Wierd Tankage on film

Moderator: Pirkka

Pirkka

Wierd Tankage on film

Post by Pirkka »

Just got the Finnish national classic 'The Unknown Soldier' (Tuotematon Sotilas) a few weeks ago and have finally had a chance to watch it. It's a great film, somewhere between one of the more hard-bolied US war films like Attack and All Quiet on the Western Front.
One odd thing, though - we're used in the west to seeing T-34s playing the part of German tanks. There's a scene in this film where one of the soldiers satchel charges a Soviet tank - played by a Panzer 4!
Fantastic film for 1955, well worth a look if you enjoy a good war film, and at a few minutes shy of three hours, you get your money's worth.
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Hello Pirkka,

I've read the book quite a few times, It's a fantastic read.
Where did you get the film from? Over here or an internet purchase?
Would like to see that! :)

I have a few good friends from Finland, been over there once as well, wonderful place. :)

Another good book I have read a few times is "Frozen Hell - The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940" by William Trotter, great details on arms and tactics and the progress of the war.
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Trotter's book is good, if a bit pro-Finn, but a lot better than Engle and Paananen's one. I know a Russo-Finnish historian who is trying to put together a non-partisan war history.
The same historian sent me my copy of The Unknown Soldier, as well as Talvisota (Winter War). However, I have seen both turn up on eBay, under DVDs/foreign, usually going for reasonable prices as well.
Are you at Tankfest? I can bring my copy down to that.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

double post (deleted)
Last edited by lentosotamies on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Trotter's book is a decent enough history of the war.

Sadly, if one really wants to learn about the conflict you need to get to grips with the language. Sadly, the war is too niche in regards to the point of view of a publisher for even a fraction of these books to be published.

Such is life!
lentosotamies

Re: Wierd Tankage on film

Post by lentosotamies »

Pirkka wrote:Just got the Finnish national classic 'The Unknown Soldier' (Tuotematon Sotilas) a few weeks ago and have finally had a chance to watch it. It's a great film, somewhere between one of the more hard-bolied US war films like Attack and All Quiet on the Western Front.
One odd thing, though - we're used in the west to seeing T-34s playing the part of German tanks. There's a scene in this film where one of the soldiers satchel charges a Soviet tank - played by a Panzer 4!
Fantastic film for 1955, well worth a look if you enjoy a good war film, and at a few minutes shy of three hours, you get your money's worth.
The film was made at a time of very tense relations between Finland and the Soviet Union, and was made without official backing.

Finnish government & military wished to have no part in the making, however it was made through the dedication of a group of reservists and film students.

However, that does not explain their choice of tanks.
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

lentosotamies wrote:Trotter's book is a decent enough history of the war.

Sadly, if one really wants to learn about the conflict you need to get to grips with the language. Sadly, the war is too niche in regards to the point of view of a publisher for even a fraction of these books to be published.

Such is life!
You got that right. I'm struggling through a home learning course in Finnish, but it's living up to its reputation as the most difficuly European language to learn. I might acheve understanding in my lifetime, I also might not.
It's a pity because there is a vast body of literature on the Finnish wars in Finnish.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Pirkka wrote:
lentosotamies wrote:Trotter's book is a decent enough history of the war.

Such is life!
You got that right. I'm struggling through a home learning course in Finnish, but it's living up to its reputation as the most difficuly European language to learn. I might acheve understanding in my lifetime, I also might not.
It's a pity because there is a vast body of literature on the Finnish wars in Finnish.
The best way to learn a language is immersion, after that it is a personal tutor/teacher. That can be expensive, but is well worth it for the sake of progress alone.

Swedish is slightly easier, perhaps because it has a Germanic origin. If you wanted to be authentic, and a little more practical, this may be the better option.
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

No, I'll stick with the Finnish. It's not as if I was in a hurry.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Pirkka wrote:No, I'll stick with the Finnish. It's not as if I was in a hurry.
Not often you meet someone from England who's keen to speak another language :D

Plenty of jobs out there for Scandinavian language group speakers. All a question of how far you want to go!

(edit-added below)

Don't believe the stereotype about Finno-Swedish relations, there's more to Finland than anti-Swedish outbursts, and heavy consumption of alcohol.Give Swedish a try (from a non-Swede!)
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

I already speak German, a little Polish and some Russian.
there's more to Finland than anti-Swedish outbursts, and heavy consumption of alcohol
No, there's random bursts of knife-related violence as well :D
Seriously, what's the root of the problem that Finns have with Swedes? you both seem like such nice people.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Pirkka wrote:I already speak German, a little Polish and some Russian.
there's more to Finland than anti-Swedish outbursts, and heavy consumption of alcohol
No, there's random bursts of knife-related violence as well :D
Seriously, what's the root of the problem that Finns have with Swedes? you both seem like such nice people.
Ahh- you are an ex soldier then who served in Germany? :wink:

Finland & Sweden have a close history, Sweden ruled Finland for many years, followed by the Russians. Although history provides many important lessons that should be remembered, that was yesterday. Remember the past and look to the future. Finland & Russia are traditional trading partners, and there is a great deal of cross investment in each country. Long may that continue, it means a repeat of the war years is less likely.
But the relationship today is no different than with any other geographical/historicaly close nations in Europe.

No problem - just a healthy rivalry. Especially at sports. But what nation cannot say the same?
Franz repper

English man in Finland

Post by Franz repper »

Bit late on this one I know but I am a English man living in Finland and I am part of a German reenactment unit here in Finland Michael Gaissmair witch was part of 6 SS Nord .We are a mix of Finns and 2 British
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

Were Micheal Gaissmar part of 6SS at the battle of Salla/Allakurtti in 1941? I'm very interested in that engagement, but there isn't a lot about it in English. I know that Nord were very busy in Finland during 1941.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Terve (Thats a new one For you?) yes they were at Salla they lost16 officers 245 men killed or missing 307 wounded approx number a good book is The Black Edelweiss or Seven days in january both writen by veterans of Nord

Return to “Finnish Discussion”