Reference material on U-Bootwaffe.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Tychsen

Reference material on U-Bootwaffe.

Post by Tychsen »

Some books which I have found useful.
Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two- German , Italian and Japanese Submarine Successes , 1939-1945. By Professor Jurgen Rohwer. ( Greenhill Books and Naval Institute Press). ISBN 1-85367-340-4. / ISBN 1-55750-029-0.
The outcome of every attack made by any Axis submarine, the claim made and the actual outcome.

German U-Boat Losses Durring World War II - Details of destruction" Axel Niestle.
(Naval Institute Press) ISBN 1-55750-641-8.
The fate of every U-Boat reassessed on the basis of the most recent information to hand , fully indexed and cross referenced to give both individual loss by type and by each month giving cause of loss.
Additional information on commanders , areas of operations , Allied Captians ( Ships) and Pilots involved in sinkings.
An invaluable guide and research tool.

German U-Boat Commanders of World War II- A Biographical Dictionary" Rainer Busch and Hans-Joachim Roll. ( Greenhill Books and Naval Institute Press.) Gh -ISBN 1-85367-366-8.
Biographical details and service record of each U-Boat Commander.

Neither Sharks Nor Wolves- The men of Nazi Germany's U-Boat Arm 1939-1945. Timothy P. Mulligan. ( Naval Institute Press and Chatham Books) Chathams IBSN - 1-86176 119 8.
An evidence based study of just who the men of the U-Boat arm actually were.

Guides to the Microfilmed Reocrds of the German navy 1850-1945: No2.- Records Relating to U-Boat warfare 1939-1945. ( National Archives and records Administration Washington 1985).
A reference guide of the microfilmed KTB's of all U-Boats - outline of each boats career , successes and it's fate.
List of Commanders cross referenced to each boat , all Allied and Axis Ships corss referenced.
An invaluable guide to each individual submarine.

Chronology of the War At Sea 1939-1945- The Naval History of World War Two Professor J Rohwer and G.Hummelchen (Greenhill Books) ISBN 1-85367-117-7.
Published under the auspices of the Bibliothek fur Zeitgeschichte. ( Library of Contemporary History Stuttgart).
What happened on each day of the war by sea region - a fantastically rich and applicable reference which interfaces easily with any other record.

The U-Boat - The evolkution and techanical histyory of German Submarines Eberhard Rossler. ( Arms and Armour Press) ISBN 0-85368-115-5.
A detailed illustrated and comprehensive techanical history of the development of the German submarine from its inception to the the post war Bundesmarine.

U-Boat Operations of World War 2 Volume 1 and 2. By Kenneth Wynn
( Vol. 1- U-1 to U-510 , Vol. 2 U-511-UIT25 ) Chathan. ISBN -1-86176-024-8 AND 0-86176-069-8.
Fully detailed histories of all German U-Boats, excellent.

The U-Boat War in the Atlantic 1939-1945 Gunter Hessler.
Hessler's study of the U-boat arm written by him at the request of the Admiralty .
It incorporates some errors which have since been corrected - comes with 32 fully coloured detailed diagrams displaying U-Boat movements, fates and patrol lines .
Published by HMSO.
Now hard to fins , a good reference guide telling the history of the U-Boat arm from aGerman perspective.

U-Boat Emblems 1939-1945 by Georg Hogel ( Schiffers) ISBN 0-7643-0724-X.
All boat and Flotilla emblems , training emblems and markings , as well as Poems , songs documents , city sponsors coats of arm , details of Commanders, RK- Holder detauls of all Commanders and men of the U-Boat arm.
A useful and inexpensive book.

UBootwaffe, marine - Kleinkampfverbande 1939-1945 Trojca ISBN 83-919215-8-1.
A photographic record and detailed developemntal history of all submarine s used by the U-Boat arm.

British Vessles Lost at Sea 1914-18 and 1939-45 - listing of all Bristih shipping lost at sea in both world wars.
A huge amount of information is contained within , some errors but an excellent reference book.

Although some folks might regard these not to be strictly books about U-boats I would disagree.
Coastal Command was hugely instrumental in the defeat of the submarine - the advent of centimetre radar put the Allies ahead of the Germans ( who believed that such a radar could not be developed) enabled submareines to be located by day and by night.

Quite often it was the aircrew who provide the only accounts of the loss of many U-boats , they were the only people to see the submarines die.
( Such as the case of U-297 ).

These three books provide a comprehensive assessment and detailed research into the encounters between the Allied air forces and the U-boats.
Search , Find and Kill - The RAF U-|Boat Successes in WQorld War Two Norman Franks.
( Grub Street) ISBN 1-898697-35-3.
By "Group" Noramn Franks tells of each attack made on individual U-boats , its outcome is fully evaluated.
A detailed and excellent book to which I was pleased to make some contributions.

Dark Sky , Deep Water . First hand reflections on the Anti-U-Boat war in WWII- Norman Franks. ( Grub Street) ISBN8986697-57-4.
Mostly accounts from aircrew - but then again when you consider how few U-Boat men actually survived the war - these men are often the only wittnesses to the attcks and sinkings.
Their contribution is both valid and cannot be discounted.

U-Boat versus Aircraft. The dramatic story behind U-Boat claims in gun action with aircraft in World War II Norman Franks and Eric Zimmerman (Grub Street).
ISBN 1-902304-02-2.
West-Front

Re: Reference material on U-Bootwaffe.

Post by West-Front »

I tend towards the memoirs as being just as important as well
The Golden Horseshoe: The Wartime Career of Otto Kretschmer,U-Boat Ace

Author: Terence Robertson
The legendary U-Boat ace Otto Kretschmer was branded the wolf of the Atlantic, and for good reason. In his dramatic wartime career he sank ship after ship, sowing terror among Allied convoys and dismay in those charged with their protection. Kretschmer was a daring officer who favored bringing his U-Boat into the heart of the convoy and destroying it from within. He earned himself a tremendous reputation before his capture in March 1941, and The Golden Horseshoe makes it clear why. Terence RobertsonÆs biography of the U-Boat ace draws upon first-hand experience of conditions and the deadly game as the hunter sought to outfox the hunted. He paints a masterly portrait of life at sea and weaves in the fascinating story of Kretschmer and the exploits of his U-Boats. Kretschmer was eventually captured and interviewed by Captain McIntyre of HMS Walker, an episode which is also recounted in this book.

Format: Hardbound
Pages: 208
Length: 5.375w x 8.4375h
ISBN-13: 9781853675584
ISBN: 185367558X
Catalog ID: 142898
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

I would agree West Front , accounts from those who knew it as it was are important.
A few years ago I was given a diary which was maintained by a member of a Sunderland crew and along the way have borrowed 2-3 others all add a considerable amount to the records of the day and the narrative "from the other side of the hill" is just as important.

A few which I have liked.

U-333 By Ali Cremer.( Bodley Head)

Lone Wolf - The life and Death of U-Boat Ace Werner Henke Timothy P Mulligan ( Praeger)
Another Time , Another Place- A U Boat Officers Wartime Album - Werner Hirschmann.

Teddy Suhren - Ace of Aces.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7613

"Golden Horseshoe" - It is some time since I read it. (Twenty odd years ago approx. ) :(
Bound to be due for a second visit.
Last edited by Tychsen on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

QUITE INTERESTING indeed thanks ,
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Some how I have over looked the Uboat arm
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

The Battle of the Atlantic / the failure of the U-Boat arm represents a text book example of why Germany could not win WW2.
The Atlantic was a battle which depended increasingly on technology , intelligence and industrial output Germany simply could not compete.
The window of opportunity for winning in the Atlantic was small and whilst it existed for a period Germany did not have the resources to take advantage of it , when the resources existed the opportunity had gone.
Last edited by Tychsen on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

Fine anology James thanks for sharing these interesting historical facts with us all , you are a fountain of knowledge on the KM :) .
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Mairtin , I would be the first to deny this - in 30 odd years plus seriously reading and occasionally researching aspects of WW2 I have met very few who might qualify. :oops:
( And a number who never questioned that they didn't !- I have no intention of applying to join that "band of brothers" :oops: :oops: )
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

You are so modest James :wink: . I have few models that i built but unfortunately i would prefer they would have sunk rather than the real thing lol.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Certaintly when you look at what ther Yanks did with Prinz Eugen - post war she meant nothing - impossible to incorporate into the USN and in terms of design an unsuccessful breed of ship but today she would be a major attraction.
Such is life. :(
Likewise the treaty which meant all submarines had to be destroyed beyond those allocated to the Allied navies.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

A few more which should not be overlooked.
Hitler's U-Boat War Volumes 1 and 2 By Clay Blair
Vol. 1- The Hunters 1939-1942 and Vol. 2 The Hunted 1942-1945.

Two excellent and very detailed books.

The U-Boat War In The Caribbean By Gaylord T.M. Kelshall.

Operation Drumbeat By Michael Gannon
A great read much of it from the view through the tubes of Hardigan's U-123.

Black May By Michael Gannon - the month which saw the tide finally turn against the U-Boat.

Seizing The Enigma David Kahn. The real story behind the code breaking and various intelligence captures, some of which came from weatherships.

U-Boat War Patrol Lawrence Patterson - A highly recommended read about Teddy Suhren's "Black Cat"- U564. Apart from the text the book is a highly recommended photographic record of a war patrol to the Caribbean.

Aircraft vs Submarines Alfred Price. An old book but one which still reads wwell which focuses on the development of aircraft , radar and the counter measures developed by the U-Boat Arm.
Also worth consulting The Secret War By Brian Johnston - BBC book from the late 1970's to accompany the TV series of the same name - the chapters on Enigma and the development of cm. radar are outstanding.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Tychsen wrote:I would agree West Front , accounts from those who knew it as it was are important."Golden Horseshoe" - It is some time since I read it. (Twenty odd years ago approx. ) :( Bound to be due for a second visit.
Worth a revisit thats for sure.

See also

U-Boat Far from Home
by Stevens, David
1997, Allen & Unwin
ISBN 1864482672

http://www.uboat.net/books/reviews.html/title/253
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Cam
See also

U-Boat Far from Home
by Stevens, David
1997, Allen & Unwin
ISBN 1864482672
One I am looking for but can't get hold of . :cry:

The long range operations I find quite amazing - it seems so out of place to think of the small over stretched Kriegsmarine operating so far from home and in turn to find occasionally submarines of the IJN off the coast of Africa.
Last edited by Tychsen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

I bought a copy when it was first published, great read and well researched etc

I've seen it from time to hand second hand here in Brisbane, next copy I find its yours :D
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

"U-Boat Far from Home" - "the God eBay" has just delivered me a copy - after months of searching a search on impulse worked out.

Another refernece book which might be of use Gordon Willaomson's "Torpedos Los!" ( Bender Publications).
A decent lump of a book
Content wise

1. Uniforms.
|The Reefer Jacket , The Pea Jacket the Sailor's shirt , Greatcoat,The White Summer Tunic , Tan Tropical Tunic , Leather Jacket for Engine Room Personnel , Leather Deck Jacket , U-Boat Denim Blouse , Work Jacket , Pt Vest, Plaid Shirt, Foul Weather Coat.

2. Headgear
Visor cap , Sailor's hat , Side cap,Tropical Fiueld cap , Tropical Sun helmet, Pudelmutze, Sou-Wester , Steel helmets, Tradition Badges.

3. Cap Ribbons.

4. Rank Insignia
Lowerranks , Junior NCO's , Senior NCO's , Officer Grades,Sleeve Rings.

5. Trade Insignia.

6. U-Boat badge.
U-Boat war Badge , The Badge and its manufacturers , Home -made badges , U-Boat badge with Diamonds , U-Bootsfrontespange , U-Boat related awards -small battle units,Werfleistungsabzeichen ,Frontreif badge , Zivilnadel.

7. Gallentery and Other Awards.
EK , Honor Roill Clasp , DK in Gold, War Merit Cross , Campaign Awards - Spanish Cross , Narvik Sheild ,Krim and Kuban Sheilds , Flower War Medals , Service Awards - Tank Destruction badges.

8. Personal Documentation.

9. Donitz's Grand Admiral Staff.

10. Equipment.
Wrist watches , Pocket Waches, Ship's clocks , Binoculars , UZO's , U-Boat 7x50 Binoculars, Navigation equipment.

11. Weapons
Firearms and edged weapons

12. Miscellaneous.
Flags and pennants, State War Flag, Victory pennants, Miscel. Flags.

13. Historical Perspective - The Kaiserliche Marine .

14. The Bundesmarine - todays U-Boat men.

15. Groupings.

All in all a good guide but you get the feeling that in some areas it is an introduction.
The author has attempted to cover the major elements which might be encountered and has illustrated it with the input from some of Europe and Americas major collectors.
To some extent more information is required - in some areas in which I have gain someinsight / knowledge I would recognise that coverage is brief and is centred around specific items - greater coverage is required.
The disadvantage is that tis book deals mostly with what is in a few leading collections and insufficent coverage is given to items which are U-Boat related simply because the history of specific items are not known - eg "this came from a U-Boat".

From the general readerships point of view this is a book of collectibel items which in tuirn does tell aspects of the history of the U-boat arm - it is richly illustrated and will make black and whites come to life - a good book and IMO worth the $70 odd cover price.

( EG Had I taken time to look in it my error on rank ID would not have occurred.) :oops:
Last edited by Tychsen on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kriegsmarine”