DAK in the ETO

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Sheikh Al Stranghi

DAK in the ETO

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Is there evidence of DAK clothing (not equipment) used in the ETO by regular troops just like HBT would be used? I know webbing equipment was used often, and that DAK clothing was quite common in italy, but for a france 1944 scenario..??? :|
Obergefreiter Hansch

Re: DAK in the ETO

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Not on general issue in the Northern regions - in the South of France certainly. If you want to portray a reserve unit in Toulouise or Marseille, it would be accurate. Not ETO.

It was also worn in Russia in the hot areas. Also, there is evidence of members of 21 PzDiv in Normandy wearing tropical kit as in uniforms and caps, but this falls under the old reenactorism of wear the normal rather than the exception. The uniforms would have been kept from their time in the Med, but the photos I have seen are all of officers!
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads, an intresting thread comrades. Out of intrest i have seen photo's of an SS Mountain Unit in the Balkans 44, wearing Tropical caps, tropical shorts and the normal issue M43 pat tunic (with the obligatory mountain boots and rolled down socks of course). I have also seen pictures of Falschimjager wearing the tropical Lufty issue trousers and that was in Normandy 44, if thats any help. It looks as if German troops wore what seemed suitable at the time (within reason of course), if the sun came out or it was a hot summer, if the individual had tropical kit they would wear it. Ciao for now, Peiper.[quote]"I'll show you where the hero sandwiches are made!"
Pietje

Post by Pietje »

I know of a penalty-unit that was still equiped with 'sand coloured' unifoms fighting near Valkenswaard in the opening stage of Market-Garden.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Although I generally agree to:
Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:Not on general issue in the Northern regions - in the South of France certainly. If you want to portray a reserve unit in Toulouise or Marseille, it would be accurate. Not ETO.
I just dont believe there were no units rushed to Normandy soon after D-Day from hotter climate areas, still wearing their tropical gear (especially tunics and long trousers). C'mon - it was a WAR ! Germans were well-orgnised usually but timing and logistics under Allied bombings were tough issues... You even half-confirm that by:
Obergefreiter Hansch wrote: Also, there is evidence of members of 21 PzDiv in Normandy wearing tropical kit as in uniforms and caps
As it was said, webbing equip was wide-spread by that time...
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Sheikh Al Stranghi

So that means I can conclude there's nothing wrong with using DAK uniform items in Normandy '44, as long as it's used sparingly and in combination with continental gear?
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Not so Sheikh.. I would say - use the old reenactment rule - rule first, exceptions later...

ONLY if you have documented base for that - i.e photos - for a specific unit.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Sheikh Al Stranghi

So that means Feldgrau HBT from Pirschen :) And keep the DAK stuff in the closet for an italian impression! :)
Pietje

Post by Pietje »

I agree,
if you want to do re-enactment than do it in a right way. Do it good and do not go for the 'if' or 'if possible' or 'maybe' or 'the exeption' .
Wear only that of what you know and is backed by research that its absolutly sure that about 99% of the men did wear it at that time, at that place in that unit... Anyway its difficult enough to portrait a general German soldier in a general infantry outfit...
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Pietje wrote:I agree,
if you want to do re-enactment than do it in a right way. Do it good and do not go for the 'if' or 'if possible' or 'maybe' or 'the exeption' .
Wear only that of what you know and is backed by research that its absolutly sure that about 99% of the men did wear it at that time, at that place in that unit...

Then what the heck are we discussing here? :shock: I'm getting tired of people repeating over and over that only the norm should be worn, because we ALL know that!
Pietje

Post by Pietje »

Sorry guy, just be free to wear what you want...

(I only wanted to help.... :?)
Sheikh Al Stranghi

AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:
Pietje wrote:I agree,
Wear only that of what you know and is backed by research that its absolutly sure that about 99% of the men did wear it at that time, at that place in that unit...

Then what the heck are we discussing here? :shock: I'm getting tired of people repeating over and over that only the norm should be worn, because we ALL know that!
Then why the question in the first place? You need to relax, Pietje was just backing up what we all are saying and that is that no units in Normandy were kitted out in trop gear apart from AD HOC useage by SOME officers in 21 Pz Div. and possibly a penal unit somewhere in the vicinity. Unless you are going to portray one of them, I would forget it... . Take a chill pill for f#@ks sake- you ask a question, we answer it and you go off half cocked! If you know that the gear was not standard issue in that region, why ask and then have a crack at Pietje- as he said, he's just trying to help. Its a good way to cease any interest in your questions in the future. :evil:
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Because the standard "wear that what is the norm" answer is useless and doesn't answer anything! The question was if tropical uniforms were worn in any numbers, the question was answered very! well, and then someone comes up and gives me the same stupid answer that's seen in 99,999999% of all uniform threads when it doesn't contribute anything at all?

As you might notice the tone of this thread was very positive until that message was posted - I just get incredibly frustrated by that answer.

It's like saying you should wear boots when climbing a mountain when discussing if tyre sandals were worn in nepal. Or something like that.
Pietje

Post by Pietje »

Thanks Obergefreiter Hansch for the support !

:( It seems I have in some way ‘frustrated’ Mr. Sheikh Al Stranghi with what I wrote
which is I think the same as mario33 wrote but did not frustrate Mr. Sheikh…. :?
use the old reenactment rule - rule first, exceptions later...
Not so Sheikh.. I would say - use the old reenactment rule - rule first, exceptions later...
Hope’s Sheikh can explain this for me? I do also not notice that the tone of my posting was not different... :roll:

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”