Close combat awards ..spotting a fake

Moderator: pzrwest

ringer

Close combat awards ..spotting a fake

Post by ringer »

I went looking for close combat awards recently ...

Take a look at this .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 26_fvi%3D1

at first glance I thought " oh this is nice " but after looking about this seems to bear a good likeness to the ones shown here ( yes I know they are supposed to look the same )

http://www.soldat.com/soldat_combat_badges.htm

fourth pic down :

Id suggest these are the same thing but the one on ebay has had the symbol removed .

now of course with this being on ebay Germany the symbol is not allowed ...but the cynic in me could think " someone" has removed it to make it look as though this is genuine ...

in which case the poor buyer has paid double what he should have for a reproduction :x

In the sellers original text he made a statement he could not tell if it was genuine or not ?

anyone else seen symbols removed as if to validate somethings authenticity ?
Tychsen

Re: Close combat awards ..spotting a fake

Post by Tychsen »

eBay has so many such sellers.
A "faked for eBay" sale is a new one !
A friend of mine took a chance on an "EK1" , described as being genuine - an impulsive buy - but a one piece fake.
He eventually got his money back via PP but had to prove that the item was a fake - Mark Bentley (Tiger Collectibles) providing an expert opinion on the "Cross".
As soon as the "genuine" description was challanged the "seller" changed all his descriptions - and his previous good nature became very hostile.
eBay has more than its share of "rogue traders" all them dedicated to ripping you off.

I mention Mark's name just to illustrate that decent honest and reliable dealers do exist , an extremely good man to buy from.

See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8433
Jack

Post by Jack »

Also beware there are some VERY good Czech copies out there which sell as originale have someone in the know check out what you buy first.

34.49 Euro wouldnt get you near to a orig one.
"My wife had a go at me last night. She said 'You'll drive me to my grave'.
I had the car out in thirty seconds. "
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings lads :D , an intresting post, the Close combat clasp or "Nahkampfspange" was usually issued/awarded with a "fluted" corregated broard pin (originals). The actual pin was broard in the centre and tapered narrower towards the ends and usually did not have makers stamps, even though the designer was Ernst Peekhaus of Berlin the badge was often made by other makers, also the iron square on the reverse was placed into the badge by machine and was squeezed into position (you usually can see the machine marks either side), on fakes the iron square is usually glued or soldered to the badge instead (i have an original). Anyway gents always research before buying, regards Peiper :wink:

Return to “Medals and Awards”