Minor typo, LHA should read LSSAH, luckily a couple of sharpies noticed. :)
3 Kp./Jäger Regiment 83
" Regimenter sterben zehnmahl, aber es bleibt....das Regiment."
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Kameraden,

Here's one of my favorite photos:

Camo field caps were not all that common, but they were not rare either.

Horrido!
Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

In a program last night on the Military channel, about the fall of Berlin, there was a flash of some Volksturm men being briefed. At least 2 had splinter camo M43 style caps on.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”