Czech troops in Nazi symbols row

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
Jonny

Czech troops in Nazi symbols row

Post by Jonny »

Spotted this the had SS Division Crests on thier Helmets! What were they thinking... :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8351996.stm

Three Czech soldiers who served as part of the Nato force in Afghanistan have been suspended for wearing Nazi symbols, Czech defence officials say.

Two are said to have adorned their helmets with symbols of SS divisions while serving in eastern Afghanistan.

Czech Defence Minister Martin Bartak said their behaviour was "unacceptable" and suspended them immediately.

The soldiers' commanding officer was also suspended pending further investigation, defence officials said.

"There is no place in the army for people who think this way," said Mr Bartak after the episode was revealed by a daily newspaper.

Attempted cover-up?

Lieutenant Jan Cermak, a rapid reaction force commander in Logar province, adorned his helmet with the insignia of the SS Dirlewanger brigade, it was reported on Monday.

Meanwhile, Sergeant Hynek Matonoha drew the letter "H" crossed by a sword - signifying the SS Hohenstaufen panzer division - on the side of his helmet, the Mlada Fronta Dnes daily newspaper reported.

The emblems were reported to Colonel Petr Prochazka, the soldiers' commander, who tried to cover up the episode to protect his men, the newspaper reported a fellow soldier as saying.

Mr Bartak ordered an "immediate and thorough investigation of the case" adding that if the allegations of an attempted cover-up were true, the men would be "severely punished".

Mr Bartak is said to have recently decorated the two soldiers on their return from service in Afghanistan.

Some 330 Czech soldiers work in the Logar provincial reconstruction team as part of Nato's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), the Czech defence ministry says.

Jonny
Gren-Schell

Re: Czech troops in Nazi symbols row

Post by Gren-Schell »

Numpties come to mind! However, and I am not defending their actions... only people with a knowledge of Divisional emblems would have noticed anyway and the squaddies would probably have got away with it. 'Hohenstaufen' not too bad but WTF were they thinking about with a Dirlwanger emblem? :shock:

As a side note, I have a key symbol on my motorbike number plate and everyone I work with were oblivious to it until a mate (FJ enthusiast), pointed out my 'interesting' regimental insignia. Still havn't removed it though... so I guess I am also a 'numpty' :wink: :wink:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!

Return to “Internet and links”