Waffen SS (an innocent but potential can of worms question)

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

labrador

Waffen SS (an innocent but potential can of worms question)

Post by labrador »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in these forums for almost a year now and would like to post a question concerning banned symbols and events excluding SS reenactors. I was just wondering if, generally, in events where SS runes or SS units are banned; if someone or even an entire unit showed up in say for example unbadged Dot 44 uniforms or tarnjacke over service shirts, and unmarked helmets how would this be seen by organizers or the authorities? I'm also curious about the use of blank collar tabs. Would they still be seen as offensive due to the units they represent?

It's my perception that generally speaking, when SS units are forbidden to attend events it is due to the offensive nature of such symbols to the public. The general public would not be familiar with SS camouflage uniforms as these do not conform to the general public's notion of the evil SS type.

I would hardly pass for a reenactor on the level of most of the participants in this forum (airsofter)...But i've always been curious about issues regarding unit representation and display of banned images.

Mods, please delete if this any way offends or disturbs the sensibilities of the forum members.

Thanks very much!

Albert
Reich Crispies

Re: Waffen SS (an innocent but potential can of worms question)

Post by Reich Crispies »

This point has been raised many times. Some events say no W-SS. Thats the way it is, regardless.
The event dosent say "no runes".

Just go to an event that dosent have this issue. Simples......
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

How would it be seen by organisers?
I think it would be seen as dishonest.
I also think you underestimate the knowledge of the public and organisers.
Not all are experts but some know enough to see through such a ruse.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Yes , to even think in this way makes everyone look a fool and none more so that the men in blank collar tabs !
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

What'a the event's motivation for saying "no SS"?
What's your motivation for trying to circumvent their rules?

I'm currently organising a WW2 airsoft event that stipulates no SS. Not for ideological reasons but simply because they weren't there. If you decided to turn up wearing dot 44 you'd look like a cock, regardless of whether you had runes or eagles.

Then again, some people seem to have this almost supersticious fear of certain types of Nazi sybology, as if by wearing a swastika or SS runes means that you'll suddenly become an anti semitic child murderer. I don't know what the answer is. Any "general" WW2 event that allows Wehrmacht clobber but not certain units or runes or swastikas or whatever seems to be a fundamentally dishonest endeavour IMHO.
meyer

Post by meyer »

Any "general" WW2 event that allows Wehrmacht clobber but not certain units or runes or swastikas or whatever seems to be a fundamentally dishonest endeavour IMHO.
yes indeed
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Is it me or has there suddenly erupted a spate of "potentially touchy" topivcs being posted? By relatively inactive posters.....?

Or am I such an old hand I see things others don't?
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Each year the same types of questions are posted. Ends up like groundhog day. You just have to treat them like an Albanian beggar. Acknowledge them and they'll stay - Ignore them and hopefully they'll Fu*k off !
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Casbah Rock wrote:Each year the same types of questions are posted. Ends up like groundhog day. You just have to treat them like an Albanian beggar. Acknowledge them and they'll stay - Ignore them and hopefully they'll Fu*k off !

pmsl ..love it :D
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

labrador wrote:Mods, please delete if this any way offends or disturbs the sensibilities of the forum members.
Can they delete it if it's a boring rehash of any number of previous posts that all went round and round and ...
labrador

Post by labrador »

Never been called an Albanian beggar before but thanks for the answers. Really guys, just wanted to know your opinions, and no, i'm not planning to sneak into any non-SS events. Pardon my ignorance guys but i really haven't seen the older threads regarding the subject.

And yes, i do now realize that it would be fundamentally dishonest. But really, i hadn't seen the earlier threads on such topics.

I shall now f*ck off! thanks...really.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Wow...

Not everyone's been on this forum for ages and there's no need to be that rude to other fellow members.

But then again, it seems to be the way things are done here, atleast by some members.

But I'll **** off too.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

You can always clerify with an event organiser too what extent they want No SS (most just say no Allgemeine or SD) usually. But NO SS atall means NO SS atall. Dont matter if there wearing Political uniforms, Wools, Cammo overalls or stockings and high heels. Thats the organisers choice. Doesnt mean its right or fair but its there choice so its best too respect it.
rednas

Post by rednas »

What about the DRK (German red cross) when no political or SS impressions are allowed? It was a political organization run by the SS ;-)
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

rednas wrote:What about the DRK (German red cross) when no political or SS impressions are allowed? It was a political organization run by the SS ;-)

For me luftwaffe,army,w.ss,NSKK,kriegsmarine etc. were all part of the german ''politics'' during
the war....I see no differnt in that.
But that shall not surprise you. :wink:

The best repro is an original...

Return to “General”