Zeugmeistere 2nd Pattern Boots

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

cbrunt

Zeugmeistere 2nd Pattern Boots

Post by cbrunt »

Fellows,

If there's one piece of reenactment kit- across almost all time periods and impressions- that is always less than perfect, it is footwear/boots. Both in accuracy and fit, sturdiness, etc many imports fall flat. So... I've taken the pluge and ordered a pair of the Zeugmeistere boots, which appear to be just about perfect.

I also prefer brown boots to black. This is purely a preference rather than historically driven. So with the Zug boots I can finish is nice brown.

Anyway, I can't decide whether to hobnail or not. I have hobnailed my 1970s GI boots (which were nicely re-soled in leather). But I know many, many images show boots without hobnails. Let me say that my impression (with these 2nd Pattern boots) is generally a man that's not jump qualified and/or later war periods where having to jump is not required. So the issue of hobnails inside the plane is not a factor.

With that said, can anyone provide images and/or insight into correct patterns of hobnails ??

Thanks,

Clint
Hans Gowert

Re: Zeugmeistere 2nd Pattern Boots

Post by Hans Gowert »

evidence is there that some did hobnails boots,

plus i think its a practical thing to do as it slightly gives you more grip on grass .

but it makes you alot louder when traveling on a hard surface :)

Tom
cbrunt

Post by cbrunt »

Practicality as you mention is my primary reason for wanting to hobnail 8)

From my ACW days, I had plenty of instances where my leather soled gunboats were slippery on wet or damp grass !!!

I do French Great War, and those boots are heavily hobnailed, which I've grown to actually like anway !!!

Clint
carentan

Post by carentan »

If you're doing an impression very late war then why not wear ankle boots or jackboots, makes a lot more sense.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

"I do French Great War"

Which lot are you with ? :)
Gliderinf / Luftlande
cbrunt

Post by cbrunt »

Hey... somebody has to do French... :P I'm non-denominational.
cbrunt

Post by cbrunt »

"If you're doing an impression very late war then why not wear ankle boots or jackboots, makes a lot more sense."

Well, I'm not doing that late. Primarily I'm concentrating on the commonly reenacted periods; 1943-late 1944. While 2nd Pattern boot are slowly being replaced by jackboots and low boots during this period, they're still plentiful enough to not be innaccurate. And more importanly, I want an impression that is as flexible as possible so I can focus on better pieces of kit.

But still haven't decided to hobnail or not. As you can see from the famous late-war FJ on the Tiger II, they're not apparently wearing hobnailed boots... http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1237/g ... ew30vj.jpg
dagda

Post by dagda »

As you want to the common FJ, dont get hobnails on your jump boots, and if you reallly want hobnails, get a pair of the cheap low boots!!

job done
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”